Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes default video playback set to 720p, I want default 1080p

I want to set the default video playback to 1080p but iTunes 12.5.4.42 sets default playback for 720p for all TV Shows and Movies. Why is the default video playback in iTunes set to 720p when I purchased 1080p? I noticed since MacOS Sierra iTunes Preferences no longer gives the option to set preferred video quality. It used to be 1080/720/480, but now it only shows "Playback Quality : Good / Best Available", which does not set the default to 1080, nor does it really specify if it means audio or video. Now in iTunes to get 1080p I must select each individual movie or TV Show and manually right click on EACH video file and select "Video Quality > 720, 480, 1080" and for some reason the Default for every single movie and TV Show is now 720p. I have 1080) for a lot of TV Shows and movies, most don't have 720. Now, since the default is 720 it chooses to play 480. I have to go through that right-click option for every single TV show and movie in order to playback in 1080. Select All doesn't work, the option isn't there.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 12:10 AM

As promised, here’s my full tutorial:

Recently, iTunes received an update, 12.6.0.100. In previous a version iTunes had the option to right-click on each item to change to 1080p, but now that option is gone. It's still in the menu bar > Movie > Video Quality > High Definition (1080p). It's still not possible to select multiple titles then check the 1080p option, it has to be done one at a time.

Lets fix this using Automator!

First we need to create a keyboard shortcut that will change the selected title to 1080p.

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click Keyboard.
  3. Click Shortcuts.
  4. Click App Shortcuts.
  5. Click the "+" button.
  6. In the Application field, select iTunes.
  7. In the Menu Title field, enter "High Definition (1080p)" without the quotes.
  8. In the Keyboard Shortcut field type a unique keyboard shortcut. I used "ctrl+opt+cmd+h" w/o the quotes.
  9. Click Add. Quit System Preferences if you want.
  10. In iTunes, click the ‘View Chooser’ - that little drop down menu in the upper left next to the [<] [>] buttons (Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc) - Click on Movies.
  11. Beneath that ‘view chooser’, in the Sidebar, under "Library" click "Movies" so you see all of them.

If you can’t see the Sidebar, type opt+cmd+s.

12. In the menu bar, click View > View As > List.
  13. Select the title at the top of the list. Or which ever title you need to change.
  14. Type your super-awesome keyboard shortcut - "ctrl+opt+cmd+h" w/o the quotes.
  15. Type the down arrow on your keyboard then repeat the keyboard shortcut as needed.

If you only have a few to fix, then you can manually enter this keyboard shortcut for each title. If you have more than a few, it’s time for that little Automator robit to get to work.

1. Open Automator.
  2. Click New Document.
  3. Click Service.
  4. Make it look like the attached screen grab, including the part at the top, "service receives [no input] in [iTunes.app]”.

User uploaded file

1. Change the Loop to whatever you want, but test with smaller increments first. *See notes below*
  2. Save it as "Auto 1080p" or whatever. It will go in a super secret folder where you'll never find it ( ~/Library/Services/ )
  3. In iTunes, follow steps 10-13. This will be the ‘starting point’ for your workflow.

Alter step 13 as needed - select the title where you want to start the workflow.

4. In the menu bar click iTunes > Services > Auto 1080p.

Pro Tip- You can create a keyboard shortcut for this Service!

1. Follow step 1-4.
    2. Click Services.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the list to find your new Service.
    4. Click “none” to the right of the Service name.
    5. Click “Add Shortcut”
    6. Type a unique keyboard shortcut. I used "ctrl+opt+cmd+a" w/o the quotes.
    7. Go back into iTunes and type "ctrl+opt+cmd+a" w/o the quotes.
  5. Watch the workflow then enjoy your 1080p content!

Just a few notes:

1. Enter at your own risk. This is a keyboard macro emulating your typing on the keyboard; if you didn’t follow exactly, or even if you did follow exactly, it might do something undesirable.
  2. Don’t touch your computer until it stops unless you know how to stop the workflow... I couldn’t figure that out. I tried going back up to menu bar > iTunes > Services, but I couldn’t even get that far since the keyboard was typing.
  3. So maybe don't set your loop too high in Automator.
  4. It will not perform the desired function if you click out of iTunes, but it will technically keep going so you still have to wait for the loop to end.
  5. If you followed steps 23.a.1. - 23.a.6. DO NOT reenter the Service keyboard shortcut. I haven’t tried this, but I assume it will be like crossing the streams: total protonic reversal.
  6. This won’t undo any title that is already set to 1080p.
    1. Nor is it smart enough to skip the titles that are already 1080p.
    2. Nor could I find a way to first sort titles by Video Quality.
    3. You'll hear an error sound (boop) if the file doesn't have a 1080p version, then it will move on.
    4. That means titles with max 720p will stay 720p.
  7. If you show the Size column in List view, you’ll be able to watch the file size change from small to large as the workflow proceeds.

