Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra install stuck a 5 minutes remaining

My MBP is late '11 model. I upgraded it to Sierra but was still having some problems with unrelated programs that I had downloaded. So I decided to reinstall OSX via the Cmd+R menu. It would take a lot of time but there weren't any errors and restarted but each time it wasn't a fresh copy of OSX, meaning everything was still on it. Perhaps that was what it was supposed to do. Just recopy the OSX.

So I decided to take the route the Apple recommendation for if you were selling the laptop. I formatted the main hard drive and reinstall via the Cmd+R menu again. Now it keeps sitting at "about 5 minutes remaining". I know I can have slow internet but it's not horribly slow. After about 2 full days letting it sit and still nothing.

So I know it would have finished the download within that time frame. I'm stuck currently and apple, as far as I know, doesn't allow me to download the Sierra OSX another say and install it via a USB device.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 5, 2016 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2017 10:40 PM

Hi, I also faced the same problem while clean reinstallaing mac OS Sierra and thought the download stucks everytime.

Whwn the instqllation starts it does not tell the correct time of 6 minutes or 5 minutes remaining. You just gow to windows tab and look for Installer log. In installer log just click show all Process. In that you will see that Mac os is downloading chunk file which are 471 in number and each chunk file takes approximately around 2 minutes. So if you can see the chunk files downloading then dont worry macOs is downloading on your device.

For my mac it took around 13 hours to complete the download and once you have started the installation please do not cancel it. Your downloading depwnds upon your internet network. Even if the download is interrupted you can reconnect it to the internet and it will begin from where it left off.

So dont forget to check installation log if its progressing then no need to worry Apple does that often.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2017 10:40 PM in response to The Peck

Hi, I also faced the same problem while clean reinstallaing mac OS Sierra and thought the download stucks everytime.

Whwn the instqllation starts it does not tell the correct time of 6 minutes or 5 minutes remaining. You just gow to windows tab and look for Installer log. In installer log just click show all Process. In that you will see that Mac os is downloading chunk file which are 471 in number and each chunk file takes approximately around 2 minutes. So if you can see the chunk files downloading then dont worry macOs is downloading on your device.

For my mac it took around 13 hours to complete the download and once you have started the installation please do not cancel it. Your downloading depwnds upon your internet network. Even if the download is interrupted you can reconnect it to the internet and it will begin from where it left off.

So dont forget to check installation log if its progressing then no need to worry Apple does that often.

May 16, 2017 5:26 AM in response to NowApple

I have similar situation on iMac (fast internet connection). It has downloaded and apparently installed most or all of the software but has stopped on the loading screen with the loading bar full (black). I tried once to restart manually but that just pushed the loading bar to 2/3 full; it reached the end (full/black) then has apparently stopped again. Guess I'll give it another hour before restarting again.

Jul 31, 2017 8:30 AM in response to LMV1

I was experiencing errors on start up and I too wanted to erase the hdd and reinstall MacOS Sierra however it was stuck at "5 minutes remaining".

After I cancelled the download and forcefully shut down my macbook, I pressed CMD+R and the system asked for the network and loaded the factory settings (OS X Mountain Lion). I am now planning to just update the MacOS to Sierra and hopefully everything will be working smoothly from thereUser uploaded file. Not the most efficient way to restore your Macbook.

Feb 13, 2017 3:12 AM in response to Ottiehund

I wish I had a better answer but I don't remember honestly.

After repeated tries I was thinking my hard-drive was bad and might need to replace it.

I would say repeat formatting your main partition via the CMD-R menu and run First-Aid on both main and recovery partitions.

Another thing, in my case, I have DNS forwarding to by-pass IP-Blocks because I travel a lot for work. Even though the DNS service says it doesn't interfere with contacting the Apple Update servers it still seems to. Either remove or make sure your IP address is correct in your DNS forwarding website first from another device.

Apr 27, 2017 10:27 AM in response to The Peck

I have similar problem...

