Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to set up airport extreme an unexpected error occurs

I'm trying to set up my airport extreme base station and the airport utility says "An unexpected error occurred. Try again.

It is an airport base station that was on my business and I did a hard reset in order to reconfigured it for my home network. It is wired properly and it says the same message even if I have it connected via Ethernet or not.

I don't know what to do. Please, any help?

I'm attaching photos...

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Airport Extreme-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Feb 28, 2017 2:57 AM

6 replies

Feb 28, 2017 10:57 AM in response to Cunnla

I have this exact problem as well. In my case, I'm trying to configure a second Airport Extreme (AC) as an extender for my other Airport Extreme (AC).

I did the factory reset as per the instructions on Apple Support. When I first selected the second unit, I was asked to rename it if I wanted, so I did. I clicked Continue (all of this in Airport Utility) and got the message that said "An Unexpected Error Occured. Try Again."

Each time I try this, I get the same error message.

Am I doing something wrong?

Attached are a couple of screenshots of what I'm seeing:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 1, 2017 3:10 PM in response to chefGRstergio

I tried the settings in the article you linked to, but the problem remains.

I wonder if the problem is that I'm not doing a full factory reset on the Airport Extreme I'm trying to use as an extender? If you've read the instructions on how to do this, you almost need three hands, as you're supposed to hold the reset button in with a pen/paperclip, and plug the unit into the wall while observing the lights on the router. Pretty difficult to do, from what I'm seeing.

Trying to set up airport extreme an unexpected error occurs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.