Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone deleted all of my photos

Over the past few months (since October 2016), my iPhone 6 has been rebooting itself (as though I'm pressing the power and home button simultaneously). When the phone restarts, all of my apps appear as normal, but my pictures, videos, and music are all gone. Slowly, they restore themselves until everything is back to normal. This occurs at random times, and usually my phone will freeze and become unresponsive to touch before shutting itself down and restarting. It sometimes happens a few times within an hour, or only once every few weeks.

This last time, it happened a couple times within two days, and on the second day, it rebooted and none of my photos or videos restored. I kept waiting, but they never appeared. I tried manually closing the photos app, manually rebooting the phone, resetting network settings, resetting all settings, backing up my iPhone, installing the newest update (which I am unable to do because my PC is too old). I called Apple Support and I've chatted with them online, both of which have come with no result.

When I plug in my phone to my PC, it says I have over 30 GB dedicated to "Other." I had over 13,000 pictures, I'm wondering if they got transferred there? Also, when I try to enable iCloud Photo Library, it says that I am unable to because I have 29 GB of pics and videos, and only 3.5 GB of iCloud storage.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve this problem? Or has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks!!

Additional Info: I have an iPhone 6 which runs IOS 9.1

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 6:53 PM

12 replies

Nov 28, 2017 5:56 AM in response to livry13

I've been experiencing this for years, on several different iPhones (5,5s and my current 6s)

Completely at random as you say, can happen a few times a day, or once every month. My phone becomes unresponsive, can't swipe on the home screen but for some reason the off button still works and the lock screen slider still unlocks it so it's selectively responsive??

Only fix is to force restart it (the home and off button way) which then deletes all my photos and there's no way of knowing how quick iCloud will decide to download them again, sometimes it's straight away, sometimes it's days :/ really wish this would stop happening it's such a pain in the a**.

Jan 16, 2017 7:10 PM in response to livry13

I'd try one of those 3rd party apps on your computer that are designed to backup data from an iPhone to a computer without the use of iTunes. Just be careful since these programs may have adware or scammy sales pitches attached. Assuming you're using a mac, maybe run it from a guest account and don't type in your mac's password..a lot of times you can run a program without installing it fully just by opening the icon while it still has the eject arrow and not moving it into your Applications folder/directory.

Be careful not to cause more issues when you troubleshoot it, and backup your photos asap then backup your backups! Lots of free photo storage options out there and most emails give your 10-20 gb of space, if that's useful to you.

Go read another post on here (iPhone 6: Apple logo appears, photos disappear, runs slowly) about others saying they had this same issue...I don't see much of a resolution. I'd personally back everything up but not in an iPhone/itunes full backup (be sure to get everything), backup a full iPhone backup in iTunes, and then wipe the phone and add everything back in by hand from the plain files not stored in iTunes just in case there is some "corruption" hanging out in there.

Jan 16, 2017 7:24 PM in response to livry13

They are on there for sure. The backup file, if you can locate it on your computer's hard drive, is a decent bet for saving a copy of your photos. It shouldn't be too hard, just look for something about the size of the storage on your iPhone which is fairly large for an ancient PC. All of your photos will be in individual folders inside the backup file and labeled a little less than ideally.

Do you use icloud? It gives everyone 50gb of free storage and 100gb is only .99 cents! It's fairly convenient but I'm asking because you say they slowly reappear. That almost sounds as if your photos are coming back to your phone from the iCloud server's copy since it knows that you also keep a copy on your phone which it sees are missing, possibly triggering iCloud to generously (slowly) make a copy for you.

Jan 16, 2017 7:32 PM in response to livry13

I feel like you have some hardware damage causing the memory to have some issues and icloud is picking up the slack...Maybe it got wet? No clue if this is really the cause but that could explain random deletes. And 30gb of other is almost certainly photos, video, or music and you should probably be able to estimate what it likely is.

Type in manage storage to the search bar on settings and it'll show you the breakdown of your data. I just got out my 6 and have about 5000 photos and 900 videos for 57.2 GB of data so 30 sounds about right for 15,000 photos.

Jan 16, 2017 8:34 PM in response to IThoughtIBoughtAMac

I only had 5 GB of iCloud storage total, and roughly 2 GB was in use. I just purchased 50 GB for 0.99 cents and am currently performing a backup. Maybe if I do an iCloud backup, my photos will reappear in the cloud or on my device.

I had water damage a month or so ago and got it fixed professionally. I could understand some linkage to the issue, even though these reboot/restores were occurring prior to the repair and damage.

I tried to look for a backup file and found nothing. Maybe my prior backup was unsuccessful?

Jul 10, 2017 10:32 PM in response to livry13

I also have the same issue. All of sudden, all of my picture has been deleted. Also, I could not take pictures because they are not saved. When I connect with PC, there are no pictures left behind in DCMI folder. I also tried to use icloud, bu t notification said i have 20GB of photo but my icloud offers only 5GB. So, I think my photo exist somewhere, but.. I can't find it.

My iPhone deleted all of my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.