Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is IP address 239.255.255.250 on my network?

When I run IP Scanner to get information about devices on my network it shows the address 239.255.255.250, which isn't a device at all, and IP Scanner tells me there's "no information available". I've searched the community (and others) and have only so far gleaned that it's something to so with SSDP (simple service delivery protocol). I don't know how it got on my network and whether it's necessary or even potentially damaging. And if it's not necessary, how do I get rid of it from the network? There are some very old posts about this, but none helpful or informed, sadly.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Magic Mouse

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 3:28 PM

Addresses starting with a number between 224 and 239 are used for IP multicast. IP multicast is a technology for efficiently sending the same content to multiple destinations. It is commonly used for distributing financial information and video streams, among other things.

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=express&host=239.255.255.250

So, what all services do you have enabled?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2017 3:28 PM in response to Big McAl

Addresses starting with a number between 224 and 239 are used for IP multicast. IP multicast is a technology for efficiently sending the same content to multiple destinations. It is commonly used for distributing financial information and video streams, among other things.

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=express&host=239.255.255.250

So, what all services do you have enabled?

What is IP address 239.255.255.250 on my network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.