Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10: should it load on older iPads, or is this another example of planned obsolescence?

Although the Apple site doesn't say that I can't, my iPad insists that iOS 9.3.5 is the newest update. It wont find (or download) iOS 10. Since I'm suddenly having problems with the Internet with my iPad (and only my iPad—everything else is working fine on my home wireless network) I was hoping the updated operating system would fix the problem. I can't seem to find any support for my problems on the Apple website.

Instead of wasting their time on watches or artificial intelligence, it would be nice if Apple continued to support their existing products.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), I also have an iMac

Posted on Jan 11, 2017 5:12 PM

21 replies

Jan 11, 2017 5:41 PM in response to exLuddite

Depends on your exact model of iPad. Some iPads are now almost 7 years old.

There are in fact some older models of iPads that cannot update to iOS 10.

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy. Why cannot it not be simply that hardware in some cases simply and logically cannot continue to correctly and satisfactorily run newer operating systems which are more resource intensive and demanding than before?

How long do you suggest Apple needs to support a specific model of iPad? and why? Or is it just an arbitrary requirement.

Also generally updating, compounds any issues already present. Its best to troubleshoot issues before updating so any issues that may crop up after updating can be solely attributed to the update rather than be potential carry overs.

If your iPad is having issues, try the normal Troubleshooting techniques:

1. A Reset may cure some bugs. Hold down the Home and sleep/power buttons until the apple logo shows up.

If still not resolved:

2. Reset all Settings. Go to Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings

If its still not resolved:

3. Restore the device as new.
    Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings - Apple Support

Jan 11, 2017 6:04 PM in response to exLuddite

exLuddite wrote:

Instead of wasting their time on watches or artificial intelligence, it would be nice if Apple continued to support their existing products.

Lots of us would prefer that Apple continue to innovate and improve rather than wasting time trying to make new software compatible with hardware not powerful enough to support it. Doing what you suggest would lead to Apple becoming a moribund, unprofitable company, not able to support anything.

Much as I love my iPad, I use my Apple Watch a whole lot more.

Jan 11, 2017 6:23 PM in response to exLuddite

So,

How far back would you feel Apple should continue to support their older, legacy products?

On the computer side, Apple supports older Intel model Macs for up to 6-7 years! with OS upgrades/updates.

Older PowerMacs were supported, under OS X, for 6-7 years.

Computer technology doesn't move as fast as mobile device technology.

Mobile device technology becomes less powerful and obsoleted quicker with upgrades/updates.

4-5 years seems to be the cycle on Apple's mobile device support for iOS upgrades/updates.

Doesn't mean your mobile device is going to stop working?

It will still receive app updates for another year, maybe two!

So, if you hang onto your iDevice for another year or two, then the device was still effectively working for your needs for?...6 or 7 years!

Hardly "planned obsolescence" which the term, for me, at least, is much like a verbal malaprop or oxymoron!

A term started by technology users who can't cope with the fact that their new, current, expensive electronic computing devices are becoming slower, less convienient, less powerful and becoming obsolete faster than these users think it should.

How long do you think TV/monitor manufactures, DVD/Blu-Ray/ streaming media player manufactures, electronic, digital camera/video camera manufacturers, electronic musical instrument manufacturers should support all of their old, aging, legacy products?

This is a very subjective, rhetorical and circular argument.

Jan 13, 2017 5:07 PM in response to Briansyddall

Cars are constantly being improved (although some improvements aren't) and new features are being added. But the older ones still work. No one has yet deliberately flooded the market with vehicles which can only run on some new fuel, which will make previously manufactured automobiles obsolete. My nine-year old Nissan, despite lacking these improvements, was running fine to the day someone managed to total it in a low-speed accident (thanks to the fragility of 'crush zones'—which are absolutely an improvement, but something one could repair if one wanted). So now I have a new Honda. But if I had had some special sentimental reason (such as attachment to a particular rare design) I could have opted to repair the car and keep it running. In fact, any automobile ever made which is powered by an internal-combustion engine can be tuned to run on today's fuel. Yet the auto industry certainly needs a steady flow of new purchases in order to survive. These are assured because (a) most owners eventually get tired of making major repairs on older cars, and (b) the industry keeps producing styling changes as well as real improvements which make most car owners want to buy a new car after several years. That's not the same thing as saying, 'You have to turn your car in for a new one, because it can no longer drive on superhighways, and in two years' time, it won't fit in parking spaces.'

