Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe 2 to USB C converter

Will Apple be making a Magsafe 2 to USB C converter? Is anyone aware of a third-party option?

I recently got a Macbook Pro 15" (late 2016) and am furious at the extra expense of adapters needed to incorporate this machine into my setup (USB to USB-C, USB-C Digital AV multiport, HDMI cables, USB hub...). Now I need a second power adapter, and given that I have several Magsafe power adapters lying around I'd prefer to use a converter stead of buying a new USB-C power adapter.

It's sneaky of Apple to not include needed adapters with the machine. What should have been a pleasant quick-start has become a nightmare of unexpected purchasing and stalled setup.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 2:09 PM

Not quite, though it's interesting to know about new magsafe adapter options. I'm seeking a converter that would allow use of my existing magsafe adapters on my new Macbook Pro which only has USB-C ports.

53 replies

Apr 12, 2017 7:18 PM in response to ncftw

I agree! This is really sneaky and unfriendly to Apple customers. One of several similar things that disappoints me about the new Macbook Pro and makes me think "this will be my last Apple notebook".

Apple claims to be an environmentally friendly company but they just turned my old power adapters into plastic trash.

Apr 21, 2017 1:41 PM in response to Sonicray

I am also looking for the same to use at my job as we need to have a lot of chargers plugged in at once to support multiple users simultaneously. I am trying to avoid having another set of chargers, would be nice to have an adapter to go from Magsafe 2 to USB-C or vise versa.

I am still looking... if anyone finds something please post!

Apr 26, 2017 4:54 PM in response to ncftw

I do have the same situation specially when you want to connect your external apple display into your macbook new 15 inch line with USB-C !

How can I use the same expensive external monitor to power my macbook if the connection already adapted to magsafe2 cannot be converted into USB-C ? I just simply lost its functionality ?

Pretty frustrating ! Apple is wonderful. However, it should be much more worried in launching a number of itens that covers our needs at the same time they do with the new macbooks.

This is really important... otherwise we wait for months and months for an option and sometimes not a safe and ideal option !

Tks

May 19, 2017 8:14 AM in response to mnaile

Hi,

I am also trying to find a solution to REUSE my (now extra) macbook pro magsafe chargers, for my NEW macbook pro (USB-C charging).

The MagNeo looks like a cool product, but no where do I see this adapter being able to reuse legacy MB Magsafe chargers. No one wants to buy spare chargers (office, home, travel) when they already have a couple from previous generations. Just simply need a magsafe connector to usb-C connector dongle

May 21, 2017 2:53 PM in response to ncftw

I agree 100%, Apple is really sneaky.

have ordered the new laptop and I have already wasted an additional 5 hours of my life & over $300 to figure out all the new required accessories that i would need

I have an apple original extra power adapter from my older MacBook Pro 15" but I can not use it because there is nothing on the market can match the correct load.

I ordered an extra power adapter from apple & it did not come with cable to connect to laptop or even the original 3-prong cable older power supplies used to come with (includes ground wire)

I am very disappointed!

Jun 22, 2017 6:03 AM in response to ncftw

I just purchased a 2017 MacBook Pro 15". Top of the line model. It's nice, I can afford it (even though it's overpriced), but I can't legitimately keep it, and "enjoy" it, knowing that there's not really a "legitimate value" when compared to my 2011 MacBook Pro 15" with SSD and 16 GB RAM. Especially considering I can't charge it with my Thunderbolt Display. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I also have extra MagSafe chargers that are useless with the new 2016/2017 MacBook Pro's. In fact, if and when my 2011 MacBook Pro dies, I'll be looking for a 2015 refurbished unit...unless Apple releases a product to use MagSafe 1 and 2 chargers with USB-C. Until then, the newer MacBook Pro's just have no appeal to me. 2015's, hopefully, they'll be available when need one if Apple doesn't address these "real world" issues. Just my rant and $.02!

Jul 2, 2017 10:10 AM in response to ncftw

Third party adapters have shown up on Amazon and eBay with mostly horrendous revieww and results. However, IMO, it's on Apple to forego their greed and produce a working MagSafe 1 / MagSafe 2 to USB-C adapter for those loyal customers who purchased hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in accessories that are barely functional with this new hardware.

Sep 4, 2017 5:43 AM in response to ncftw

Apple highly unlikely to build that adaptor anytime soon. Why? I have no ideea....

From what I've saw there have been a few around in 2015 and 2016 but now they happen to be out of stock or disappeared altogether. At that time users reported usually bad experiences for what appeared to be a roughly 30$ dumb dongle. Bad & unstable connections and more important unstable voltage. Charging apparently worked for some, depending on the brick that they use, but was slow, for others it didn't work at all.

How about a magsafe to USB-C converter? | MacRumors Forums

I personally have the Griffin USB-C magnetic adapter https://9to5mac.com/2016/01/04/magsafe-adpater-12-inch-macbook/ but even this doesn't work that well, having quite constant unstable connection, meaning that as soon as I take the notebook and move it closer to my body or put it in my lap, I can see that at this slightest move the connection is lost and power is fed from the battery. Not very good IMHO to keep zapping the power like that... so in conclusion best advise is to buy another Apple charger.

Sep 13, 2017 3:11 PM in response to smanthor

Well http://snapnator.com has updated to support 87W charging (originally it only went up to 60W for the smaller MacBookPros), but it still isn't the holy grail of a Magsafe2 to USB-C dongle so we could use our old charging cables and Cinema displays with the new MacBookPros. I think Grant Bennet-Alder is right -- it won't happen until Apple licenses out Magsafe tech (and even then, the testing, iterations and approval will take years to bring to market).

Magsafe 2 to USB C converter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.