Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touchbar doesn't turn on at restart from bootcamp

I've noticed a consistent problem that when I leave my bootcamp'd Windows10 partition open overnight, the computer goes into hibernate/sleep/off (can't tell....) and I hit the power button to turn it back on, it restarts into macOS and the touch bar does NOT turn on with it. It will occasionally happen (inconsistent, aka haven't paid close enough attention to notice a trend) with booting INTO my Windows 10 that my touchbar does not turn on.

The problem is resolved at restart (either partition).

May be same problem this person is having? Not enough details to tell. I will go to genius bar in the next week or so if there is no response here.....

Touch bar not turning on

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), Touchbar

Posted on Mar 4, 2017 11:32 AM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2017 1:44 PM in response to aeryn21

Hello aeryn21,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are having issues with the Touch Bar on your MacBook Pro while in Boot Camp. If you haven't already, try repairing or reinstalling the Windows support software with the steps in this article:

If you don't see some Mac features when using Windows on your Mac

Cheers!

Aug 17, 2017 8:52 AM in response to i_rina

That's not the question. I'm having the same issue as aeryn21. The Touch Bar doesn't start up on Mac OS X if you had previously been using Windows 10.

1. Boot into Windows 10. Touchbar works as the only way to hit the escape key is through the Touchbar unless you have an external keyboard hooked up.

2. Boot into Mac OSX

3. Touch bar does not work at all.

I'm currently having to reset the System Management Controller every time(Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support). I have a 15" Macbook Pro that I got back in June so this is still an issue.

Sep 2, 2017 1:31 AM in response to Yawng (Steve) Suh

I am also having the same exact problem. It´s not consistent ALWAYS, but ALMOST EVERY TIME. I use windows 10 on bootcamp, Touchbar works perfect. After restarting into MAC OS, the Touchbar is off and won't start at all.

Last night I even shut windows down, went to bed, got up this morning, booted into Mac OS and had the same problem.

Only a restart fixes the problem for me every time. Hope there´ll be some fix for that soon, since this behaviour is very annoying.

Greetings

Dec 19, 2017 1:37 AM in response to Carliitoss01

No fix that I know of, but hold down Option + Command + P + R when booting back into Mac and it'll bring back the touchbar. It's some sort of memory reset, I was told. The black screen will illuminate and then darken, at which point you can let go and let the computer boot normally. I literally do this every day, as I use Win 10 at work and prefer MacOS at home.

Touchbar doesn't turn on at restart from bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.