Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

font / Font Book problems

I recently upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra via a clean install on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, and I’ve been having some trouble with fonts and with Font Book. So far I haven’t removed any fonts or installed any beyond the ones included with the OS.

First, seven font families that are all present in ~/Library/Fonts (Athelas, Charter, DIN, Iowan Old Style, Marion, Seravek, and SuperClarendon) are missing from Font Book. Actually, they're not entirely missing, because at the top of the window it says “All Fonts (231 Fonts).” But they don't appear in the list of font families in the second column, and when I select all the fonts in that list and validate them, at the end of the process Font Book tells me that only 220 fonts were validated. So on some level it can see them, but it can’t show them.

TextEdit won’t show me these fonts either, but two other applications I have installed (Mellel and NeoOffice) can, and I can use the fonts just fine in those programs. Stranger still, if I open a Mellel file, copy some text formatted in, say, Charter, and then paste it into an RTF file open in TextEdit, it remains in Charter. The name Charter shows in the appropriate bubble at the top of the TextEdit window, but in the dropdown menu that opens below that bubble it appears only at the top; the alphabetical list below goes straight from Chalkduster to Cochin.

Besides that clear problem, there are three issues that may or may not be expected behavior for Sierra; I can’t say. First, I’m also not seeing San Francisco in Font Book – should I be? Second, Font Book also refuses to let me delete, disable, rename, or edit the “English” Smart Collection. And third, the Dictionary app now displays all text in San Francisco, even though the DefaultStyle.css file in Dictionary’s Resources folder still specifies Baskerville as it has in the past.

To solve the main problem, I’ve tried booting into Safe Mode to clear Font Book’s cache, but that didn’t change anything. What should I do next?

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 10:36 AM

This sounds very suspiciously of a problem that existed in El Capitan. There was a problem related to files in a deeply buried system framework that was causing the issue. Because of it, these five fonts did not work correctly.

Athelas.ttc

Charter.ttc

Marion.ttc

Seravek.ttc

SuperClarendon.ttc

Just as you're seeing, third party apps would see and use them, but not Apple supplied apps such as TextEdit.

I thought this had been fixed in Sierra as of the beta 3 release and later. I haven't been able to recreate the problem in the official release of Sierra.

No, you shouldn't be able to see San Francisco fonts in any app. While the entire set are standard OpenType PostScript fonts, the internal names define them as system fonts and are blocked from being used beyond the interface.

Just to check, see if the one of the fixes for El Capitan solves the issue. An excerpt from my article that explains it:

As installed by OS X, these fonts don't appear in TextEdit at all, only partially in Mail, and so on in the Apple supplied apps. At the same time, they would function normally in the Adobe CC apps, Office 2016, Quark XPress 2015 and other third party apps.

If you simply rename the fonts on the desktop, they suddenly work in all apps! Okay, why is that? The file name of a font quite literally means nothing as to whether it will activate or not. So why did it work for these? The answer has to do files installed deep in the System folder. The OS installs font name matched .ATSD and .fontinfo files in the /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/FontInfo folder for every font OS X installs. Such as this for Marion.ttc:

Marion.ttc.DF798_0.ATSD

Marion.ttc.DF798_0.fontinfo

They've been there as part of the Mac OS for a long time, but until now, never really had any logical reason to exist. At least not to me. Since this issue didn’t exist before El Capitan, they now appear to be tied to System Integrity Protection. We believe this is what’s happening.

1) The .ATSD and .fontinfo files haven’t been correctly updated by Apple for these five fonts. As such, it considers those fonts as having been altered. Being altered, SIP assumes possible malware injection and refuses to use them.

2) When you rename those fonts, SIP no longer has a file name that matches the protection scheme and considers them third party fonts.

3) The only part of this that is still somewhat off base is that these five fonts still don't work even if you have SIP disabled, and renaming them still fixes the problem.

4) When you replace these first four fonts with the Yosemite versions, then the expected data must match the .ATSD and .fontinfo files, as they then work without renaming the fonts. Super Clarendon remains unrepentant no matter what version of OS X you copy it from.

You can prove the issue is tied to these framework files by moving the .ATSD and .fontinfo files for those five fonts to a new folder on the drive. Now enable the normally named El Capitan fonts in any font manager. With no reference to them in the framework file, the OS considers them third party fonts (or something) and they work.

There are three ways to get around this. The first two require first temporarily disabling System Integrity Protection (see just below how to do this).

