Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete an incorrect contact number in Imessage on Macbook

How can I remove an incorrect number from showing in the drop down list when sending a new Imessage to the person in question from my Macbook? The one showing Text Message is the wrong one. I just got the last 2 numbers backwards when I setup the contact originally. I have removed all the messages to/from this person and I was able to remove it from my Iphone, but it still shows in IMessage on my computer.

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 11:19 AM

9 replies

Jan 5, 2017 12:00 AM in response to ke715

Right click or Ctrl click on the name section highlighted (top one).

User uploaded file

At the bottom of the menu should be contact numbers if available, but as said previously can't see how to remove them if not required any more - think they also come from Contacts.

I can't think of anything more to remove the incorrect number.

Jan 4, 2017 12:11 PM in response to ke715

I always thought Messages gets it's contact info from "Contacts" - have you tried going into Contacts and look under that particular person and see if you have the incorrect number showing, if so just delete it.

The the above is just a guess, but worth a try.

ps. or you might have two separate entries in Contacts for the same person but with different numbers, one of which could be the incorrect number.

Jan 4, 2017 1:25 PM in response to ke715

Not sure what would clear Messages cache (if that's retaining the incorrect number) - booting into Safe Mode (holding "Shift" key when restarting) will clear a few things up, but not sure which - you could try, it won't do any harm.

Also noticed if you right click on the message (left side of window) you get various options and at the bottom contact numbers, does the incorrect one show up there - not sure how it's removed though if not in Contacts.

Maybe the only way will be to delete the message for that person and start again, maybe someone else might be able to help further.

Jan 5, 2017 5:17 AM in response to ke715

Just thought of something else you could try, had issue when running El Capitan that when ever I rebooted the iMac the first text message sent (via the iMac) would always fail - send bar used to stop at 80%. I would delete that text (from the left side of the App) and try again, and it would then send, never worked out why but thankfully Sierra resolved that issue.

What might be useful for your issue is that I remember when first sending the text the number appeared in a drop down menu when I started to type the name and I just clicked to select it, after the initial failure to send (and subsequent deletion) when trying for the second time I seem to remember not having the number in the drop down, I'm almost certain I had to type it in complete, it was as if the failed first attempt had some how removed it.

Now this is going back a bit so hope I've remembered correctly, but if you can try and send using the incorrect number and get it to fail you might find it not appear the next time you attempt to send to that person. How you get it to fail I'm not sure, may be turn on Airplane Mode (iPhone) or click cancel before it completes (if that is possible).

Best of luck.

Jan 5, 2017 6:48 AM in response to SiHancox

Thanks for your help in trying to help me. Unfortunately, the problem is with the MacOS and not the iOS. I use Exchange for my contacts and not icloud and I have removed the numbers and the name from every possible place it could be. The cached number does not show on my Iphone or Ipad, just MacBooks. Frustrating.

Thanks for your help SiHancox.

Jan 5, 2017 7:23 AM in response to ke715

Don't think there is a fix, the problem stems from Apple only providing an option to remove messages "recents" on iOS (and not macOS) - some think that because of iCloud if you delete on iOS it will get synced across to the macOS, but it doesn't appear to be so (not for me anyhow, been trying for last hour).

I don't have any missed typed entries but I have quite a few old contacts that I used to message but they have long changed there number, I updated Contacts when they changed but on typing there name to send a message recents appears to retain there old number as well as there current.

Think we will have to wait on Apple to see if they add a deletion function for macOS Messages recents.

How do you delete an incorrect contact number in Imessage on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.