Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1707 Macbook Pro 15 2016 keyboard randomly repeats the "R" key.

Grey model, 4 USB-C ports, 256G SSD, got it forr Christmas. I'm not surre what the OS verrsion or processor speed is supposed to be. Ah, found the help for the OS. It's Sierra 10.12.2

Right out of the box, this laptop has shown a prropensity to rrepeat the rr button. Not everry time but enough to be annoying. As others have done on earlier models, I'm letting the typos go unchecked.

Risk, reward. rrisk rrewaard, rrisk rreward risk reward risk rreward, risk rreward risk reward. Some times you win; sometimes, it rains.

On occasion, it even trriple repeats. The backspace is also a challenge on various keyboard settings as are otherr keys but that seems to be a known bug along with the batterry and the graphics. I've trried disabling the repeat and using differrent speeds and so on. That is the only thing I've done other than load the updates to whatever Apple has pushed out. Loaded Chrome recently. Two day old machine and it's nice but I wouldn't want to type a novel. My prrehistorric 17" MBP is still going strrong.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Dec 27, 2016 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2017 5:35 PM

I have the exact same issue with the 'uu' key that repeats randomly. Sometimes the 'u' will be repeated with a tiny delay after the second keystroke. This issue started to appear juust after light use of the machine after a few weeks. Very annoying when using VIM and typing 'u' to unudo my action which will undo twice. Disappointing.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2017 5:35 PM in response to burkhert

I have the exact same issue with the 'uu' key that repeats randomly. Sometimes the 'u' will be repeated with a tiny delay after the second keystroke. This issue started to appear juust after light use of the machine after a few weeks. Very annoying when using VIM and typing 'u' to unudo my action which will undo twice. Disappointing.

Jun 5, 2017 10:26 PM in response to burkhert

I've had the same problem and even had my 'n' key replaced, store rep tells me to schedule for full keyboard replacement. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've discovered that if i turn off key repeat in keyboard settings the problem stops and is a viable workaround. Changing the repeat speed also seems to help...

Another weird thing I noticed was that if I hold the key and swivel around on it with my finger, I can get it to repeat continuously. Symbol keys seem to do the same thing while all other alpha keys do not do this.

Jul 3, 2017 11:06 PM in response to burkhert

I have the same issue with the letter b that types a double or triple b every 10 times I use it, and my key repeat is not working, I went to the genius bar, they were very helpful, however I just realized that I will be doing a mistake to do what he recommended after reading this thread. He suggested I re install the OS and all the files and software one by one.. not by doing a restore since it's a software issue. I guess the key repeat will work if I do that, but not the b repeating, since on a test account we opened the key repeat didn't work either, but on the guest login it worked... but once again, I think the key repeating is not software related, and resetting vram and smc didn't solve it...

Jul 19, 2017 12:40 PM in response to burkhert

I too have a similar issue but with the space bar. Sometimes it will double or triple enter. AppleCare walked through the standard troubleshooting, restart, reset NVRAM, new user account, etc. Then a reboot into recovery mode to rule out OS level events, issue still persists. So these issues ARE hardware related, not software. Since my unit is a custom build off to the repair center it goes.

What a piece of crap.

The engineers view point (and edict) was thin, thin, thin, how thin CAN we make it but didn't stop to think if we SHOULD make it this thin. How robust is this design? It's a laptop, built for portability, yet this design requires the laptop to run in sealed enviroment.

I used to think Apple hardware had a superior level of engineering, that view is quickly vanishing.

Sad, so sad.

--Aaron

Feb 11, 2018 10:56 PM in response to burkhert

I found that if I use a bluetooth or wireless Microsoft keyboard, there isn't a problem with the repeating keys (an "N" in my case).

I have a difficult time thinking this is software related - maybe firmware, but the fact that third-party keyboards have no issue is an interesting variable inn this mix that makes me feel that the OS software isn't the issue.

Mar 15, 2018 8:26 PM in response to burkhert

Ugh. I've had this issue for over a year now. I've gone through all the steps Apple Support walks you through, have had the "R" key rreplaced, changed various settings based on things I've read here and elsewhere, and yet .. it persists. Looks like it's time to have the entire keyboarrd replaced.

However, I'm curious as to how Apple Support can keep saying they've never heard of this issue, when I have repeatedly told their Team that it's a frequent enough issue that if you Google "macbook pro random repeating key", you'll get a whole bunch of results?

Sorry. Just expressing frrustration that I've tried every thing I can find to rresolve the issue, and it keeps popping up.

Mar 16, 2018 2:09 AM in response to cool.beanz

Exactly the same experience - I have spoken to senior technical advisors - emailed them links to this forum, other forums and even youtube videos and of course they are not allowed to access any of those resources and claim they have never had another report of this issue.

I now have a keyboard membrane fitted over the laptop keyboard and use a wireless keyboard and trackpad 99% of the time - which works technically but it a massive fudge on a top of the line very expensive bit of kit. Being a self employed full time developer with 24x7 support contracts I can't exactly leave it with them for a week to get it replaced.

Very disappointed - wish I had gone with a late 2015 model now.

A1707 Macbook Pro 15 2016 keyboard randomly repeats the "R" key.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.