Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from Mac OS X 10.6.8

My client has got an iMac with Mac OS X 10.6.8, and an HP Envy 5640. The HP is 6 months old and the iMac is 6 years! However, when attempting to download the driver for the iMac, it tells me (I do work from him, and I have only just started on Macs) that it's not compatible and that he should upgrade to 10.7. Is it free to upgrade?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 8:16 AM

2 replies

Jan 23, 2017 10:18 AM in response to tommy2k16

Lion is not free and I can't recommend it as an upgrade based on personal experience.

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed

2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)

8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

Also check to make sure there is a compatible driver for your printer.

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

macOS 10.12 (Sierra) requires one of the following Macs:

iMac (Late 2009 or later) Model 10.1 and higher

Upgrading from Mac OS X 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.