Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB headset chopped sound

My USB headset has always worked fine. However, after update to mac os sierra 10.12.4 the sound is chopped.

I hear the sound perfectly in all other outputs (HDMI, internal speakers and headphones).

I have restarted the system twice. I also killed all core audio processes, but no luck so far.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.4), headset plantronics Audio 478USB,US

Posted on Mar 28, 2017 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 7:15 AM

I think (but I am not sure) that macOS has the notion of generic USB audio devices (see https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2274/_index.html).

As part of this release, the audio drivers code was changed in the OS source code.

So it could be that the manufacturers (in my case Plantronics) was not 100% compliant with the spec in the 1st case, or it could be that Apple made a programming error in their new driver code.

Currently, the issue seems to be happening with Plantronics devices. I don't have another make to try this with (like Logitech).

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2017 7:15 AM in response to Rudegar

I think (but I am not sure) that macOS has the notion of generic USB audio devices (see https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2274/_index.html).

As part of this release, the audio drivers code was changed in the OS source code.

So it could be that the manufacturers (in my case Plantronics) was not 100% compliant with the spec in the 1st case, or it could be that Apple made a programming error in their new driver code.

Currently, the issue seems to be happening with Plantronics devices. I don't have another make to try this with (like Logitech).

Mar 28, 2017 10:18 AM in response to thiagotei

usb don't really carry audio so usb headset and speakers are really audio cards connected by usb

this require drivers to work, a new osx version could in some cases require a new driver from the manufactor

I would go to the manufacture of the headset and see if they have newer drivers and maybe ask if they plan on

making 10.12.4 support for the headset

Mar 29, 2017 9:04 AM in response to thiagotei

I've got the same issue with a USB Logitech H340 headset. Stuttering and choppy output regardless of source.

Tried it on different Mac's and even tried new headset new from package and same result. Works fine on 10.12.3.

Tried p-ram, 10.12.4 re-install and changing Audio Midi settings to no avail.

There's a new AudioAUUC.kext extension installed so it might be that one. I've raised a call with Apple so we'll see what they say.

Mar 29, 2017 8:41 AM in response to Tobiachi

Same issue, same headset (Logitech H340 USB). Headset audio was fine until I installed 10.12.4.

Mac is a Mac Mini (Late 2012) and I've done a complete reinstall of Sierra 10.12.4 with no improvement. Audio wavers in and out several times a second; no problems with audio via the speakers or headphone jack.

Mar 30, 2017 4:30 AM in response to thiagotei

The same problem here with Plantronics 478 U. Headset was working fine yesterday and I've already tried with 2 headsets as this is the standard one we use at work. Unfortunately with this problem I can no longer do video calls which is required for me at work 😟. A bit disappointing, Apple please provide an update or a workaround.

Mar 30, 2017 2:15 PM in response to Felinae

Additional information - running on iMac 27" with Retina 5K with 4.2GHz i7.

There should be no hardware performance reason for this issue, plenty of grunt to drive the audio.

I'm hoping someone can verify if they've had any luck with getting any specific model of gaming headset to work. I don't want to go buy a new headset and have it exhibit the same issue.

Apr 3, 2017 9:59 AM in response to thiagotei

I actually have the same issue on my 2016 MBPnTB.

My Plantronics .Audio 626 has this issue but the DA70, BT300 and C725 from the same company are working fine. I have this issue when using the .Audio 626 headset through the official Apple USB to USB-C adapter, but the audio goes away when using the Multiport AV USB C adapter (HDMI).

This is strange, but the USB-USB-C adapter uses USB 3.0 while the Multiport adapter has USB 2.0, so the issue might be related to the USB revision.

The same headset works fine on my home and work Windows computers and worked fine on the same MBP on 10.12.3 so Apple must've changed something on the latest update. I hope this is fixed on 10.12.5.

Apr 14, 2017 9:16 AM in response to thiagotei

I have this problem too and am also looking for solutions. There is not much info on the Plantronics site but I am going to try to enter a ticket with them. On another forum someone mentioned that they had done a full OS re-install and it fixed the problem. For the record, I have this problem with my Plantronics .Audio 655 DSP only on my MBP running MacOS Sierra. I have another MBP with MacOS El Capitan and have no issues with the headset.

USB headset chopped sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.