Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Delete Mailbox "com.apple.Mail.Backup" after Time Machine Restore

I recently did a restore of some emails from a Time Machine backup. The restored emails were placed in the mailbox com.apple.Mail.Backup. I no longer need that mailbox but when I try to delete it, nothing happens.

On Sierra 10.12.3.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 16, 2017 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 8:20 AM

May be a long shot. Quit Mail. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mail/V4 and see if you can find/delete the mailbox there.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2017 8:20 AM in response to KSDenison

May be a long shot. Quit Mail. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mail/V4 and see if you can find/delete the mailbox there.

Mar 17, 2017 9:04 AM in response to KSDenison

Hello Tlwnao,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you’ve had trouble removing an unneeded mailbox, and I have some info that may help.

If you haven’t already, try relaunching the Mail app while holding down the shift key. This will start the app without loading any previously opened items. If you are still unable to delete the unneeded mailbox, I’d recommend trying to do so from safe mode as described in the article below.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If the behavior persists or you run into any trouble, we're here to help.
Best Regards.

Mar 20, 2017 10:00 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks again for the suggestion Eric. I fixed the issue, here's how.

When I went to Library/Mail/V4/Mailboxes there was no folder with the name "com.apple.Mail.Backup" to delete. This was an interesting find. What I realized was that the mailboxes in this folder were not my current ones. So I searched for where they were and they were in Library/Mail/V4/AosIMAP-ksdenison. Once there I deleted the folder, quit Mail and restarted.

Once I restarted I was able to delete the mailbox from within Mail.

Weird but done!

Dec 17, 2017 9:47 AM in response to Eric Root

In High Sierra I see a Mail/V5 folder. In it there are a lot of folders with strange names. One of them is called:

6C821BCA-0C72-4AAA-837C-3DC29677062F.

In that is a folder in one called:

com.apple.Mail.Backup.mbox.

In that is:

info.plist

Recovered Messages-1.mbox

Recovered Messages-2.mbox

Recovered Messages-3.mbox

Recovered Messages.mbox

Each of these have a bunch of folders numbered sub-folders. The final one has "Messages" with one very old email.

Should I delete the com.apple.Mail.Backup.mbox directory and get rid of all of this stuff?

Or will I 'brick' Apple Mail by doing so?

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2017 11:15 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for the answer. Let me ask this. Why does the folder show up on left panel of Apple Mail? I never saw it before until I messed with restoring a few emails via Time Machine under Sierra (not H.S.) I can understand Apple putting something in the panel, but NOT something that can't be deleted... and something with a better name than "com.apple.Mail.Backup" (with that capitalization.) And why are there 4 sub-folders all of them empty under it. Is this just 'bad' software or am I just being obsessive? (Note: I have 40 years of professional paid software design and programming... started in 1974 with Ross Perot's EDS.)

Dec 17, 2017 9:10 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for post, Eric. However, knowing how fragile Apple software is these days, I'm wary of deleting anything without the assurance from Apple that I won't brick the app or the entire system.

That said, has anyone out there with High Sierra tried to delete the com.apple.Mail.Backup folder and has lived to tell about it?

Dec 26, 2017 10:06 PM in response to KSDenison

I am able to delete through the UI. Steps I took: 1) selected all the sub-mailboxes under com.apple... 2) cntrl-clicked delete ( which did not delete the mailboxes, but did delete all the contained messages). 3) read this thread about all the command-line methods, and tried a bunch of other stuff, then.... voila 4) renamed the first sub-folder to com.apple... and after the rename it just disappeared. (Don't know if com.apple... itself will delete after I 'rename/delete' the hundred or so sub-folders. No need to guess what files to delete, nor take the risk of deleting something important.

Am pleased that I'm able to restore from Time Machine, but like another posted, annoyed that it secretly and silently planted the mailboxes into this com.apple... folder.

Dec 27, 2017 9:29 AM in response to turnupthemetal

Let me understand. We have a (root) folder under On My Mac named com.apple.Mail.Backup. Under that I have four (now empty) sub folders:

Recovered Messages

Recovered Messages-1

Recovered Messages-2

Recovered Messages-3

Did you just rename the root folder and the everything disappeared? Or did you first rename each of sub-folders to "com.apple," they disappeared and then you renamed the root?

Thanks.

Cannot Delete Mailbox "com.apple.Mail.Backup" after Time Machine Restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.