Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving Screenshots - location

I have a new macbook pro 15 inch with touchbar. I've put the screenshot / grabber utility so that it launches from the touchbar fine and I can take a screenshot. However the default save location is 'tmp' (I've atatched a screenshot to show you what I mean) which does not exist on my computer (and I don't have dropbox). If I navigate in preview and save to another folder, then it will save. However if I don't, the image disappears. I could change the file name to something unique and do a complete search of my entire disk for a file with that name and get no results. Searching for a folder called 'tmp' also has no results.

I have tried the following terminal commands:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Screenshots

(to force the app to save to my /Sreenshots folder that i created

and then

killall SystemUIServer

This does nothing at all. The default save location does not change. And any screenshot I take is still disappearing unless I specify change the location in the drop down of preview.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me figure this out?

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2017 10:35 AM

I have the similar issue. Here how I fixed it.
When you touch the screenshot icon on touchbar, there is a button: `Save To`. Change it from Preview to Desktop. After that, it will save to the location you provided by the command: defaults write com.apple.screencapture location

Hopefully this will solve your issue.

User uploaded file

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2017 10:35 AM in response to Cigarbarguy

I have the similar issue. Here how I fixed it.
When you touch the screenshot icon on touchbar, there is a button: `Save To`. Change it from Preview to Desktop. After that, it will save to the location you provided by the command: defaults write com.apple.screencapture location

Hopefully this will solve your issue.

User uploaded file

Jan 16, 2017 5:23 PM in response to Cigarbarguy

I posted everything you need above—

From terminal you can change the location ex: Desktop

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop

How to Change Screenshot Save Location

If in doubt of the correct path to "your folder," open terminal copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location

including the space at the end, then drag "your folder" to the terminal window and it will complete the path for the full command.

Jan 15, 2017 8:56 PM in response to Cigarbarguy

What exactly do you mean by the "the screenshot / grabber utility"?

That command only changes the default save path for using the keyboard shortcuts Command-Shift-3, Command-Shift-4, Command-Shift-4 then space.

If using the "Grab.app" then it should prompt for a save path every time. I would guess that you can set the default path for the "Grab.app" save location by opening "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Grab.plist" in a text editor and modifying a path in there. I'm just guessing but it may work.

Jan 15, 2017 9:04 PM in response to leroydouglas

as I mentioned in my post, defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Screenshot is the first thing I tried. That does not change the location of where my screenshots are saving and in fact they are NOT saving, because I could take a screenshot, save it to the default 'tmp' folder and then search my entire hard disk for that single saved file and not find it. So screenshots are not saving into my computer at all, UNLESS I change the default folder using the dropdown. Then that 1 image will save to the folder. Next screenshot, same problem all over again.

Jan 26, 2017 11:28 AM in response to Cigarbarguy

I found that it works fine if you don't add:

killall SystemUIServer

So all I typed was:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop/SCREENSHOTS/

...and it saved the screenshots to the designated folder. If I typed the "killall" line it saved them to the desktop.

Whether omitting the "killall" line presents other problems, only time will tell...

Apr 9, 2017 10:23 PM in response to Cigarbarguy

I realized tonight I was having the same issue on my MBP with touch bar that I just got. On my old machine, I had specified a custom location with the 'defaults write...' command that is common. I saw the screenshot tool for the touch bar and thought I would try it out. I changed the location with the buttons in that tool, then realized I couldn't set a custom one there, so I removed the button from the touch bar. When I tried to change back to the custom location with the terminal command, it wouldn't work. Screenshots kept going into ~/Documents. Just now, I went back in to the touch bar tool, and selected 'Desktop' as the save location (the old default?), and screenshots are now going back into my custom folder. So maybe try that?

Jun 22, 2017 11:33 AM in response to Cigarbarguy

I had the same issue and resolved it with 2 commands:

sudo defaults write com.apple.screencapture location -string "~/Users/[USERNAME]/[DIRECTORY]"

where [USERNAME] and [DIRECTORY] are your own username and target location, respectively. Afterwards, the line

sudo killall SystemUIServer Finder

resulted in screenshots being saved to my target directory. Unsure why Sierra now requires specifying "-string", but I hope this works for you as well

Sep 27, 2017 11:47 AM in response to Cigarbarguy

I'm running macOS Sierra version 10.12.6 I did the following and it worked for me(I didn't use ~ for location path).

command line:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/secretcollage/Desktop/Screenshot

press enter

killall SystemUIServer

press enter

end of command line

test by taking a screenshot, check to see the most recent screenshot is in the folder.

Hope this helps!

Saving Screenshots - location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.