Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 iOS 10.2 screen rotation bug

Bought the Air 2 almost 3 weeks ago and installed some apps. Upgraded to iOS 10.2 when it came out and now my iPad is very frequently running into a screen rotation bug in the software. The screen gets stuck on landscape mode and the only way to fix it is to restart the device. The orientation lock in the Control Center is disabled. It's okay if it happens once in a while but it's happening almost everyday now. Can someone please confirm this as a known issue with the latest iOS on this device and if there is a fix? Thank you.

iPad Air, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 7:18 PM

29 replies

Apr 1, 2017 8:18 AM in response to macki

Hello macki. Actually, this is not the screen rotation locking bug that's the subject of this thread. It's a different, widely reported, bug concerning the keyboard orientation on the search window. Some users see it upside-down, others sideways, like you. As you say, apparently it hasn't been fixed in iOS 10.3. Please report it to Apple here https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html.

Feb 3, 2017 6:30 PM in response to AS91

I have this same issue with my iPad Air running iOS 10.2.

I use a magnetic smart cover and 9 times out of 10 when I open the cover and wake the device it works fine, but occasionally it wont change orientation upon being woken up. When this happens my clinometer app shows no input.

Sometimes I have to reboot to restore the functionality, other times functionality will return after locking and unlocking multiple times, and sometimes functionality is restored if I lock the iPad and give it a couple of thuds (but that could just be coincidence).

This is a very annoying issue that affects my iPad Air 2 experience every 1 - 2 days, and sometimes multiple times a day!

Mar 15, 2017 6:49 AM in response to AS91

I'm the 239th. Have reported.

Suggest everyone calls tech support and reports it as a fault, too. They'll log it (and tell you to report it via their Feedback Form (as you've helpfully provided).

This is my second Air 2, and the last one had rotation lock issues too. My new replacement is doing the same thing, so it definitely looks like an Apple software problem.

Either that, or every Air 2 out of the Foxconn factory in China is producing faulty devices.....if you put your serial number in Google, there are several sites that will identify where you device was made (DM=Foxconn), when it was made, and all of its specs.

Very handy for checking tech details, and other details like which factory produced it and how old it is.

WIll come back and post links if anyone wants them 🙂

Mar 15, 2017 8:36 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks, Diana 🙂

I never understand why they are often so slow to identify and fix an obvious issue like this.

You'd think firmware and software issues would be as important to them as getting the hardware right.

The Air 2 I sent in because it had an endless list of problems was replaced. The engineers received it on a Thursday, took one look at it, and put it in for a replacement later that day, as it was deemed to be beyond hope.

Hoping that the charging breaks and the screen rotation on this replacement (which was only made at the beginning of March, according to the serial number info), aren't heralding the rest of the problems my previous Air 2 exhibited. It started exactly like this 😟 Both were made at the same factory (I think thrre are more than one that produce them).

If it is firmware or software causing this rotation lock, they can at least in theory fix that. Don't know what's taking them so long!

A

Jun 10, 2017 5:53 PM in response to Meeglanc

Hi Meeglanc. The fundamental fix is to restart (reboot) the iPad, by holding the Sleep and Home buttons until you see the Apple, about 15 seconds. That should put things back to normal for a while. The other suggested dodges have worked for some users, some of the time.

When you have a chance, you should update to the current iOS, 10.3.2. That might help. See Settings > General > Software Update. Be sure you're on a reliable WiFi, and on the charger before starting.

Jun 10, 2017 9:19 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Of course I'm using 10.3.2. Rebooting the way you say doesn't help. The ipad turns on with screen upside down. The only way I found is turning rotation sphere app and locking rotation. The moment I unlock it, my screen goes upside down again without even moving the device. Thanks for your help though. I'm just hoping iOS 11 will fix it If it's really software.

Regards

iPad Air 2 iOS 10.2 screen rotation bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.