1) Rename the fonts. Like Marion.ttc to MarionE.ttc. It literally doesn't matter what you change the file name to.

2) Leave the file names as they are and remove their matching .ATSD and .fontinfo files from the framework folder.

3) A few more steps, but this still takes less time than disabling SIP to perform 1 or 2, and then re-enabling SIP.

1. Highlight each of the five fonts and press Command+D to duplicate them. For example, this will produce an "Athelas copy.ttc" file.

2. Highlight each original font and choose Get Info from the menu bar, or press Command+I. Change the permissions of each to add yourself (the admin account user) with Read/Write privileges.

3. Move the original, normally named fonts to the trash and restart. Empty the trash.

These same fonts also didn't work in the Sierra beta until just recently. The beta 3 update has fixed the issue, so you can expect the fix to carry through to the final release. Whether or not we'll see another point update for El Capitan to fix it in this version of OS X remains to be seen. But at least you have these three methods to use if not.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2017 10:36 AM in response to phubenthal

This sounds very suspiciously of a problem that existed in El Capitan. There was a problem related to files in a deeply buried system framework that was causing the issue. Because of it, these five fonts did not work correctly.

Athelas.ttc

Charter.ttc

Marion.ttc

Seravek.ttc

SuperClarendon.ttc

Just as you're seeing, third party apps would see and use them, but not Apple supplied apps such as TextEdit.

I thought this had been fixed in Sierra as of the beta 3 release and later. I haven't been able to recreate the problem in the official release of Sierra.

No, you shouldn't be able to see San Francisco fonts in any app. While the entire set are standard OpenType PostScript fonts, the internal names define them as system fonts and are blocked from being used beyond the interface.

Just to check, see if the one of the fixes for El Capitan solves the issue. An excerpt from my article that explains it:

As installed by OS X, these fonts don't appear in TextEdit at all, only partially in Mail, and so on in the Apple supplied apps. At the same time, they would function normally in the Adobe CC apps, Office 2016, Quark XPress 2015 and other third party apps.

If you simply rename the fonts on the desktop, they suddenly work in all apps! Okay, why is that? The file name of a font quite literally means nothing as to whether it will activate or not. So why did it work for these? The answer has to do files installed deep in the System folder. The OS installs font name matched .ATSD and .fontinfo files in the /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/FontInfo folder for every font OS X installs. Such as this for Marion.ttc:

Marion.ttc.DF798_0.ATSD

Marion.ttc.DF798_0.fontinfo

They've been there as part of the Mac OS for a long time, but until now, never really had any logical reason to exist. At least not to me. Since this issue didn’t exist before El Capitan, they now appear to be tied to System Integrity Protection. We believe this is what’s happening.

1) The .ATSD and .fontinfo files haven’t been correctly updated by Apple for these five fonts. As such, it considers those fonts as having been altered. Being altered, SIP assumes possible malware injection and refuses to use them.

2) When you rename those fonts, SIP no longer has a file name that matches the protection scheme and considers them third party fonts.

3) The only part of this that is still somewhat off base is that these five fonts still don't work even if you have SIP disabled, and renaming them still fixes the problem.

4) When you replace these first four fonts with the Yosemite versions, then the expected data must match the .ATSD and .fontinfo files, as they then work without renaming the fonts. Super Clarendon remains unrepentant no matter what version of OS X you copy it from.

You can prove the issue is tied to these framework files by moving the .ATSD and .fontinfo files for those five fonts to a new folder on the drive. Now enable the normally named El Capitan fonts in any font manager. With no reference to them in the framework file, the OS considers them third party fonts (or something) and they work.

There are three ways to get around this. The first two require first temporarily disabling System Integrity Protection (see just below how to do this).

1) Rename the fonts. Like Marion.ttc to MarionE.ttc. It literally doesn't matter what you change the file name to.

2) Leave the file names as they are and remove their matching .ATSD and .fontinfo files from the framework folder.

3) A few more steps, but this still takes less time than disabling SIP to perform 1 or 2, and then re-enabling SIP.

1. Highlight each of the five fonts and press Command+D to duplicate them. For example, this will produce an "Athelas copy.ttc" file.

2. Highlight each original font and choose Get Info from the menu bar, or press Command+I. Change the permissions of each to add yourself (the admin account user) with Read/Write privileges.

3. Move the original, normally named fonts to the trash and restart. Empty the trash.

These same fonts also didn't work in the Sierra beta until just recently. The beta 3 update has fixed the issue, so you can expect the fix to carry through to the final release. Whether or not we'll see another point update for El Capitan to fix it in this version of OS X remains to be seen. But at least you have these three methods to use if not.

