Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10.1 BootCamp Network Virus Moved to Mac.

So I had partitioned my MacBook Air with BootCamp so I could use Windows 10.1 on it. Everything was working wonderfully and perfect until after a while, on the Windows portion, it began coming up an Open DNS Pop-Up on practically every single website imaginable, including: Gaming Websites, Video Streaming (YouTube), Web Forums, etc. I decided to then try and fix it by going to my Mac portion and search up what was wrong, and the same Pop-Up appeared. I decided to delete the Windows portion yet it didn't help, and I am stuck using Google Chrome using this extension called BetterNet, it pretty much makes a VPN to bypass it, but it is really slow. I have tried everything, I had even reset my whole Mac and it didn't help so I just restored my data from Time Machine. I then checked the forums of Open DNS and they said that if it blocking every website (or practically every website), then that means that Open DNS is only blocking it because there is virus forcing Open DNS to block it. So I decided to download Norton and run a FULL SCAN, and about an Hour to tell me what the issue was, and it said there was no issue. I was frustrated, I have done everything. I have even checked the Open DNS settings and turned it off and it didn't help. If you think it is my network though, you are wrong, every other device in our house works flawlessly online. I am sick of his and really would just like help.

If you are too inconsiderate to read this whole paragraph to help me, here is a summary.

I partitioned my Mac with BootCamp and I got Windows 10.1 on it and it worked fine. I then started getting Open DNS Pop-Ups blocking me from almost every single website ever, Open DNS says a virus is forcing them to pull up a blocker. I have tried everything, and Norton says nothing is wrong. The rest of our house's devices do not have this issue.

Please Help ASAP! I appreciate it, many thanks.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), 13-inch, Early 2015

Posted on Feb 10, 2017 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 2:33 PM

I will divide this reply into two parts for both of your replies:

1: There is technically only one way of "resetting" a Mac. Resetting any electronic device is where you delete all data that was previously on that device, and in some cases, you redownload the operating system necessary to use that device. Which is what I did. If you reset a Mac, that means you had deleted all files on there and redownloaded the operating system (MacOS Sierra Do not ask me which version of Sierra, it is in my description of my original post). I did that the only way that is possible, going into recovery mode (Turning on the system and instantly holding down Command + R), and I had clicked on reinstall MacOS. When I did so, Safari still did not work, So I had restored from Time Machine because I still had to access my files, I would've just kept the new computer files if it had worked, but it didn't.

2: As explained in MY ORIGINAL POST, I said this: "I have even checked the Open DNS settings and turned it off and it didn't help. If you think it is my network though, you are wrong, every other device in our house works flawlessly online." If I said that every other device on our network works flawlessly online, then that would indicate BY COMMON SENSE that each device in our house has Open DNS settings which are configured BY OUR NETGEAR ROUTER, so the only way to turn off ALL OF OPEN DNS' SETTINGS IS TO GO TO YOUR ROUTER SETTINGS ONLINE.

-READ THIS: I do not want a reply to this saying that I can go into my Mac's network settings and manually change the Open DNS settings, I have done that way too many times on my ACTUAL Windows computer and my Mac. And it never works. And I ALSO do NOT want to hear the suggestion to go to Apple, the guy said that many people have that issue and I have to go into my Netgear's settings and manually set which device has which access. Which is completely false because I had tried that BY TURNING OFF ALL OPEN DNS SETTINGS FOR EVERY DEVICE THAT IS REGISTERED TO OUR NETWORK (As I explained in my second paragraph). So I do not have the patience to argue with a "Level 7 Apple Community User" just for them to tell me in the end that I have to go to Apple to get a new Mac. I recently had been arguing with Apple for a week on my iPhone not working correctly with our home network, yet my sister has the exact same iPhone and her's works fine with the network, I did not get Open DNS blockage, just some features were not available on that network. And they said it had to be the environment, SO THEY WERE SAYING THAT THE ENVIRONMENT TARGETED ONE SPECIFIC IPHONE?!? I had then been given a loaned iPhone while they inspect my iPhone at a "Depot" to see if it is the iPhone that is causing this. And the loaner phone worked fine. In the end I did get a replacement phone, but I am not going back into that store just to have them say that it is the environment, because it is not, this is a MacBook Air. We have 3 of them in our house and I am the only one having this issue.

