You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airpods

I cannot hear calls through the airpods

AIRPOD

Posted on Feb 17, 2017 3:19 AM

19 replies

Oct 6, 2017 11:08 AM in response to KG from Jersey

By confirmed, I was on a support chat with an apple rep and they said they know about it and engineers are working on it (see attached image). I've narrowed this down to it being an issue only when I'm on wifi. If I'm on my carrier (verizon) and using data, I can be streaming anything, Apple Music, Sirius XM, you name it and if a call comes in, they work fine. If I'm at home on my wifi, then I can not make or receive calls with my AirPods. I can listen to any audio stream either via a dedicated app, which I have a few, or through Apple Music. I was also told that AirPods don't like it if there is another BT device connected, like an Apple Watch. I generally have my AW, and several Tile trackers (they use bluetooth low energy) and my issue still only happens when I'm on wifi. I can do a soft reset of my phone and my AirPods will work for a little bit but will not continue to work after maybe 10 minutes or so. I'm thinking this is due to the other bluetooth connections reestablishing. My suspicion is that it has to do with the Apple Watch and the AirPods and how they work through iCloud. I recently upgraded to the Apple Watch series 3 LTE and hoped the new hardware would fix the problem, especially with the new W2 chip in the watch but it didn't. I also tested just the watch on LTE and the AirPods connected to the watch and that worked fine. It's only when I'm at home or connected to wifi. I should also note that I use wifi calling at home since I have spotty service where I live so it's a must that I use it. Apple has had me unpair my AirPods and watch and then repair the AirPods first then the watch thinking that may help but it didn't. I'm hoping that upgrading the the iPhone X when it is released will solve the issue once and for all. I'm currently using a 7 plus. Attached is the chat transcript where they say it's a known issue.

User uploaded file

Feb 19, 2017 1:32 PM in response to frostu2

- First check if you have the latest software: https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/06/how-to-view-airpods-hardware-details-check-and-up date-firmware-video/ (Firmaware Version: 3.5.1)

- Read this: Use your AirPods - Apple Support

- If all above does not help do this: Put AirPods in the case (keep lid open) hold the button on the back 3 - 5 seconds until the light blinks amber 3 times, close lid. Forget device in BT settings (iPhone) then reset network settings under settings - general.

Oct 16, 2017 7:58 AM in response to maxmon64

I am currently working with Apple support on this issue. it has been escalated to engineering. It seems to be an interaction with the Apple watch, but not exclusively. If I put the watch in airplane mode the AirPods will work - usually. But sometimes they won't if I'm near my Macbook Pro and my wife's iMac. If I move away from the office the AirPods work again. So it may be an interference problem. But it shouldn't be; I'm an engineer, and I've worked on microwave systems for 50 years. I understand the Bluetooth physical layer protocol; interference just shouldn't happen until you get to dozens of nearby connections. My phone is a 7 Plus. Some things I've tried:

• Watch to airplane mode: fixes it unless I'm near another Apple device (appreciate the irony)
  • Turn off Handoff in the Watch App settings: appeared to help initially, but later it made no difference
  • Turn off Bluetooth on my MBP: didn't seem to help
  • Possible conflict with Tile devices; there are several near my workstation; this needs further research

Sep 26, 2017 1:58 PM in response to frostu2

If you have an Apple Watch, Apple has confirmed this is a known issue. I can't make or receive calls on my 7 plus with AirPods unless I put my AW Series 3 in airplane mode. I have been in countless chats and calls with apple, most recently today and the most I get is a "we're sorry" and "we're working on it". I've confirmed I'm on all the latest firmware and latest OS on all devices. Very disappointed that these $159 earbuds, which are touted as making great calls with "beam forming" mics for clear calls are useless If I have an Apple Watch. This has been an issue since day one for me.

Sep 30, 2017 5:30 PM in response to Hubieonekanubie

I am having the exact same issue with AirPods and Apple Watch but I haven't been able to find any information that this is a known issue. My issue started happening about 6 or so weeks ago and is sporadic. Super frustrating. Happened to me on series 1 and series 3 watch with iPhone 7+ on 10.3 and 11.0

Do you listen to music or audio a lot? I listen to Sirius Satellite Radio app and Podcast app quite a bit. I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

KG

Oct 16, 2017 4:16 AM in response to frostu2

I have the same issue with AW2 and iPhone 7Plus. I had the AirPods replaced and the iPhone replaced too by Apple but issue still there. sometimes the AirPods connect to the iPhone in other cases they don't connect or voice don't go through them and I loose the conversation or call. I noticed that if I put the Apple Watch in airplane mode the connection gets restored. I tried to use AirPods with an iPhone 6 plus and situation was much better. As I am using AirPods at work for business calls, it is totally unreliable and if I need to make or receive important calls I need to have the headset with me not to loose the call.

Oct 16, 2017 8:17 AM in response to HaraldS

What is strange is that the AirPods still work for music and other audio; it is only Siri and phone audio that don't work.

I've also observed that if I am on a call I can still select AirPods as my audio source on the phone, but it doesn't actually work; the audio just goes silent.

This is clearly an issue that Apple needs to resolve; the best we can do is find workarounds until they do. But from my call with Apple and others reported in this thread Apple is aware of it and hopefully is working on it.

Oct 16, 2017 10:15 AM in response to frostu2

If I put Apple watch 2 OFFLINE the AirPods connect to iPhone 7 Plus as expected: very fast and phone calls go through perfectly. I switch on again the apple watch and AirPods randomly don't get audio and becomes mute. I switch off the handoff on AW but not helping. I am planning to DO NOT USE AW2 while i am at business and needs maximum reliability of Airpods

very weird

Oct 16, 2017 10:24 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Check to see if this only happens on wifi or when connected to LTE (I'm on Verizon btw). I can have my AirPods in and Apple Watch series 3 LTE connected and if my phone is using LTE and not on wifi it seems to work fine to take and receive calls on them. I've only experienced the issues while on wifi. Unfortunately, I don't get a very good signal where I'm located when at home (work from home so here majority of my time) so I must use wifi and wifi calling, which may be a factor in these issues. I was too told my case was escalated to engineering but have heard nothing.

Nov 9, 2017 7:06 AM in response to frostu2

I've had the same problems, both with phone 7 with IOS 10 and now with my X w/ IOS11. volume goes silent but for only phone calls and siri.. If I double tap my Airpods the phone reacts with siri but no sound on the Airpods. if I put my AW in airplane mode or turn it off I don't seem to have any problems. Ive called service and they acted like they don't know about any problems.. they even escalated it to a manager and he just asked me to log exact times this happens?? For me it doesn't seem to matter weather or not I'm on LTE of Wifi for the calls. So for now I guess when I use the airpods my watch is off, which ***** since I cant see who is calling or txt messages without pulling my phone out..

airpods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.