Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to activate Touch ID on iPhone

My Touch ID is not working on my Iphone 6s, I did everything suggested on the net how to resolve it but to no avail. I tried several forced power of and restart but still the prompt out message "unable to activate touch id on this phone" come out. My ios is updated to 10.2. Also noticed that my 100% battery is fast to drain than to my usual usage. I need an immediate reply from this problem as it make me unease on this regard. I searched for an answer but i read thousands of complaints but has no confirmed solution. Does Apple did some action to this? Are waiting to come up this problem to international television? Do a reliable answer as soon as possible.

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 7:02 AM

Hello DAD29,
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand from your post that the Touch ID on your iPhone 6s is showing an error message saying "unable to activate Touch ID on this phone" and your battery is draining quicker than it normally does. I know how important it is for your Touch ID to be working properly for you and for your battery to last throughout the day. Please follow the steps below to address your Touch ID issue.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad
  1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.1 For the Home button, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.
  3. Your finger should cover the Home button completely, touching the surrounding metal ring. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring.
  5. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on, and that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support.

Regarding your battery depleting faster than normal, I recommend checking the battery usage and using the tips in the following articles:

About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Best Regards.
48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 7:02 AM in response to DAD29

Hello DAD29,
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand from your post that the Touch ID on your iPhone 6s is showing an error message saying "unable to activate Touch ID on this phone" and your battery is draining quicker than it normally does. I know how important it is for your Touch ID to be working properly for you and for your battery to last throughout the day. Please follow the steps below to address your Touch ID issue.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad
  1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.1 For the Home button, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.
  3. Your finger should cover the Home button completely, touching the surrounding metal ring. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring.
  5. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on, and that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support.

Regarding your battery depleting faster than normal, I recommend checking the battery usage and using the tips in the following articles:

About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Best Regards.

Mar 5, 2017 7:48 AM in response to DAD29

Hi DAD29. I have the same problem. Just replaced my battery and that didn't work. Even on airplanemode, location service off, all my apps closed, all my notifications off and screen off my battery only lastst a couple of hours, no more than four. I have the latest version of iOS, in settings I can not put 'iPhone unlock' 'or iTunes &App store' on, all my fingerprints are removed and when i try to make new ones it says 'failed unable to complete touch ID setup. Please go back and try again. I don't mind that my touch ID isn't working but my battery is a big problem. Have you found a solution yet?

Regards,

Matt

Apr 28, 2017 3:17 PM in response to DAD29

I Have same problem last night picked up phone 6 to use it and home button was so hot no other part of phone was hot, the all of a sudden battery went from 3/4 charged to almost dead little bit of red line charge left. Then each time I tried to open phone I had to put passcode in as Touch ID wasn't working. I charged over night and tried to reset my Touch ID this morning but it just keeps giving me the error message unable to complete Touch ID set up. Also when I turn off then on the phone it says unable to activate Touch ID on this phone.

May 9, 2017 3:13 AM in response to anaaa

Continued..

it pops up saying Touch ID

Unable to activate Touch ID on this phone.

I tried turning it off and on to no avail.

It is greyed out in settings so I can't add fingerprints.

I got to work and had about 85% battery, had a meeting that went for about 3 hours, my phone was at my desk, wasn't using it, came back to 22% and the button area was extremely hot.

Had it on charge the rest of the day but the button has been getting hot on and off.

Still can't use Touch ID

All I'm reading online is to go into a store. I feel extremely drained by this already

May 9, 2017 4:58 PM in response to DAD29

Ok I rang apple tech support. They accessed my phone remotely and confirmed that the home key is malfunctioned and that it was no longer able to be used as touch ID and that it was draining the battery as it keeps checking for it. My battery and other hardware came up all ok. They told me to book appoint at apple store to have the home key replaced but as I am 1 month our of warranty I would have to pay and it was very expensive. I went to our little local phone repair guy and he replaced my home key for AUD $40. When you replace your key it stops the battery draining and phone works as normal but you WILL NOT have touch ID as only the original button is registered with your phone.

Jun 6, 2017 10:21 PM in response to sakutow

Similar problem after 10.3.2 update. Managed the first time with a total reboot. Then stopped working again after 4 hours and would not let me re add fingerprints. Have wasted hours trying to resolve this. It's just not good enough of apple to keep wheeling out solutions that don't work. I don't have the battery issue just the loss of fingerprint recognition. If it's a update issue please just tell us!!!

Jun 26, 2017 7:00 PM in response to DAD29

Same problem and such a stupid answer.

Just about 30 minutes ago, my phone started to not recognize the touch ID.

I tried rebooting, but the touch id is turned off and i can't turn it on again. Getting an error message.

Googled everywhere and the same copy & paste answers - clean your surface blah blah. As if we don't even know how this thing works.

Major bug apple. Don't pretend it's not there.

Get a fix for it now.

Jan 5, 2018 1:57 PM in response to DAD29

I have this question too; the touch id stopped working yesterday and no attempts at rebooting, or even going into settings works. it just says, "Touch ID cannot be activated on this iPhone" the second it boots up. It doesn't even try.

It's definitely not my home button because I get the error before even touching it.

Apple should fix this because as of now, I can't/ won't buy anything from iTunes or the App Store.

Surely they don't want that, right?

Jul 4, 2017 3:50 PM in response to NattyWhite

NattyWhite wrote:

I'm having the same issue too. I have an iPhone 6 and it keeps saying unable to activate Touch ID.

Any real solutions would be great. Did everything suggested and stillnoth

Did you follow the suggestion to make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store? If not, that's what you need to do. It sounds like a hardware problem to me.

Unable to activate Touch ID on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.