I am expecting a thorough reply because I just wasted 30 minutes explaining something that I have already explained twice, and I am currently sick and have work to do that I have to do. I am not trying to receive pity, I am only trying to explain to you how frustrating it is to have somebody with a high reputation (Or at least a high reputation here) to not thoroughly read my entries. And if you wouldn't read my original post and my first reply, which were much shorter than this, why should I expect you to reply to this with a valid answer.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2017 2:33 PM in response to Loner T

1: There is technically only one way of "resetting" a Mac. Resetting any electronic device is where you delete all data that was previously on that device, and in some cases, you redownload the operating system necessary to use that device. Which is what I did. If you reset a Mac, that means you had deleted all files on there and redownloaded the operating system (MacOS Sierra Do not ask me which version of Sierra, it is in my description of my original post). I did that the only way that is possible, going into recovery mode (Turning on the system and instantly holding down Command + R), and I had clicked on reinstall MacOS. When I did so, Safari still did not work, So I had restored from Time Machine because I still had to access my files, I would've just kept the new computer files if it had worked, but it didn't.

2: As explained in MY ORIGINAL POST, I said this: "I have even checked the Open DNS settings and turned it off and it didn't help. If you think it is my network though, you are wrong, every other device in our house works flawlessly online." If I said that every other device on our network works flawlessly online, then that would indicate BY COMMON SENSE that each device in our house has Open DNS settings which are configured BY OUR NETGEAR ROUTER, so the only way to turn off ALL OF OPEN DNS' SETTINGS IS TO GO TO YOUR ROUTER SETTINGS ONLINE.

-READ THIS: I do not want a reply to this saying that I can go into my Mac's network settings and manually change the Open DNS settings, I have done that way too many times on my ACTUAL Windows computer and my Mac. And it never works. And I ALSO do NOT want to hear the suggestion to go to Apple, the guy said that many people have that issue and I have to go into my Netgear's settings and manually set which device has which access. Which is completely false because I had tried that BY TURNING OFF ALL OPEN DNS SETTINGS FOR EVERY DEVICE THAT IS REGISTERED TO OUR NETWORK (As I explained in my second paragraph). So I do not have the patience to argue with a "Level 7 Apple Community User" just for them to tell me in the end that I have to go to Apple to get a new Mac. I recently had been arguing with Apple for a week on my iPhone not working correctly with our home network, yet my sister has the exact same iPhone and her's works fine with the network, I did not get Open DNS blockage, just some features were not available on that network. And they said it had to be the environment, SO THEY WERE SAYING THAT THE ENVIRONMENT TARGETED ONE SPECIFIC IPHONE?!? I had then been given a loaned iPhone while they inspect my iPhone at a "Depot" to see if it is the iPhone that is causing this. And the loaner phone worked fine. In the end I did get a replacement phone, but I am not going back into that store just to have them say that it is the environment, because it is not, this is a MacBook Air. We have 3 of them in our house and I am the only one having this issue.

I am expecting a thorough reply because I just wasted 30 minutes explaining something that I have already explained twice, and I am currently sick and have work to do that I have to do. I am not trying to receive pity, I am only trying to explain to you how frustrating it is to have somebody with a high reputation (Or at least a high reputation here) to not thoroughly read my entries. And if you wouldn't read my original post and my first reply, which were much shorter than this, why should I expect you to reply to this with a valid answer.

Feb 11, 2017 9:17 AM in response to JAnime_Gamer

Boot into Internet Recovery - About macOS Recovery - Apple Support - erase your internal disk, and install a new copy of OS X and upgrade it to match the version from App Store that you had before this started. Test using Safari.

Is you OpenDNS configured specifically for this Mac or is it on your Internet Gateway/Router?

Do not install any other software or application(s) or Windows and test.

