Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch won't play on AirPods

I have paired my AirPods to my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch as instructed but when I try to play music from my Apple Watch to my AirPods, they never connect. I must turn off Bluetooth on both my iPad and iPhone to be successful. Nothing magical about this experience. I noticed this morning that when I finally was successful pairing with the Apple Watch the volume was especially low. Can anyone advise a fix? Does Apple maybe need to optimize this experience with a WatchOS fix? Seems half baked to me at this point, especially on the watch. Love the AirPods otherwise.

Posted on Dec 28, 2016 2:24 AM

21 replies

Jan 22, 2017 10:29 AM in response to nickmcclellan

Hi

Some other users have experienced issues connecting AirPods with Apple Watch (after they have been paired and previously used successfully) in order to begin music playback from the synced playlist.

You may wish to contact Apple Support or make a Genius Bar reservation to seek assistance or to submit feedback in order to report the issue:

Contact Apple:

Send feedback (you should not typically expect to receive a reply):

Jan 18, 2017 1:19 PM in response to Admitsnowtnow

What's worked for me is turning your Apple Watch to airplane mode for a moment and then turning airplane mode off before you attempt to Airplay to the Airpods. Everytime I've done that I've connected to my Airpods successfully. Not a magical experience yet, but I'm happy that I'm able to connect to my Apple Watch with minimal effort.

Jan 23, 2017 6:20 AM in response to applesmartz

Of course, but instead of playback on the AirPods switching "magically" to the Apple Watch, it just spins on the watch and displays an error that says AirPods are not in range.

Fortunately, if you quickly switch the watch to Airplane mode and then switch it off and THEN attempt to connect the Apple Watch to the AirPods, it works every time.

Feb 1, 2017 8:20 AM in response to nickmcclellan

My new AirPods delivered today, i was so disappointed about the lack of seemless pairing promied by all the reviews. Setting up on my iPhone and Apple Watch was a terrible experience, repeatedly failing and not being able to connect. Had to try over and over to get it right on the phone and on the watch it kept saying the airpods were too far away, when they were mere centimetres apart.

Finally this tip solved the problem on the apple watch. Toggling the airplane mode on the Apple Watch allowed it to recognise the AirPods and allow me to swap between phone and watch audio sources automatically.

One of the worst setup experiences in my long apple history...

Guy

Feb 1, 2017 9:22 AM in response to guyPhone6

Yes, it's not seamless or magical, that's for sure. Some of the recent firmwire and OS updates will hopefully iron out the kinks.

While toggling the Airplane Mode does the trick, I have noticed that when I do re-enter the range of my iPhone that the AirPods will try to switch to it despite the fact that I'm still listening to my Apple Watch music. That bug also needs to be fixed. I have to constantly press play on my Apple Watch so the AirPods get the message that I don't want to listen to my iPhone.

I can tolerate some confusion in the paring process, especially when the iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch are all being used at the same time, but when the user is clearly indicating that they want to listen to music from the Apple Watch, the AirPods should seamlessly comply. That doesn't happen currently.

Mar 1, 2017 9:18 PM in response to nickmcclellan

I had a similar issue my AirPods paired with my iPhone, iPad etc....with no problem. But when I chose to play music from my AppleWatch it did not pair with my AirPods. So I tried unpair the watch, no luck. Hard reset helped the first time then it does the same thing no pairing with my AirPods. Went to the apple store and they told me to unpair my watch and set it up as new NOT BACKUP ! It helped !! So far it works. They told me it is an software issue since my watch had 3 unexpected crashes which is unusual for the Apple Watch according to the Apple store employee. Hope that helps.

Mar 14, 2017 3:14 AM in response to picasso1805

Mine will not sync with Apple Watch and finally after playing with turning on/off airplane mode as suggested it surprised me by syncing up but then it kept dropping off. It would play a few tracks and then I get an error message to make sure my AirPods are switched on so like a fool I looked for the power switch. Then I spent 45 minutes with Apple support just to be told to ask Genius Bar. Anyway I have scheduled a return and decided to suffer the restocking fee.

Jul 31, 2017 3:28 PM in response to nickmcclellan

I just recently bought an Apple Watch. It seems that after you update to the latest Apple Watch OS, pairing the Apple Watch to Airpods does require toggling Airplane Mode. The other thing to try is unpairing the Watch from the Phone and then pairing them again as it means the Watch will back up to the iPhone and then restore to factory settings which will also reset the Bluetooth on the Apple Watch. Hope this helps

Sep 28, 2017 4:28 PM in response to nickmcclellan

I had the same issue. I solved it by removing my AirPods from my iiPhone completely. I received a message that warned me that they would be removed from all devices. I said OK. I then started the pairing process with my iPhone for each of my AirPods (I have two of them named different names). Then I was able to go to my Watch 3 and re-connect to the AirPods I wanted to use and it all worked great from that point.

Apple Watch won't play on AirPods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.