Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods will only play out of one ear

I have had my AirPods for about 2 weeks. They worked perfectly at first, but two days ago, they would only play out of one ear, and the bluetooth connection seemed to become unstable. The strange thing is, I can get both the left and right AirPod to work, but never at the same time. I can also see the charge levels (both above 90%). So each individual AirPod is functioning. I tried connecting them to my daughter's phone and my computer, but that didn't fix it, so the problem is with the AirPods, not the devices. I tried to reset them by pressing and holding the bluetooth button on the case (with the AirPods in the case), and by then forgetting the device and reseting the network settings on my phone, but that didn't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted on Jan 21, 2017 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2017 9:51 AM

I had the same problem. Tried everything from reseting the AirPods to reseting the NVRAM.

The solution I found was to open the Sound Preferences on the AirPods (from the bluetooth dropdown). For some reason, my AirPods were set to left on Balance. I set back to center and everything is working perfectly.

User uploaded file

19 replies

Jan 24, 2017 8:29 AM in response to scholarwilliams

I am a bit ashamed to admit that the Genius Bar solved my problem in 15 seconds, literally. When I tried to "reset" my Airpods, I only held the button in long enough to put them in pairing mode, not long enough to actually reset them. Holding the button in for 15 seconds (until the charge light flashes amber) reset them, and they immediately started working perfectly again. For a guy who can usually solve these kinds of problems himself, I feel like a dummy.

Jan 26, 2018 7:23 PM in response to montgomm

Thank you!

I was going crazy, having done reboots, amber-light resets, etc. Unbelievable that it was just something to do with the balance.

I'm not sure I even had to change the balance, it seemed to fix as soon as I opened the Sound Preferences window. I was switching sound preferences using the volume icon in the task bar the whole time, so never stumbled across this.

Mar 26, 2018 7:59 AM in response to scholarwilliams

This has not worked for us. We have 3 sets of Airpods in our family. Two are doing this and have been almost since new. Sometimes one side works, sometimes the other. At no time do both sides work on the two bad pairs. I actually am in possessionof both defective pairs because my son has given up on fixing his. The issue persists across iPads, iPhones of multiple versions including now a X, PCs, and a Mac. The issue persists after unpairing, disconnecting, and resetting. The L/R balance as far as I can tell is showing in the middle but I am not really seeing anything specific to adjusting the Airpods under the accessibility setting. It seems like it is referring to the iOS device itself.

Are there any other ideas?

Jun 16, 2017 7:51 AM in response to montgomm

I thought this might be my problem as the issue didn't start until after I connected it to my mac running 10.11(El Capitan). But my sound preferences showed that it was still balanced. However, doing a hard reset of the AirPods fixed it! (holding for at least 15 seconds until the status light blinks amber 3 times, then connecting it to my iPhone again)

Jan 8, 2018 10:05 AM in response to scholarwilliams

After having and using my airpods religiously for the last month, I just encountered this problem for the first time. i just disconnected and "forgot" them from both of my devices (iphone 6s+ & ipad air 2) and reconnected by simply holding the bluetooth button on the case until it turned amber. I was able to reconnect to both devices simultaneously.

Mar 6, 2018 1:29 AM in response to e-gineer

I tried forgetting the device only from my iPhone, and used the reset button until it flashed orange, several times. Didn't help. Only forgetting it from my Mac as well solved the problem. As soon as I reconnected to my iPhone after that, it was solved.

I think there's a common thread in several postings: the Mac seems to somehow glitch the settings of the Airpods, in a way that the iPhone alone cannot fix. Remove from your Mac to restore equanimity.

AirPods will only play out of one ear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.