I hope this helps everyone here. It took me much longer to write up this tutorial than it did to create the workflow PLUS fixing my titles!

Good luck!

PS- Let’s hope Apple will fix this issue in the near future. Wish in one hand…

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2017 12:10 AM in response to phillip1

As promised, here’s my full tutorial:

Recently, iTunes received an update, 12.6.0.100. In previous a version iTunes had the option to right-click on each item to change to 1080p, but now that option is gone. It's still in the menu bar > Movie > Video Quality > High Definition (1080p). It's still not possible to select multiple titles then check the 1080p option, it has to be done one at a time.

Lets fix this using Automator!

First we need to create a keyboard shortcut that will change the selected title to 1080p.

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click Keyboard.
  3. Click Shortcuts.
  4. Click App Shortcuts.
  5. Click the "+" button.
  6. In the Application field, select iTunes.
  7. In the Menu Title field, enter "High Definition (1080p)" without the quotes.
  8. In the Keyboard Shortcut field type a unique keyboard shortcut. I used "ctrl+opt+cmd+h" w/o the quotes.
  9. Click Add. Quit System Preferences if you want.
  10. In iTunes, click the ‘View Chooser’ - that little drop down menu in the upper left next to the [<] [>] buttons (Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc) - Click on Movies.
  11. Beneath that ‘view chooser’, in the Sidebar, under "Library" click "Movies" so you see all of them.

If you can’t see the Sidebar, type opt+cmd+s.

12. In the menu bar, click View > View As > List.
  13. Select the title at the top of the list. Or which ever title you need to change.
  14. Type your super-awesome keyboard shortcut - "ctrl+opt+cmd+h" w/o the quotes.
  15. Type the down arrow on your keyboard then repeat the keyboard shortcut as needed.

If you only have a few to fix, then you can manually enter this keyboard shortcut for each title. If you have more than a few, it’s time for that little Automator robit to get to work.

1. Open Automator.
  2. Click New Document.
  3. Click Service.
  4. Make it look like the attached screen grab, including the part at the top, "service receives [no input] in [iTunes.app]”.

User uploaded file

1. Change the Loop to whatever you want, but test with smaller increments first. *See notes below*
  2. Save it as "Auto 1080p" or whatever. It will go in a super secret folder where you'll never find it ( ~/Library/Services/ )
  3. In iTunes, follow steps 10-13. This will be the ‘starting point’ for your workflow.

Alter step 13 as needed - select the title where you want to start the workflow.

4. In the menu bar click iTunes > Services > Auto 1080p.

Pro Tip- You can create a keyboard shortcut for this Service!

1. Follow step 1-4.
    2. Click Services.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the list to find your new Service.
    4. Click “none” to the right of the Service name.
    5. Click “Add Shortcut”
    6. Type a unique keyboard shortcut. I used "ctrl+opt+cmd+a" w/o the quotes.
    7. Go back into iTunes and type "ctrl+opt+cmd+a" w/o the quotes.
  5. Watch the workflow then enjoy your 1080p content!

Just a few notes:

1. Enter at your own risk. This is a keyboard macro emulating your typing on the keyboard; if you didn’t follow exactly, or even if you did follow exactly, it might do something undesirable.
  2. Don’t touch your computer until it stops unless you know how to stop the workflow... I couldn’t figure that out. I tried going back up to menu bar > iTunes > Services, but I couldn’t even get that far since the keyboard was typing.
  3. So maybe don't set your loop too high in Automator.
  4. It will not perform the desired function if you click out of iTunes, but it will technically keep going so you still have to wait for the loop to end.
  5. If you followed steps 23.a.1. - 23.a.6. DO NOT reenter the Service keyboard shortcut. I haven’t tried this, but I assume it will be like crossing the streams: total protonic reversal.
  6. This won’t undo any title that is already set to 1080p.
    1. Nor is it smart enough to skip the titles that are already 1080p.
    2. Nor could I find a way to first sort titles by Video Quality.
    3. You'll hear an error sound (boop) if the file doesn't have a 1080p version, then it will move on.
    4. That means titles with max 720p will stay 720p.
  7. If you show the Size column in List view, you’ll be able to watch the file size change from small to large as the workflow proceeds.

I hope this helps everyone here. It took me much longer to write up this tutorial than it did to create the workflow PLUS fixing my titles!

Good luck!

PS- Let’s hope Apple will fix this issue in the near future. Wish in one hand…

Feb 28, 2017 3:46 PM in response to phillip1

I am seeing this same exact problem in the new iTunes, for BOTH DOWNLOADED and STREAMING 1080p files. Yes I double checked and the actual files are 1080p but the "default" for playback is 720p and requires file-by-file manual switching back to 1080p. This is pretty bad. I'm a long time Apple fan but cringe when I have to show iTunes to new users. It's not friendly or logical like it was back in the 2000's. Now it's even worse. Do you think this might be happening on the Apple TV versions too?