Feb 12, 2017 3:41 PM in response to JAnime_Gamer

JAnime_Gamer wrote:

Command+Opt+R is Internet Recovery. Command+R is Local recovery. Please see About macOS Recovery - Apple Support for reference. To reset a Mac, the recommended method is Internet Recovery and erasing your internal disk and installing the offered OS X version from Apple servers and then upgrading it to the desired version, if necessary. Do not restore the Time Machine backup. Please try the clean re-installation and report if Safari on your chosen version of OS X on your specific Mac works or not.

JAnime_Gamer wrote:

This long-winded explanation is possible in one sentence by saying the Upstream router provides DNS. Do not muddy the discussion by bringing in other Apple products. Post in appropriate forums, if necessary.

Please remove OpenDNS and use Google IPv4 and IPv6 DNS on your Netgear DHCP server, as appropriate and test this specific Mac after you have re-installed OS X using Internet Recovery. Verify other devices, as necessary. This is no longer a Windows/Bootcamp issue, it is an OS X issue.

Feb 12, 2017 4:54 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

Wow— Loner T you certainly have the patience of a Saint here 😉

I do remember from some 5 years ago a DNS changer Malware going around. Do you think this could be related?

http://www.thesafemac.com/how-to-remove-the-dns-changer-malware/

Maybe the OP can restore from a boot clone prior to his mis adventure with BootCamp and Windows10 to start a new, no harm done.

We certainly know anyone who has "work to do" has a adequate backup plan in place. If not then his frustration is understandable.

How to create a boot clone

Feb 12, 2017 5:51 PM in response to JAnime_Gamer

If you do not want to use Internet Recovery, download the appropriate OS X installer to an 'uninfected' Mac and use Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support to create a USB Installer. Take this to your 'infected' Mac, wipe the internal disk and re-install OS X.

Once you have a clean OS X installation, let us try a simple test, after you fully re-install OS X on the 'infected' Mac. On an uninfected Mac, run a nslookup for www.google.com. Do the same on the 'infected' Mac. Are the results the same?

Have you tried using an IP address in your browser instead of a website name?

Wireshark is a tool to collect network packets. It can help you look at requests and responses from specific sources.

Does the 'infected' Mac work correctly if you are on a network which does not belong to you house network?

Feb 12, 2017 5:00 PM in response to Loner T

I am very aggravated now, because if you look back at my original post, that explains everything I have done. I am sick with this, I have now reset my Mac and it is still not working, I do not know what you want from me. I have tried every single suggestion I have seen, and I would just like to get somebody to actually help me. I will now type down EVERYTHING I HAVE TRIED AND THE RESULTS because I am sick of this.

• Went into Netgear and turned off all Open DNS blockage
  • Reset my Mac through system recovery TWICE
  • Attempted to do internet recovery but got an error: -2003f
  • Restored from time machine because I needed my stuff and the mac formatting did not work
  • Searched up similar questions and they had the same issue with the same claim (bootcamp)
  • deleted bootcamp windows from my computer
  • did first aid and there were no issues
  • searched the Open DNS forums
  • I currently use a VPN creator to bypass the issue on google chrome
  • Downloaded many antivirus softwares and they claimed nothing was wrong
  • All other devices in our household do not have this issue, including the ones that are the same device (MacBook Air)
  • made new users on the mac to test it and i still had the issue
  • installed macOS Sierra on a 1.5 TB drive and ran it on my mac and I still had the issue
  • I do not have the issue over any other network besides our 4 home networks
  • I cannot access any websites besides a couple
  • I went into apple for help and they did nothing for me

i may have missed some so I will mention them later on if necessary, i have to restore from time machine because i have work to do that i am having difficulties doing because I trusted Loner T into making me reset my whole mac, and Loner T told me that I should not restore from time machine, but I need my files.