I am updating my MacBook Air 2011 to Sierra, and after downloaded the new OS, the Mac rebooted and now is on the white screen with the black apple in the middle, and the progression status bar showing to be close to the end... it is already 24 hours (1 full day) in this status!!! I can hear the fan working very fast like when I use the Mac with heavy applications.

Command + L does not work

What should I do?

Many Thanks in advance

May 11, 2017 3:22 PM in response to The Peck

I tried everything but noting worked. Spent 2 whole days researching blogs, calling apple, and doing all the methods recommended. Nothing worked. Finally I had to erase my hard drive, and install Sierra all over. Worst of all, macbook air worked better before Sierra. Big disappointment I get from mac after many years of enjoying their laptops.

May 13, 2017 4:47 AM in response to The Peck

I am almost in the same situation. Installing Sierra on my Macbook air and it is on the installation screen with the apple in the middle and the installation status bar fully completed.

I tried both SMC and PRAM reset but nothing changed.

I do not have any backup on time machine, and I would like to keep some photos stored on this mac, at least.

May 16, 2017 6:27 AM in response to macgabe

Hi! I'd go back to Recovery mode (CMD+R or Apple+R) and start from the beginning. Format the target HDD before and Restart again in Recovery mode and check the progress (real progress bar) with CMD+L . There you will see the packages that are getting downloaded in order to install, you just have to pray Apple servers won't get slow and take you from a 6 min job to an over night job😮. It's not the internet connection, not the 2700Euro you spent is just Apple making fun.

May 18, 2017 3:39 AM in response to The Peck

My MacAir still stuck on full installation status bar without progressing.

I have tried with booths resets SMC and PRAM, but no luck.

Cmd + L does not work

I do not have any backup for this and need to recover some photos from in there before scratching everything.

Thinking to create a boot disk on USB key with OSX, although the instructions I have found out around are not really clear on how to make it, especially for OSX versions before Sierra.

Any help?

May 29, 2017 8:08 AM in response to smwilsey

Hi Smwilsey,

Unfortunately it is not solved yet. There are many threads about this kind issue with Sierra, it looks like Sierra has serious problems on upgrading on olds macs.

By using Command+V (verbose mode) I can see the mac doing this:

- AppleKeyStore: operation failed ........

- AppleMCP89TMS: powerGettingDown (0): Done

- SmartBattery: finished polling type 1

- busy timeout [0]......

- busy timeout [1]......

- IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, link 1

- IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, nov 0, sm 0x0

- SmartBattery: finished polling type 4

- SmartBattery: finished polling type 2

- Smart....

- Smart...

-

-

-

(It is just looping at the SmartBattery, not going forward)

Here some tips and tricks very useful:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/mac-startup-options/

However, I was able to do the backup of all data stored on the hard disk.

-> I switched off the mac (keeping pressed the power button for 6 seconds), then I restarted it again by pressing the Option key (alt), and it went on the Recover mode. Form Terminal I copied all the most important directories onto an external hard drive.

From the Recovery mode you can do many things:

- browsing on Safari

- Reinstall OSX

- Utility Disk

- Terminal

Now, I am going to:

- switch off the mac pressing the power button for 6 seconds

- restart the mac by pressing Option key (alt)

- from the Recovery mode I will use Utility disk to fully scratch the hard disk (format)

- then, staying within the Recovery mode, I will launch again Reinstall OSX

Crossing fingers!

Touching wood!

I missing you Steve!!!

Jun 8, 2017 4:50 PM in response to NowApple

Thank you! After days and days trying I managed to install it after formatting the computer, but needed some files and used time machine to go back to the old system.

The computer had been crazy slow for a while and seemed to only get worse after all this, so I sent it to a professional and turns out I have a problem on my HD and need a new one.

Do you think it´s worth it to spend on a SSD for my Mid-2010 machine instead of buying a new Macbook (4 times more expensive than the SSD where I live)?

Sierra install stuck a 5 minutes remaining

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.