I have quite a few serious cameras of different ages and formats. The newest digital SLRs can do some extraordinary things, especially with the software of Photoshop. But one of my favorites is a 50-year old Leica, which can still take marvelous photographs, is instinctive to handle, and is compatible with any Leica made since. The lenses (a couple of which are razor sharp even by today's high standards) will fit in the latest digital Leica, without modification. One cannot make the same claim about any of the other crop of new digital designs, most of which are incompatible with cameras of the same make and professional level, from even five years ago.

My point is that engineers can, if their employers want, design machines which do not become obsolete for many years, by ensuring that there is a maximum of backward-compatibility and product support, even as they continue to produce new designs to reflect technical advances and the needs of the marketplace for new merchandise.

Jan 13, 2017 6:01 PM in response to exLuddite

exLuddite wrote:

In the big picture, we are very very lucky to have Apple's level of support. If you left Apple because of "terrible support" and went Android, what would you find? Most Android devices are abandoned by their makers within one or two years. The big problem with Android is that so many users cannot even get security updates shortly after purchase, so their phones and tablets become security vulnerabilities.

Apple is known for providing longer software support than almost anybody. I bought an iPad 2, Apple supported it up to iOS 9. It is a 5-year-old product, but it is only locked out of the most recent iOS...it runs all of the other versions. Compared to Android, that is forever. I moved on to an iPad mini 2, now almost 4 years old, runs iOS 10 just fine. And this long support combined with Apple's regular security updates means our Apple devices stay secure.

I have a 5-year-old MacBook Pro. Will it run today's Sierra OS? Sure, no problem! Apple has done nothing on the OS front to make me think I should buy a new laptop. Sure, Mac users with 2009 or earlier Macs are annoyed that Sierra won't run on those, but come on...those are 8 year old machines.

Saying Apple pushes planned obsolescence doesn't make sense when compared to how short and horrible the support period is outside of Apple. It is much worse out there, believe me.

Jan 13, 2017 6:02 PM in response to exLuddite

Your analogy are utterly false and entirely off target. Your iPad does indeed still run as it originally did. It just cannot be updated.

Your car analogy only works if my old car could be updated with ALL of the current advances and changes in the new one, which it cannot.

Yes it still runs, but it dos NOT run just like the newest model caes.

Jan 13, 2017 6:37 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Look, I love Apple products. That's why I have two Macs, an iPad, and an iPhone; my whole family all swear by Apple. That doesn't mean I have to think they are infallible, or never make a questionable business decision.

Obviously, the flow of new ideas and new products is the lifeblood of any company. But innovation, and novelty for novelty's sake, can become an obsession which interferes with real quality.

Apple products cost more. It is true that they usually come with all of the available features for a given product line, which partially makes up for the cost differential. But much of the premium one pays for Apple is for superior performance, reliability, and product support. If a device is no longer functional because it is incompatible with newer devices, or is susceptible to bugs and new viruses or other security issues because its systems are no longer updated, that means it is no longer performing well, by definition.

Those of you with disproportionately large gadget budgets, or who have enough excess income that it simply does not matter, may be happy to keep buying new devices every couple of years. But for many, especially those on relatively fixed incomes, or with unusual other living costs, electronic devices represent a substantial investment, and one may need to maximize the use one gets out of them before they are discarded. Product support is also an issue.

Jan 13, 2017 7:08 PM in response to exLuddite

I understand the car analogy, but it is flawed because it's comparing products at very different points in the life cycle.

Mass market computing is only about 30 years old. Mobile computing, less than 10. Our perspective on them is distorted because we are living inside this period, but historically, all of computing, especially mobile, is only at the very beginning of its life cycle. This is the immature period where, in all industries, things have not settled down, standards and performance keep changing, and obsolescence is rapid not because any company is pushing that, but because the industry as a whole is evolving rapidly.

