Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An error occurred installing IOS 10.2.1

Not sure if this is anything to do with the problem but a couple of weeks ago on my iPhone 6 I was deleting a few pictures and then I watched all my pictures delete themselves before my very eyes, and then all of a sudden they started coming back (minus my albums). Since then like I say I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I cannot download the new 10.2.1 software to my phone.

I have reset network settings, deleted from storage the software update, done a refresh when you hold the buttton instead of turning the phone off, have over 1gb of space which is masses compared to the actual software update itself but it's still not working. I have deleted loads, apps, pictures just to make sure I had plenty of room. Every time I do it it says unable to install update, an error occurred installing iOS 10.2.1.

Can anyone help? Never had a problem before, my phones only a year old, on 02. The photo attached is when it was charging but I've tried with 100%, charging, not charging. I am just clueless what else I can do without wiping everything .... turn it off, on, retry later, it just won't work :(

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 6:42 AM

Hello Sezzaapple,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you're receiving an error when trying to update your iPhone 6. You've done a great job trying to fix this so far. I'm happy to help.

At this point, I recommend trying to update using iTunes on your computer. Please review the steps below:

If you can’t update wirelessly on your iOS device, you can update manually using iTunes on a computer that you trust. If your computer is using Personal Hotspot on the iOS device that you’re updating, connect your computer to a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network before you update.

1. Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. Open iTunes and select your device.
  4. Click Summary, then click Check for Update.
    User uploaded file
  5. Click Download and Update.
  6. If asked, enter your passcode. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.
Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Have an amazing day!
105 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 6:42 AM in response to Sezzaapple

Hello Sezzaapple,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you're receiving an error when trying to update your iPhone 6. You've done a great job trying to fix this so far. I'm happy to help.

At this point, I recommend trying to update using iTunes on your computer. Please review the steps below:

If you can’t update wirelessly on your iOS device, you can update manually using iTunes on a computer that you trust. If your computer is using Personal Hotspot on the iOS device that you’re updating, connect your computer to a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network before you update.

1. Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. Open iTunes and select your device.
  4. Click Summary, then click Check for Update.
    User uploaded file
  5. Click Download and Update.
  6. If asked, enter your passcode. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.
Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Have an amazing day!

May 20, 2017 9:29 PM in response to Sezzaapple

I had the exact same situation where all the pictures disappeared and in a little bit come back saying that it is "restoring". Since then my phone has been acting up and many apps crashed and even if I deleted many apps the remaining storage did not change at all etc. Also the pictures would not come back all the way and crashed in the middle and went back to having no photos. I couldn't update my phone to the newest iOS on both iPhone and through iTunes but I was able to update successfully following these steps listed here How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

It says to

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Hope this helps! I just updated my phone to the newest iOS 10.3.2 so I am not sure if the problems are solved after the update but the pictures started to come back without crashing so hopefully it is fine.

Feb 6, 2017 10:30 PM in response to Sezzaapple

Same thing happened to me, but it's like a dead end! I finally updated my iOS but now my phone keeps on crushing at every level: first, I couldn't seem to turn it on. Then, it seemed to be full, I can't see/DELETE any of my pictures or videos, but they are still represented in my storage breakdown and I have deleted almost all of my apps (so I guess it will remain full). Now, it doesn't recognize any familiar passwords (my home's wifi and my iCloud). I sincerely don't know what to do, I've had this phone for 14-15 months and it has never failed like this.

Feb 11, 2017 9:31 AM in response to Sezzaapple

Same problem here. The iTunes solution does not work. I have to say that I am very disappointed in Apple. As a diehard Apple fan I can't believe that I have reached this point. Not only the quality of the hardware and accessories has gone down the toilet but now the software is also a mess. I was planning on upgrading my iPad and iPhone (already regretting the new MacBook Pro), but now I am having serious second thoughts. Maybe instead of builidng a massive compound that looks like a giant start button, you can make sure the stuff you are making actually work.

Feb 16, 2017 3:06 AM in response to Sezzaapple

Dear Technical Support Officer, same happened to me except that the errors says that I'm not connected to the Internet.

My wifi is working properly, so is my Sim card's 4G. I've even tried to "forget network", restart my phone & re-setup wifi on my iphone. Still I get back the same verification error saying that I'm not connected to the internet.

My other family's members' managed to update their iOS using the same wifi network.

I'm unable to use my PC to update my iOS as my Windows 10 refused to install the latest iTunes downloaded. Hence non of our iPhones can be connected to iTunes now, of course till we buy a new computer.

For now, is there any other solution to my iOS 10.2.1 update problem?

Regards,

Clara

Jul 15, 2017 9:55 AM in response to Sezzaapple

So... I was getting the same message when I was trying to update to 10.2.1... meaning "you are no longer connected to the internet"...

So I did the next thing: Settings/general/storage and ICloud usage/manage storage/delete the update (downloaded one 10.2.1).

Deleted it and then went back to sofware update and it was no longer there, but I had 10.3.2 available to download. Did that and the update went like charm.

Good luck!

Erika

Feb 20, 2017 1:18 AM in response to Sezzaapple

Hi

Try updating your software using iTunes (PC)

STEPS

initial steps

A-open iTunes backup your iPhone

B-now go settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings

1. make sure your wi-fi or data bundles are enough
  2. plug your iPhone in using a readable cable / one which will make your phone to be read by iTunes
  3. open iTunes
  4. now hold both wake and home button for until you see iTunes log on your i phone
  5. when you see that your iTunes on the PC will now direct you to whether RESTORE or UPDATE, then choose update .
  6. then follow the steps forward.

Hope this helps you thanks.

Feb 12, 2017 9:19 AM in response to Sezzaapple

I was running into the same issue. Connecting to iTunes and doing the update that way resolved things.

The symptoms I experienced, when doing it without iTunes:

When it asked me to update it flashed the terms, but they disappeared and then nothing happened next. If I went to update manually it then downloaded, validated and then seems it will start , but then complains with the error mentioned by the original poster.

BTW I am using an iPhone 5S.

An error occurred installing IOS 10.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.