Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting prohibited sign at OS startup help...???

Hi I am getting a prohibitied(like the no smoking sign) sign instead of an apple at the when I first start up my mac...Anyone have this problem...?

thanks

huh?, Mac OS X (10.4.7), none

Posted on Dec 22, 2006 9:50 PM

16 replies

Dec 23, 2006 5:37 AM in response to Javicbr

Well, yes, every time that you do that it could result in a corrupt file or directory and lead to more problems down the road.

you should not be getting a k/p, you may need to repair the drive.

disk utility, fsck_hfs, applejack, Disk Warrior 4.

Boot from DVD or alternate drive; or into single user mode to get to the command line.

3rd party PCI or RAM or even some USB devices?

Again, run Apple Hardware Test is best first step.

And do some deep cache cleaning of cached fonts, extensions etc.

Dec 25, 2006 3:58 PM in response to The hatter

ok did that..came back no problems found...I did a major cache cleaning...What seems so weird to me is that it only happens when the computer has been off for a while. If I turn it off now and turn it back on in a few minites it will load without a problem...But If I leave it off for like a few hours then It will give me the problem. By the way I just purchased this macpro about a week ago from apple...Any other clues....? I called the reps at apple and they did a reinstall of Mac OS with current files saved(otherwords I don't lose anything) he told me if it happens again the next step is total erase and reinstall of everything..I hope I don't need to do that...Any other clues..?

Dec 26, 2006 2:06 PM in response to Javicbr

Hello Javichor,

When you get the machine to boot, did you try Disc Utility? (Finder/Go Menu/Utilities) Try running the First Aid, which would enable you to verify the disc and, in many cases, repair it.

Also, read this article on Disc Utility and fsck checks, and this one on Repairing A Startup Disc & Permissions. It's diagnosis by elimination; but one of these should offer some clues as to what's wrong.

And then, of course, there's Disc Warrior 4, as already mentioned.

Best wishes,
Martin

If you found that this contribution helped to answer your question, please consider awarding some points. Why reward points?

Powerbook 15-inch G4 1GHz Mac OS X (10.4.8) Several veterans that go on and on. 40gig, 3rd generation iPod

Dec 26, 2006 2:29 PM in response to Javicbr

Actually, before you even use any drive, it is becoming a wise idea to zero the drive (more than just reformat or erase) and then do an install.

Also, good way to learn how to and get in the habit of making a backup clone of your OS and data in the process, something, unfortunately, is all too necessary with updates and upgrades, as well as for the unforseen (like installing something and having problems).

You can always just hold down Command + s on startup, then follow the instrutions at the command line prompt for running

/sbin/fsck -fy to run diskutil - the same as the fsck_hfs that would get run from GUI of Disk Utility. (Later, you can install Applejack and run even more commands easily from a menu in Single User Mode environment).

While an Archive & Install "should" work and does retain settings, sometimes you do need a full erase and install.

Some drives might be taking too long to warm up on startup (Maxtor?) as MacPro seems to fly when booting (20 seconds is common). Some drives even have a delayed or staggered spinup routine.

Note that without details anything is guessing. Make-model-revision and firmware can play a role.

Dec 28, 2006 5:58 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks for all the help. I just completely reinstalled the OS and that seemed to fix it..The funny part is it worked perfect until I unpluged the computer from the electrical socket for a day then pluged it back in, got the message again..Are these macpros supposed to always be pluged in?? The reason I unplug it from the wall is because I live in miami and there is alot of thunder storms around here...So could it be that I unplug it from the electricity that is causing the problem??

thanks

Dec 28, 2006 11:05 PM in response to Javicbr

My system is on UPS, but I turn off the UPS at night so there isn't any power going into it. That actually can't or isn't the reason for trouble - unplugging is more like a mini SMC_Reset.

I would put it on a hefty UPS, on its own circuit so it isn't sharing it with anything (well, maybe a lamp).

So if there are storms, should be reason enough to get a UPS and make sure that your modems and router are also going through UPS first to protect your equipment.

Maybe that outlet it was plugged into isn't wired and grounded or something?

Apr 6, 2007 1:43 PM in response to Javicbr

You can have four drives. Take them out, shuffle them, put them back in differently, and even if there were two RAIDs, the RAID would still work and you would still boot just fine.

You have a hardware issue. Run AHT. Reset SMC. Take it in or call. Remove USB and PCIe 3rd party. I have half a dozen FW drives - but I dont' use FW consumer electronics. I do have two USB2 printers, camera and scanner, along with k/b and mouse.

Getting prohibited sign at OS startup help...???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.