Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Electrum for BitCoin installed

I've been trying to get Electrum, bitcoin wallet installed. It tells me it it's not an approved developer. Even when I go to Security and approve it it still won't install it.

My only option is to let it install anything. Can I do that for just one application?

When I hunt on the web it looks like people are going and adding source code or something. I'm not at all comfortable doing that (aka clueless).

I've always been able to just check the box in security that says install anyway and get what I want installed but this won't let me.

Anyone get this installed? Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 20, 2017 12:53 PM

23 replies

Jan 20, 2017 1:20 PM in response to mewkiss

Yes, although not recommended, you can allow "anything" for just one app and then turn it back off. Just make sure you know the source of the download and know that it doesn't contain any malware or other unwanted additions.

Having said that, I did a search and, among other hits, found this which includes a section of "things that need to be fixed in mac OS" so I am not sure if this is ready for Mac. If I were you, I'd inquire on their website before taking the plunge:

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/build.html

Jan 22, 2017 11:26 AM in response to Kurt Lang

@Kurt Lang. So I think I had to restart my computer (I don't remember what I did yesterday) but this morning the electrum icon in the toolbar was gone. The App in the dock was a question mark. When I tried to open it it gave me the same message as yesterday, I couldn't open because it was from an outside developer. I reinstalled it and got it going (not sure how since it told me it couldn't install) but now it's fine.

Is this going to happen every time I have to reboot or do something? It was in the dock and showed as open once I clicked on the question mark.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 22, 2017 11:46 AM in response to mewkiss

Also, it's not showing up in the app folder. I'll keep looking. So it looks like the download file didn't have a way to slide it into the app folder so I did that and that seems to have helped. I'm not sure though. It's also now in Launch Pad.

I have the App Snip that sits in my toolbar. When I restart I have to add it back to the toolbar. Now to get Snip in Launchpad.

Thanks. I'm working this out as I message you.

Jan 22, 2017 2:49 PM in response to mewkiss

Eric's suggestion might actually uncover the issue. Download EasyFind. I use it constantly. It can be set to look absolutely anywhere on the drive, including within application packages, and also hidden files and within hidden folders. The options are on the left and are straight forward.

Search for the word Electrum (ignore case). What may be happening is the intial running of the app put a file in the System folder, such as an extension. This is a no-no in El Capitan and Sierra. The OS will disable such items.

Jan 22, 2017 4:18 PM in response to Kurt Lang

That's what I figured based on what you said. I think I fixed some of it. When I have more working brain cells I'll toy with it again. I have another app I'm using no problem but electrum is supposed to be good. I've seen comments by lots of mac users that its hard to install.

I do appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Can't get Electrum for BitCoin installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.