If we were living in the same period of the car industry, the first 10 to 30 years, that would be around 1915 or 1920. If you were to get into a car in that period, it would be unrecognizable. There were still hand cranks, there were still chokes. Safety features nonexistent. Highway standards nonexistent, road markings and signs are different everywhere. Even fuels took a while to settle down, most of the first cars were electric. Now imagine it's 1920 and you have a perfectly good electric car...nobody wants to support it because gasoline is the new standard. Your electric car is obsolete already. Things changing too fast, things going out of date, cars going obsolete...that was the early car industry. We're still in that stage in the computer industry, and definitely in mobile.

You might get your nice, stable mobile device where you can use it for 20 years because nothing changes anymore. It might happen by the year 2040 or so...

P.S. I understand the whole limited budget thing. That's why none of my Macs are newer than 5 years old, my iPads are 4 and 6 years old, and I used my last iPhone for 4 years. I can't afford to buy new gadgets all the time, I make 'em last. That's why I'm so glad Apple supports their devices longer than just about anybody else.

Jan 13, 2017 7:22 PM in response to Michael Black

As I said, I prefer the company's products! That does not mean they always do everything optimally.

And no, my "analogy are (sic)" not "utterly false and entirely off target," although they are not perfect, I grant that (analogies seldom are: their utility comes in whatever similarities they highlight, not in the obvious differences). The problem is that devices using this sort of technology do become obsolete relatively quickly compared with other products, and yet, as we have come to depend upon them (in many cases, we have no choice), relatively frequent replacement often becomes a not-insignificant financial issue. There is a question, which I was trying to raise, whether the product cycle needs to be as short as it is? If you have good reason to believe that 64-bit architecture is necessary for mobile devices, and that nobody can devise a way to reconcile it with 32-bit architecture, so that before long all 32-bit devices have to be junked, say so (ideally, with at least a scintilla of further explanation).

And, by the way, there are 10- and even 20-year old cars which can outperform many of the newest, most up-to-date machines. If you don't believe it, try racing your brand-new sedan or SUV against a 1997 Porsche 911, a BMW 325, or Mercedes 230. For that matter, virtually any properly-maintained European-marketed standard sedan of about that same vintage, without all the anti-pollution devices mandated by the EPA for the U.S. distribution, will (a) run and hide from a much more powerful 2017 U.S. car, (b) get much better gas mileage, and (c) probably won't even put more pollutants out the tailpipe—because it's burning less fuel and operating more efficiently. Congress in its infinite wisdom mandated particular devices, rather than emission standards. Not every technological "update" is an improvement.

Finally, do you work for the company, or are you a major shareholder? You (and a couple of others) are responding as if you were personally attacked!

Jan 13, 2017 7:24 PM in response to exLuddite

Last time I looked, I am far from ndependently wealthy.

I purchased an iPad Pro and new iPod Touch 6th gen over a year, ago.

My last iPad was purchased 4 years, ago.

My last iPod Touch was purchased 7 years, ago.

So, I don't purchase technology every "couple of years"

I can't afford that, either.

I see myself using my current iPad Pro for, at least 5-6 years and maybe pushing out another mobile device. purchase for another 2 years, maybe 3. So, I'll end up contemplating a new mobile device around 2022-2024.

I may need a new Mac computer before I purchase another new iPad model.

I don't buy iPhones, either. I am not an iPhone user.

A cell phone is a cell phone. I use cheap BOGO Android phones.

I only use these as phones and are hardly ever connected to the Internet

I bought a used 2009 iMac in 2011 and I will be still using THAT Mac until it completely dies, or close.

Jan 13, 2017 8:35 PM in response to exLuddite

exLuddite wrote:

Finally, do you work for the company, or are you a major shareholder? You (and a couple of others) are responding as if you were personally attacked!

No, I nor the vast majority of those here do NOT work for Apple. And I never have. I do find it somewhat obnoxious (if not offensive) how so many newer users, when seeing a opinion contrary to their own, posted by other older members than they, immediately jump to the inane "do you work for Apple" defensive argument.

I have been a member here for a very long time, and have personally chosen to use Apple hardware for my own personal and preferred use for over 20 years. I simply disagree with your stated opinions. and do not see any validity in them.

Your original post asked a specific question about compatibility, which I provided information about.

Your follow up posts asked for opinions, and I disagree with yours. And your subsequent posts seem, to me, to be those acting in a defensive manner since your opinion was disagreed with?

iOS 10: should it load on older iPads, or is this another example of planned obsolescence?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.