Jan 14, 2017 11:15 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Ah, Kurt, I was hoping you’d ride to my rescue :-) First I tried your method 3 on Athelas to test, and then when that worked I did method 2 on all the rest, and that worked too.

Unfortunately I can’t mark your answer as having solved my question because I already marked it as helpful. (That’s bad UI design, Apple – if I can only pick one of the two options, then the selection control should be radio buttons or something equivalent, especially in cases like this when there’s no logical reason that they would be mutually exclusive.)

That Frameworks folder is interesting – full of .ATSD and .fontinfo files for all kinds of fonts from older OS versions, iLife, iWork, what have you – including umpteen files for old TTF versions of SuperClarendon that I had to wade through to find the files for the TTC version. Maybe that’s why bringing in versions of that font from older OSes didn’t solve the problem in your testing, Kurt?

I know my original post was long, but there was one other question buried in it that I’d still like to get an answer to, namely the question about the file used in Dictionary.app. I’ve also posted to another thread on the same subject, so if anyone can shed any light, please post at Font in Dictionary widget and app.

And thanks again for your help, Kurt! Maybe you should post your post again so I can mark it as the solution?

Jan 16, 2017 7:28 AM in response to aroseb

My reply in that topic will remove everything. As stated:

Be aware that doing this will remove all emails you have under Outlook, your contacts and everything else to do with Outlook's email data.

All information for Outlook 2011 and any version of Entourage from Office 2008 and earlier are the same. The Main Identity folder contains a monolithic database for the user account email. Remove the folder, or the main database file within it and it's all gone.

Did you mean wipe it from existence of just the computer I am working from?

It will only affect the computer you're on. Each computer will have its own Main Identity folder. Though you should still make backups of that folder from each computer first. It's always good to have a way to restore at least what's backed up so the only email lost at any given point is what came in and was sent between backups instead of everything.

I'm also presuming Office 2011. Not much of this is useful if that's not what you're using. Please define if you're using Outlook 2011 or Outlook 2016. There's a very big difference between them.

Jan 14, 2017 11:37 AM in response to phubenthal

Thanks, but my initial response is already marked as Solved. The current bug in Jive is the gold helpful stars will appear immediately when marked. But a Solved doesn't show until you refresh the page, or leave the topic and come back to it.

I think the fonts fault sometimes carries over if a user installs Sierra over El Capitan or earlier. I installed Sierra on an erased parition, and the problem is gone. I didn't have to bring in any of these five fonts from an older version of OS X, rename them, or any other manual tweaks in order for things to work as they should.

I can't recall if the font change in the Dictionary was deliberate, but my noodle says yes since I think I remember seeing at least a couple of folks complaining about the font change upon Sierra's release. I don't know if the user has a way to choose the default font for that app.

Jan 15, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Yes, they are borked - again! These fonts were working without modification in 10.12.0 and 10.12.1, but they're back to partially invisible under 10.12.2.

TextEdit, and most other Apple supplied apps wouldn't show these same five bad boys at all. Office 2016 did, and all Adobe CC 2017 apps did. Unlike under El Capitan, Quark XPress 2015 would not show them.

Didn't matter where they were, or how the fonts were activated. That is, I manually placed them in the /Library/Fonts/ folder, the Fonts folder of my user account, and while on the desktop, activated them with Suitcase Fusion 7. As long as the fonts had their original names, they would not appear on the system as they should. As soon as I added any ol' character to the end of the font names (you can remove a character, too), then they worked as they should. Literally doesn't matter how you rename them, just so the file name for each one isn't its original name.

Jan 15, 2017 3:07 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Hi Kurt,

I have a question related to a post you replied on... quite a while ago. I couldn't reply directly and not sure how to get in touch directly. I don't mean to hijack another post, so I'll try to explain it all in one go.

The post was:

Deleting Microsoft Outlook Files off of my Mac.

You mentioned how to remove outlook + email files (this is what I am looking to do) but warned it would remove all outlook email and contact data. Did you mean wipe it from existence of just the computer I am working from?

I am trying to remove outlook work email from a personal computer as I also have it on my work computer and it's killing my MBair but I want to make sure I have access to the emails and contacts when I log into outlook from another computer linked to the same Outlook account. Just looking to confirm before deleting anything, thanks!

AB

font / Font Book problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.