Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

F4 Key on my MacBook Pro Late 2016 with TouchBar doesn't seem to work

I migrated to my new MacBook Pro and for some reason the F4 key doesn't seem to do anything. I first noticed it while trying to do something in a VMWare Horizon app where I had F4 mapped. But I now see it doesn't work on the mac itself. If I open the Keyboard Viewer all Function keys press the corresponding key on the virtual keyboard with the exception of F4. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), MacBook Pro Late 2016 with TouchBar

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 4:39 PM

Figured it out! It's google pages in Safari. For example inbox, or gmail, or google calendar. If one of those is loaded in Safari after about 20 seconds F4 will stop functioning. Verified this on a second MacBook Pro late 2016 with Touch Bar.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open Keyboard Preferences

2) Keyboard tab

3) Ensure "Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar" is enabled

4) Go to menubar and under the keyboard viewer/language flag menu select "Show Keyboard Viewer". This will show a virtual keyboard.

5) Press F4 on your MBP (either in TouchBar or external keyboard). Notice F4 flashes on virtual keyboard.

6) Open Safari and log in to one of your google accounts, like gmail, inbox, Calendar (haven't tried others)

7) Start pressing F4 continuously

8) After about 20-30 seconds F4 will stop flashing on the virtual keyboard.

9) Close the google tab

10) After 30-50seconds F4 will start functioning again.

This seems to be only happening on the new MacBook Pros. My old one didn't behave this way.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2017 4:39 PM in response to Proggie

Figured it out! It's google pages in Safari. For example inbox, or gmail, or google calendar. If one of those is loaded in Safari after about 20 seconds F4 will stop functioning. Verified this on a second MacBook Pro late 2016 with Touch Bar.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open Keyboard Preferences

2) Keyboard tab

3) Ensure "Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar" is enabled

4) Go to menubar and under the keyboard viewer/language flag menu select "Show Keyboard Viewer". This will show a virtual keyboard.

5) Press F4 on your MBP (either in TouchBar or external keyboard). Notice F4 flashes on virtual keyboard.

6) Open Safari and log in to one of your google accounts, like gmail, inbox, Calendar (haven't tried others)

7) Start pressing F4 continuously

8) After about 20-30 seconds F4 will stop flashing on the virtual keyboard.

9) Close the google tab

10) After 30-50seconds F4 will start functioning again.

This seems to be only happening on the new MacBook Pros. My old one didn't behave this way.

Mar 16, 2017 4:05 AM in response to Proggie

I had a similar F4 key no longer working on my 2013 iMac when I upgraded from 10.10.5 to 10.12.3 this week. The Q&A here helped me go looking on my computer and I found two. Look under Systems Preferences / Mission Control. There you have some choices. You can create a Hot Corner. Or you can active the Dashboard switching from 'Off' to choosing 'As Space' or 'As Overlay'.

User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2017 2:47 PM in response to Proggie

I was having the same problem and found out that iTunes was causing this to happen.

When I plug my iPhone7 into the USB-C port it launches iTunes. After that F4 will not work any longer.

When I end iTunes (double check that is not running via Force Quit) F4 will work again.

I'm guessing it's a bug, but I haven't had a chance to call support and report what I found.

Hope that helps you....

Jan 3, 2017 2:55 PM in response to Group33

In my case my iTunes was not running. I started it up and quit it again just in case. Also I unplugged my iPhone 6 and it made no difference. I have other dongles connected to my USB-C ports though (Ethernet/USB, and two DVI). I'm logged into my work account as I'm at work so will unplug everything and restart and see if it still happens after work (on both home and work accounts).

Jan 3, 2017 3:43 PM in response to Proggie

It seems to be some kind of conflict between one or more of the following: VMWare Horizon Client, Magic Mouse (and/or MagicPrefs), Safari. A couple of times I was able to fix it by quitting all the apps and turning off the MagicMouse and logging into my VMWare Horizon Client. And then it stopped working a few seconds later after I started either the MagicMouse or Safari. Could do this a couple of times, but then when I tried to narrow it down further I couldn't reproduce the "fix", so now it's not working again.

Not sure why it worked fine on the old MacBook Pro and only started behaving this way with the new one even though I'm running the same software.

Will play around with it more to see if I can narrow it down.

Jan 27, 2017 8:16 AM in response to brown.stone

For me it's iTunes as well. I independently figured this out before I found this thread.

Once you close iTunes, you can wait about 45 seconds and F4 will start working again. This didn't happen on my mid-2015 MBP, it only started happening with my new 2016 15" MBP with TouchBar.

This is super-annoying, because I use F4 constantly in my Parallels VM when doing software development.

Feb 10, 2017 2:16 AM in response to Proggie

Apparently this has something to do with touchbar driver. There is a process called 'NowPlayingTouchUI' launched, running at background, when iTunes is started. When you press F4 key, you can see this message in the console:

NowPlayingTouchUIwrote view description of <NPUNowPlayingPopoverViewController: 0x6000000ec700> to (null)

When iTunes exits, NowPlayingTouchUI exits as well, thus F4 key is working again.

I can't seem to find a way to customize iTunes' touch bar. If there is a way, maybe we can adjust the setting there to make it work.

Oct 3, 2017 12:59 PM in response to Proggie

I just bought a new MacBook Pro with the TouchBar to replace an old iMac that finally quit. It's my development system and I am a frequent user of function keys in my software development tools.

After struggling a day to get used to the Touchbar and configure it for my needs, I too became a victim of this problem. My F4 key stopped working as well. I realized it stops working when iTunes is running which is unfortunate as I keep iTunes running in the background for music.

Frankly, I'm stunned that Apple has allowed this problem to fester for this long. It is unacceptable to say the least. So long as I don't use iTunes, I'm good but that is a short-term solution. I simply plug my iPhone into my speakers and move on but clearly, that's not the ideal solution.

Are you listening Apple? This this problem apparently has been an issues since the new Touchbar machines were introduced early last year in 2016. It's nearing the end of 2017. How long does it take to resolve this?

Nov 1, 2017 8:05 PM in response to Gmon750

Update: Problem is worse. iTunes will disable the F4 key, and will only work again when logging off MacOS or rebooting the system.

Now, I find that playing videos in Safari will also disable the F4 button.

Now, I just discovered today that any videos I download and am playing locally on my MacBook will ALSO disable the F4 key!

So basically, my $3,000 laptop is good for doing my software coding, but ONLY if I DO NOT do anything else on it the entire day!

This has been a problem since day one on the TouchBar MacBooks, and Apple STILL hasn't resolved it?

Thanks a lot Apple. I expected better of your products. It's past my 2-week window to return this so now I'm stuck with a semi-functional machine.

If you do any kind of coding work on your machine, stay as far away as you can from the TouchBar models. Apple doesn't seem to care at all about resolving this issue.

Nov 13, 2017 3:41 PM in response to aperger

Since I use my MacBook for software development, my solution is to run iTunes in a Windows 10 virtual machine and tell people that I have to run Windows in order for my Mac to run properly. 🙂

And that is what I will continue to tell my MacBook-owning developer friends to do, just to embarrass Apple for taking so long to fix this bug.

F4 Key on my MacBook Pro Late 2016 with TouchBar doesn't seem to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.