Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can InDesign CS5 run on Sierra?

I have InDesign CS5, version 7.0.4 that I purchased some time ago. It is still running on Yosemite and I am thinking of upgrading to Sierra but wondering if I would lose use of ID if I did that. Anyone have experience using ID CS5 with Sierra?

Thanks for any information.

— Richard

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 16 GB

Posted on Mar 24, 2017 11:46 AM

9 replies

May 11, 2017 11:40 AM in response to Richard Pitcairn

in many cases a clean install which is proceeded by the adobe cleaning tool on (you may want to keep this file handyif Adobe pulls the link at some later date) and then deleting the components then a reinstall can fix some problems if they appear.

The second measure would be create a new admin account on the mac when all else fails.

This too is required for CS5 and CS6

Download Java for OS X 2015-001

May 11, 2017 11:22 AM in response to Richard Pitcairn

I am not for one moment suggesting my case is the norm but after years of bitter experience I have always tried to avoid updating mac os because of previous (expensive) issues with adobe!

However, as iTunes have now upgraded their security which involved validation codes I was forced to do that very thing yesterday. I plumbed the internet and was left feeling very insecure but went for it so upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra.

I have adobe CS5.5 and I tried to open the programs and nothing seemed to happen for a long time. To be fair I think my old Mid 2011 iMac was still coming to terms with the trauma of the update.

Eventually, photoshop opened followed by illustrator and then indesign. It took a long time but after that initial wait they seem to open normally. I made a couple of very slight changes in each program to projects I have and they seemed fine but I have not carried out any in depth research. I am happy that so far so good and no crashes....

I have indesign 7.0

May 11, 2017 11:34 AM in response to nixlyn

I have been working more extensively in both Illustrator and Photoshop and so far the only oddity is that when I quit one of the programs the 'photoshop (or illustrator) quit unexpectedly box' comes up which I ignore. It certainly does not seem to have any other disadvantage as yet.Cautiously optimistic...

May 11, 2017 11:53 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Hi Jimmy you may be right but what I read on my investigations was that a lot of the people not succeeding were struggling with the actual installation of CS5 on Sierra.

I'm not going to pretend to know best but one of the things that persuaded me to give it all a try was the fact that my CS5 package was already installed so I was unlikely to fail for that reason.

Can InDesign CS5 run on Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.