Feb 12, 2017 5:11 PM in response to JAnime_Gamer

JAnime_Gamer wrote:

• Went into Netgear and turned off all Open DNS blockage
  • Reset my Mac through system recovery TWICE
  • Attempted to do internet recovery but got an error: -2003f
  • Restored from time machine because I needed my stuff and the mac formatting did not work
  • Searched up similar questions and they had the same issue with the same claim (bootcamp)
  • deleted bootcamp windows from my computer
  • did first aid and there were no issues
  • searched the Open DNS forums
  • I currently use a VPN creator to bypass the issue on google chrome
  • Downloaded many antivirus softwares and they claimed nothing was wrong
  • All other devices in our household do not have this issue, including the ones that are the same device (MacBook Air)
  • made new users on the mac to test it and i still had the issue
  • installed macOS Sierra on a 1.5 TB drive and ran it on my mac and I still had the issue
  • I do not have the issue over any other network besides our 4 home networks
  • I cannot access any websites besides a couple
  • I went into apple for help and they did nothing for me

1. What do you mean by turn off OpenDNS blockage? Did you switch to Google DNS?

2. Why did you not mention that Internet Recovery had -2003f prior to this? Was this on both wired and wireless connections?

3. You were asked not restore TM backups on several occasions. Why are you unwilling to follow suggestions?

4. First Aid is a Disk Utility tool.

5. AV software will not help.

6. What are these '4 home networks'? How is DNS handled for each of these networks? Are the problems specific to a single wireless or wired network?

7. Did I mention the word Wireshark?

Feb 11, 2017 3:38 PM in response to Loner T

No offense, but I feel as if you had not read my paragraph... I had mentioned that I had erased my computer and it didn't work, and I recovered my data from Time Machine because it didn't work, I wasted 2 hours doing that.

Quote from original post: "I have tried everything, I had even reset my whole Mac and it didn't help so I just restored my data from Time Machine."

And I had also checked all of my Open DNS settings AS I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST about how I turned off all of them and it didn't help, and I checked their forums as well.

Quote from original post: "I have even checked the Open DNS settings and turned it off and it didn't help. If you think it is my network though, you are wrong, every other device in our house works flawlessly online."

Feb 11, 2017 4:06 PM in response to JAnime_Gamer

JAnime_Gamer wrote:

No offense, but I feel as if you had not read my paragraph... I had mentioned that I had erased my computer and it didn't work, and I recovered my data from Time Machine because it didn't work, I wasted 2 hours doing that.

Quote from original post: "I have tried everything, I had even reset my whole Mac and it didn't help so I just restored my data from Time Machine."

There are multiple methods of 'resetting' a Mac, even getting it back to Factory, so a bit of detail is required on the exact steps that you took.

Restoring from TM will bring the problem back, unless you restored the backup prior to when your problem started. You do not describe what was actually restored.

And I had also checked all of my Open DNS settings AS I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST about how I turned off all of them and it didn't help, and I checked their forums as well.

Quote from original post: "I have even checked the Open DNS settings and turned it off and it didn't help. If you think it is my network though, you are wrong, every other device in our house works flawlessly online."

Where did you check the settings? I asked a very specific question - is the OpenDNS configured on your Mac only or in the upstream ISP Gateway/Router - so let me ask again - where is OpenDNS configured? A DNS server can be configured on the host manually or provided by a DHCP server. I suggest checking the DNS configuration on a working machine vs your Mac.

Are you using an HTTP Proxy? Can you capture traffic on the Mac using Wireshark? Have you tried to use the IP address of a website instead of it's name from your Mac?

Feb 12, 2017 3:54 PM in response to Loner T

This long-winded explanation is possible in one sentence by saying the Upstream router provides DNS. Do not muddy the discussion by bringing in other Apple products. Post in appropriate forums, if necessary.

Please remove OpenDNS and use Google IPv4 and IPv6 DNS on your Netgear DHCP server, as appropriate and test this specific Mac after you have re-installed OS X using Internet Recovery. Verify other devices, as necessary. This is no longer a Windows/Bootcamp issue, it is an OS X issue.

The first part of that response I can understand, but the red bolded part is where I draw the line, I say that because I said that I do not want to get a suggestion saying that I should manually change the DNS server because if it doesn't work on my mac, why would it work on other devices, I believe that this is going nowhere.

