Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch stuck on update while pairing

Hello i reseted my apple watch to connect it with my new phone and as i was starting to pair it says i have to update the watch to be able to pair so i go ahead with it and then it says my watch is up to date with the watch os 2.0 even though i know that the latest watchos is 3.1.1 can someone please help me

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 3:20 PM

Update:

I was wrong about running iOS 10.3 on the iPhone - I was still running 10.2.1. Updating to 10.3 resolved the issue - the Activation successfully verified that the Watch needs to be updated to the WatchOS 3.1 and is doing so now. 🙂

I also hard-rebooted the watch prior to trying another Pairing (holding both the Digital Crown and Side Button). I don't know if this also helped.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2017 3:20 PM in response to Blazheny

Update:

I was wrong about running iOS 10.3 on the iPhone - I was still running 10.2.1. Updating to 10.3 resolved the issue - the Activation successfully verified that the Watch needs to be updated to the WatchOS 3.1 and is doing so now. 🙂

I also hard-rebooted the watch prior to trying another Pairing (holding both the Digital Crown and Side Button). I don't know if this also helped.

Mar 29, 2017 2:55 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Hello,

I have the same problem too. The steps mentioned here don't resolve it.

Specifically, the problem occurs with the first pairing of a (new) Apple Watch on a (new) iPhone, so there aren't any options to delete update files, beta files, profiles, etc.

So:

- the first part of the pairing (bluetooth) is successful,

- the Activation process starts,

- then the Apple Watch App on the iPhone demands software update,

- the software update app tells me the current software version is up-to-date at version 2.2.1, no update is starting,

- the Watch is stuck in Activation mode, and,

- the only option in the App on the Phone at that point is to Cancel the update, which terminates the Activation process.

The watch (series 1) has been sold to me as (officially/certified) pre-owned and I'm running iOS 10.3 on the iPhone. The watch was bought off German eBay from an authorized seller and I'm running it on a Slovenian iPhone.

Please someone help.

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2017 7:41 PM in response to Nawafalawwad

Hi

The latest software version for Apple Watch is currently watchOS 3.2.

The following steps may help (try again after each):

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > General > Usage > Software Update - delete any update file, if one is shown.

Delete any beta profiles that may be installed for your iPhone and/or Apple Watch and then restart both devices after doing so.

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch (normally):

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch (which updates watchOS as part of the process):

More information:

Update the software on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sep 25, 2017 2:18 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Hi everyone,

thanks for your support. I have the same issue on one of my two series 1 watches.

FYI: I both 2 watches both series 1, one is 42 and the other is 38.

The 42 one could be paired normal. Nothing wrong here..

The 38 one is stuck with "current software version is up-to-date at version 2.2.2.

Exactly like Blazheny described it earlier.

I have an iPhone 5 and I also tried another iPhone 5. I also unpaired the working 42 and deleted everything...

Sill the same. And both are running on the latest available version (10.3.3)

Any suggestions?

Oct 1, 2017 10:50 PM in response to Katiedddt

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I was stuck on the “your watch is up to date screen”

Since this was the first time pairing, I didn’t have any settings to delete.

I deleted the Watch App from my iPhone 6 iOS 11 and reinstalled it from the App Store. Instantly after that when I attempted to pair again it prompted to update to the newest Watch OS

Hope that works!

Aug 2, 2017 12:55 AM in response to Blazheny

Fantastic.. I had EXACTLY the same issue @Blazheny.. I didn't even know how to return the watch to the seller.. But once I saw your post and realized I was also running iOS 10.2.1, the rest was history! Updated my iPhone and attempted pairing again to update the watch OS, My Apple Watch is now kicking and screaming! I just love having notifications on my wrist!

Thank you.

Nov 17, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Kempy202

Hello to everyone,

after a long time and not getting support from Apple. No answer on my "status update" and when I called a girl told me that this case-number doesn't exists anymore? So they save every information they can get, but the lost my case and "this can happen"... No it can't!

Anyway, I've update our phones to an 6s and to sync. the 5 with the 6s I had to downgrade it first to 10.3.3. As soon as this was done, I directly tried to pair the watch again... --> same error.

So I updated the phones to the latest iOS (11.1) and tried it again. Solved !!!

The only reason for this behavior in my opinion is that the watch was already updated to a version that isn't supported with iOS 10.3.3. So if you don't like to update your phone to a iOS 11 supported phone you need do downgrade the watch. A brief look into the Internet told me, that only Apple can downgrade it.

Dear Apple, feel free to send me a job invitation ;).

cheers enzo

Apple watch stuck on update while pairing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.