Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on boot screen after Sierra update

I attempted to install the sierra update, and up until the apple logo screen, there were no issues, but not its been stuck on 90% for the better part of an hour...

Is there any way to "un-stuck" it?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 4:35 PM

I think the installation/ Upgrade has completed but the Mac has stuck at booting process. It might have been caused by an old driver/ kernel extention (.kext) file which is not compatible with macoS Sierra. There is a similar thread on the same issue. Follow the step that solved it. Similar Thread - macbook pro stuck on boot after installing 10.12.2

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2017 4:35 PM in response to Toruwara

I think the installation/ Upgrade has completed but the Mac has stuck at booting process. It might have been caused by an old driver/ kernel extention (.kext) file which is not compatible with macoS Sierra. There is a similar thread on the same issue. Follow the step that solved it. Similar Thread - macbook pro stuck on boot after installing 10.12.2

Mar 21, 2017 8:45 PM in response to Toruwara

Try restarting the computer. Hopefully, the upgrade will just pick up. Is this an update for El Capitan or an upgrade to Sierra? I think the latter. If so, then check in your Applications folder to see if the Sierra installer is still there - Install macOS X Sierra. If rebooting doesn't get you back on track, then just restart the Sierra installer.

Apr 29, 2017 2:41 PM in response to NowApple

You are welcome. I'd let it run overnight and if it still isn't installed, try booting into the Recovery Partition (command - R on a restart) and see if you can install it there or restore from Time Machine. If that doesn't work, try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart) and install the OS the computer shipped with. You can upgrade from there.

Stuck on boot screen after Sierra update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.