Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch2, Someone is using my phone number?

I turned on my iPad and got a message that "Your phone number is now being used for FaceTime on a new Apple Watch. If you recently signed into "MyName Apple Watch" you can ignore this notification. How is my phone number being used for FaceTime on a Watch? And how? Thank you.

Apple Watch Series 2

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 1:57 PM

This is an authentic notification. It is informing the user that there has been another device set up using the same Apple ID. It sends an alert to all other devices, to approve your ID being used on the new device.

If you allowed it, you can then sign into your iCloud account and remove the device from your account if it is not you using the device. If this happens I would also suggest changing your password and security questions for your Apple ID as well.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2017 1:57 PM in response to deggie

This is an authentic notification. It is informing the user that there has been another device set up using the same Apple ID. It sends an alert to all other devices, to approve your ID being used on the new device.

If you allowed it, you can then sign into your iCloud account and remove the device from your account if it is not you using the device. If this happens I would also suggest changing your password and security questions for your Apple ID as well.

Jan 23, 2017 2:32 PM in response to applesmartz

I doubt they are hacked all the time and even if they were it wouldn't trigger that type of notification. This one supposedly informed them on their iPad that someone had set up FaceTime on an Apple Watch with their account. Since there is no FaceTime on an Apple Watch how would one do that? There are a lot more phishing notifications than there are iCloud hacks.

Jan 23, 2017 2:55 PM in response to applesmartz

Yes, I'm well aware of the fact FaceTime Audio is available. I'm quite familiar with these messages. If it is a real one and they don't have an Apple Watch that can log into Apple and change their password.

But as their are a lot of phishing notifications appearing that look like these if it isn't expressly addressed to them they should avoid any links in the notification. And since there is no way to SET UP FaceTime Audio on the Apple Watch, or in the Watch app on the iPhone, then a message saying someone logged into FaceTime on a Watch AND is now using their phone number is most likely going to be a fake. I have never received one like that for my Watch. Have you?

Jan 23, 2017 3:27 PM in response to deggie

You are incorrect. There is never been a time when I have set up a device and it not send that notification to the other devices.

In order to be a phishing scam it would have to have a link to another site. only option offered on that notification is "OK ", then if you don't think it is a device you want to authorize you can go into iCloud under devices and remove it. I also would highly suggest resetting your password and security questions

Jan 23, 2017 3:38 PM in response to applesmartz

Ok, so you are saying that you have logged into FaceTime on your Apple Watch and received a notification from Apple that you are now able to use your phone number with FaceTime on your Apple Watch. Please list the steps here on how you accomplished this.

The OP didn't provide the entire notification nor did they say whether there was an OK, a link or otherwise which is why I asked about it but they did not respond. We don't know what their notification looked like but I believe it best to err on the side of caution.

But I will await your explanation of how you logged into FaceTime on your Watch and received a notification from Apple that specifically said you did this on your Apple Watch.

Jan 23, 2017 5:01 PM in response to deggie

When you pair/set up your Watch with an iPhone, it sends a notification out to all devices associated with that iCloud account to inform you that a new device has been set up and it is using your ID. Your only option is to hit OK to proceed.

I

f you see this notification and it is not you that has set up a new device, they will need to immediately log into iCloud.com and remove the device. I also suggest changing your password and security questions by logging into appleid.apple.com.

I am sure what happened is a person sharing the account(family likely) got a Watch and set it up with their phone with the shared Apple ID and therefore sent the notification to the iPad since using same ID.

Take care

Apple Watch2, Someone is using my phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.