Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset icloud email password? NOT APPLE ID

I need to reset my iCloud email password, not the Apple ID password.

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2017 9:22 PM

Just because you see your iCloud mail address listed there doesn't mean it is the same password as for your Apple ID. I have just visited that page and I'm still getting a message saying that my iCloud mail needs fixing.

33 replies

Jun 18, 2017 9:34 PM in response to gail from maine

When I bought my first Iphone coming from Android, the salesman did not tell me that I had to have a @icloud account so I used my regular email as my Apple ID. After getting home and going through the phone and learning about it, I came across apple email. and I created one, now I do not remember that password, it is not the same as what goes with my apple ID. I wish I could delete the @icloud email account because I never use it, but I can not seem to be able to do that either. 😕

Apr 1, 2017 12:21 PM in response to salahananse73

That's not true. Your iCloud email can have a completely different password.

Not if it is also your Apple ID.

One can, but shouldn't, have multiple Apple IDs.

If your Apple ID has a different password than your iCloud email address, you have 2 Apple IDs.

For 2 different accounts.

Apple IDs require a valid email address to identify them, but that email address does not have to be a iCloud email address.

Apr 1, 2017 11:49 AM in response to Ferd II

That's not true. Your iCloud email can have a completely different password. They are not one & the same. the number of people trying to figure out their iCloud email password should prompt Apple to address this easily remedied problem.

One solution would be to automatically change the email password so it matches every time the iCloud password is changed.

Jul 7, 2017 6:16 AM in response to LACAllen

Hello, I'm using the standard issue email application that comes with windows 10 on my windows pc. I don't have the email issue on my phone, just my pc. I have had an occurrence when trying to do a restore or backup on my phone where I had to use an old Apple password. I have seen above that the confusion may come from having multiple Apple IDs but I'm not sure how to determine if I do in fact have multiple Apple IDs. Ideas?

Jul 16, 2017 2:57 PM in response to gail from maine

I think people with this issue simply want to control the password associated with the name@icloud.com (we agree this is separate to the Apple ID aname@isp.com and password). This is an issue when needing to sync iCloud to external apps needing a password for server p45-imap.mail.me.com.

I have spent all weekend trying to gain access to my 3,000 iCloud contacts and feel like I must now copy them contact at a time 😟

Jul 16, 2017 8:52 PM in response to alanofoz

As LAC Allen stated - your issue is related to the need for an App-specific password that is used instead of your normal Apple/iCloud ID password. It is not a different password for your @iCloud account, it is a different (and temporary) password for signing into the app you are trying to access.

You need Two-Factor Authentication or Two-Step Verification in order to be able to generate App-specific passwords. The preferred security option is Two-Factor, but not all accounts qualify for Two-Factor, so if you do not meet the requirements outlined in the Two-Factor article below, follow the instructions in that same article to set up Two-Step Verification (you must use the links in the article to set up Two-Step):

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Once you get it set up, you can generate and use the App-specific password as needed:

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Jun 29, 2017 10:21 PM in response to kaijaina

If, on your Apple ID page, you see your iCloud.com address listed just below your Apple ID email address, then it is, in fact, the same as your Apple ID, and as for passwords, it is the same password.

Now, if you have a password for the email account that is used by your Apple ID email address, that is not the same as your Apple ID account. So, if that's what you mean, then fine.

But in terms of an Apple ID account and the password that goes with that Apple ID account, it is the same for the Apple ID as it is for the iCloud.com version of the Apple ID. They are the same account, the same password.

GB

reset icloud email password? NOT APPLE ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.