Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long does the Apple ID recovery take?

It has been 5 days since I've requested to recover my Apple ID. How long does this process take? I had two way authentication enabled and when I moved to another country, I no longer have access to my US phone number, which means I can't get the six digit code. Now that I'm locked out, I can't remove the Apple ID from my apple devices which means I can't create a new Apple ID and count the old one as a lost. There has to be a easier way. I can't download apps, I can't check emails, I can't synch devices. This is terrible. I've called apple and have given every piece of information I have to prove it's me and they still can't speed up the recovery process.

Posted on Jan 9, 2017 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2017 10:44 PM

I gave up at the 2 week mark. I ended up getting my old phone number re-activated for just one day in order to receive the numerical security code to unlock my account. Was a super pain in the *** and cost me $30 to have my old phone turned back on for a day. After my account was unlocked, I IMMEDIATELY removed the two factor authentication from my account. Apple must change this process! Wars have been fought and won in less time than it takes Apple to figure out how to identify the actual user and unlock the account.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2017 10:44 PM in response to jackieoliverio

I gave up at the 2 week mark. I ended up getting my old phone number re-activated for just one day in order to receive the numerical security code to unlock my account. Was a super pain in the *** and cost me $30 to have my old phone turned back on for a day. After my account was unlocked, I IMMEDIATELY removed the two factor authentication from my account. Apple must change this process! Wars have been fought and won in less time than it takes Apple to figure out how to identify the actual user and unlock the account.

Apr 1, 2017 4:22 PM in response to LACAllen

Thank you for the response. If the Apple store would have access to help recover the AppleiD it would make things less frustrating. If the cc changed for any reason. The apple id is no longer used and the trusted device's phone number was entered but apple id never logged on the trusted device. There is no way to get the ccv code since the card was lost. If they need to know who your are, it would make sense to go to the store and have a live rep at the store that would be trained to help in these situitions assist in making these issues less frustrating. Just like a bank. You have to go in order to make certain decisions on your account are made ny verifying your identity. I guess we will leave it to the automatic machine to verify the identity and continue waiting.

Fyi. Not venting at you just frustrated.

Apr 1, 2017 4:05 PM in response to tolguin1

Apple needs to have a better response time on these matters and/or have a human department that resolves these issues over the phone and at the Apple stores to make this process easy instead of creating frustration.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

FYI, this recovery process can take as little as 3 hours.

What makes it drag on is if your trusted phone number has changed since enabling 2FA, and you did not take the effort to to update your accunt.

Also, if your method of payment has changed, including the CVV, and you do not update it in your Apple account.

These 2 things alone may add weeks to your recovery.

Bottom line, users have more control over this situation than they will acknowledge.

When you enabled 2FA, you accepted these higher burdens of proof regarding your identity.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 1, 2017 4:32 PM in response to tolguin1

If they need to know who your are, it would make sense to go to the store and have a live rep at the store that would be trained to help in these situitions assist in making these issues less frustrating.

A system subject to failure and compromise.

If you read the news, you will see that Apple is many times more secure than banks. I would suggest banks NOT be the measurement of effective account security.

I doubt Apple will ever openly admit this, but I suspect the un-knowable delays are meant to frustrate.

Not the account holder. Those who would try to compromise your account.

Lets face it, they want the lowest hanging fruit. The accounts that can be compromised the quickest. They will not wait any significant length of time to recover an account.

This is likely why the amount of identifying personal information you can provide, as quickly as possible is proportional to how long it takes. Only the rightful account holder would wait weeks to recover their account.

If it was easy to do, I could recover accounts all day without knowing anything other than your Apple ID.

Without your trusted device information and your valid method of payment data, that's all you're actually giving the recovery system.

Jan 14, 2017 4:28 PM in response to ApacheD

I can't remove the Apple ID from my apple devices which means I can't create a new Apple ID and count the old one as a lost.

Recovering access to your device(s) is separate from recovering your Apple ID.

Once the activation lock is removed, you can certainly create a new Apple ID and move forward.

You must call Apple Support, if available in your current location, to ask for this.

Apr 1, 2017 3:48 PM in response to ApacheD

I have the same issue, its been since 03/15/17 and still no response. Everyone at Apple keeps saying is a security thing and automated. Out of their hands, etc... Well, Apple needs to have a better response time on these matters and/or have a human department that resolves these issues over the phone and at the Apple stores to make this process easy instead of creating frustration. They say 2 or more days! The kicker is they say 2 and will not say another number so it sticks in your head as, oh it will be fixed in 2 days. I am an android user and this makes me think twice about switching over to Apple. Having a top of the line device as a paperweight! Go figure! There has been a rep that has maintained in contact with me but still no ETA or anything else to resolve this issue.

How long does the Apple ID recovery take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.