Apr 11, 2017 2:17 AM in response to Durf Diggler

Well, that wasn't so hard....

00- Follow steps 01-09 in my previous post. Make the keyboard shortcut exactly as stated since that's how I set it up in step 04 of this post.

01- Open Automator.

02- New Document.

03- Click Service.

04- Make it look like the attached screen grab, including the part at the top, "service receives [no input] in [iTunes.app]"

User uploaded file

05- Change the Loop to whatever you want, but test with smaller increments first. *See step 09*

06- Save it as "Auto 1080p" or whatever. It will go in a super secret folder where you'll never find it ( ~/Library/Services/ )

07- In iTunes, follow step 10-12 from my previous post.

08- In the menu bar click iTunes > Services > Auto 1080p.

09- Don't touch your computer until it stops unless you know how to stop the workflow... I don't, so maybe don't set your loop too high. It will stop doing it's thing if you click off of iTunes, but it will technically keep going so you still have to wait for it to stop.

10- You'll hear an error sound (boop) if the file doesn't have a 1080p version, then it will move on.

Took me longer to write the how-to than the workflow. Apple, never ever kill Automator, please.

Jan 16, 2017 11:33 AM in response to poikkeus1

I appreciate your response. All of my videos are downloaded as 1080p but the latest version of iTunes sets the default video playback to 720p. Why, I do not know. For example, I purchased the TV Show Marco Polo downloaded as 1080p (I have no 720p videos). So I select TV Shows in the iTunes application and TV Show now appears (between Edit and View) in the iTunes menu at the top of the iTunes application. If you then click on TV Show the second selection is Video Quality which is grayed. Then I select an episode of Marco Polo and go back to TV Show and Video Quality is no longer grayed out and has selections with a check next to the first selection saying Default (720P). The only other selection available is High Definition (1080p). I then manually change selection to High Definition (1080p).

If I select a Movie and then go to Movie (which is now between Edit and View) at the top of iTunes and then go to Video Quality, I get the same thing a check next to the first selection saying Default (720P) and I must manual change to High Definition (1080p). Also note for a few movies and TV Show episodes the Video Quality is not shown as a menu selection. The Video Quality selection is completely missing, why I have no idea. All the videos were downloaded as and are 1080p.

Jan 21, 2017 3:54 PM in response to phillip1

I Just noticed that setting yesterday. What a difference now when the file is set to 1080p. I wondered why my HD videos didn't seem to crisp. My iTunes preferences is set to download the 1080p version, but the current version of iTunes requires the user to select playback quality separately on each one. The videos that don't have the option are the ones in 480 SD only.

Feb 1, 2017 3:33 PM in response to dogonpremise

You misunderstand my question. In iTunes, select a movie then the word Movie appears at the top of iTunes between Edit and View. Then go to the top of iTunes and select Movie which shows the second selection as Video Quality (for this specific movie) you will see that it says Default (HD 720p) and you have to manually change to 1080p to get the higher resolution. Same for TV Shows just select a TV Show Episode and go to TV Show at the top of iTunes and the second selection is Video Quality which says Default (HD 720p) so to get 1080p you must manually change.

Feb 13, 2017 10:49 PM in response to phillip1

I have the same issues. I have invested quite a bit in my film library so going through them one by one and right-click is not a solution.

Some may be misunderstanding. The problem is not with files DOWNLOADED. The problem is with STREAMING files. That is, the default to STREAM the file on iTunes (I do not download all my HD movies for space reasons) the default will be 720p until you change it.

EXTREMELY frustrating.

Feb 28, 2017 3:59 PM in response to cjohnsonla

i have my movies on a media server and manually set them to 1080p so when they stream to the Apple TV l get 1080p. Some companies are quietly trying to downgrade streaming quality to 720p, my cable subscriber changed their ESPN video quality from 1080 to 720. And when I noticed, I canceled them immediately and now I got my 1080 ESPN back.

Apr 11, 2017 10:19 PM in response to Durf Diggler

After I posted my second post (Apr 11, 2017 2:17 AM) I couldn't find my first post. Then I saw the email that it was deleted by the robits.

"We removed your post Itunes default video playback set to 720p, I want default 1080p because it contained rants or complaints that weren’t constructive. We understand wanting to share experiences, but these forums are meant for technical questions that can be answered by the community."

I guess my G-rated language was too harsh. Anyhow, I wrote a tutorial that would show how to make a keyboard shortcut that would change the selected title to 1080p, rather than 720p. Then I referred to that tutorial in my second post, so it's fairly critical to accomplish what's in post #2. I'm going to combine the two of them, see if that works & is accepted.

Itunes default video playback set to 720p, I want default 1080p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.