Feb 12, 2017 4:20 PM in response to Loner T

I Have two things to say to that:

1) I had given you the benefit of the doubt and tried the internet recovery option and it ended with me getting an error message, I searched it up and the person who was asking that question online on this same website had the same issue with boot camp and everything, so I am upset that you are claiming that it is not a boot camp issue, yet that person had the same issue with the same claim, so I am upset that I have to now try my best to reformat my mac again because I have no choice, I have work to do and I am currently typing this with my iPad.

2) I am offended that you are going to contact officials at apple just because you think that I am reporting this issue in the wrong community. I feel as if you do not need to worry about what I think, and the purpose of this website is not to correct people on where the community should be, but rather how can we help each other to figure it out, and I did read your comments, I have done everything you have said and now I'm stuck waiting for this mac to finish resetting so I can see if it'll work, and I'm hoping it will, because this is becoming childish.

Feb 12, 2017 4:35 PM in response to JAnime_Gamer

I am offended that you are going to contact officials at apple just because you think that I am reporting this issue in the wrong community.

This happens dozens of times every day. There is no need to be "offended".

Someone posts in the wrong community. Someone else sees that and asks the hosts to move it. Why? Because you get the best help if your question is in the appropriate forum. And, as the conversation developed, it became clear that yours wasn't.

In case you are not aware: we are all other users volunteering our time to help others. You are not speaking to Apple employees. We do not get paid. We do appreciate if everyone follows the ToU without being demanding and shouting (all caps) or telling everyone that they may be "too inconsiderate" - it makes for a much better experience for everyone.

Good luck.

Feb 12, 2017 4:42 PM in response to JAnime_Gamer

JAnime_Gamer wrote:

I Have two things to say to that:

1) I had given you the benefit of the doubt and tried the internet recovery option and it ended with me getting an error message, I searched it up and the person who was asking that question online on this same website had the same issue with boot camp and everything, so I am upset that you are claiming that it is not a boot camp issue, yet that person had the same issue with the same claim, so I am upset that I have to now try my best to reformat my mac again because I have no choice, I have work to do and I am currently typing this with my iPad.

Did you bother to post a link of the discussion you read/interpreted/searched? You are trying to install OS X, is that correct? It may have started as a virus on the Windows side, but the issue is OS X is not working, as you claim.

JAnime_Gamer wrote:

2) I am offended that you are going to contact officials at apple just because you think that I am reporting this issue in the wrong community. I feel as if you do not need to worry about what I think, and the purpose of this website is not to correct people on where the community should be, but rather how can we help each other to figure it out, and I did read your comments, I have done everything you have said and now I'm stuck waiting for this mac to finish resetting so I can see if it'll work, and I'm hoping it will, because this is becoming childish.

The virus may have originated on the Windows side, but are we trying to repair Windows or OS X, right now? If the answer is OS X, this is the incorrect forum. If it is Windows, does OS X Safari work? If you have wiped both OSes, and the issues are OS X-related, is this the appropriate forum for this discussion to go forward?

Once you have OS X installed, and upgraded to match the version that you had before the problem started, and tested Safari (or any other browser of your choice), I suggest you leave any references to Windows and just address OSX+OpenDNS issues, first.

Feb 12, 2017 4:41 PM in response to babowa

a response in all caps does not mean you are yelling, people just assume that, it could just mean they want the reader to read that sentence for sure. And I am 100% aware that you are not apple officials, because it is clear that apple employees would actually know what they are talking about, and I don't even know who you are, I was referring that to Loner T. And at this point im not sure if I want to even get anymore help, it is obvious that everybody here believes they are right if they have a higher level than other users. I am disappointed I could not get the help I needed, I.Will keep to that point until I get my issue solved, because when I took Loner T's suggestion to do all of the recovery things, I am now stuck with a loading mac, and I have work to do, I should not be having to type this on my iPad, and so that is why these responses are so grammatically wrong, it's because I have no choice, i have to get this out because I need to get this fixed, I was expected this to be helpful.

Windows 10.1 BootCamp Network Virus Moved to Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.