Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image quality loss when export to Word doc

Is there a way to keep original image quality when exporting to Word doc?

I am using Pages 5.6.2 on OS X 10.10.5

exporting to Word doc 1997-2004 compatible mode

Any solutions?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 2, 2017 7:31 AM

13 replies

Apr 3, 2017 3:16 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks Peter for trying to solve this.

I was "told" that image "quality" was lost. They sent me this photo. Left side is the original. Right side is what I gave them back after editing. Now, I don't know if that happened during the import or export, or maybe even both.

If you know a place where I can set Pages to leave all images alone, if there is one, pls do let me know.

As you can see, the right side, if you blow it up, is "boxier", or pixelated. (I am not sure if that's what's called. ) The original pic isn't a high def pic to start with though.

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2017 8:49 PM in response to imCharlieH

Hi Charlie,

Peter asked:

"What images are you referring to and exactly what is happening to them?

"Is it purely on screen, or is actual when printing?"

(emphasis added)

"...are not the same as the original" does not answer either of those questions. Peter rarely asks for information that will not be of use in finding an answer to the issue raised in the original post.

Would you like to try again?

Regards,

Barry

Apr 3, 2017 11:34 AM in response to Barry

Sorry, I wasn't trying to evade the question. It is* a problem I* am having.

What EXACTLY happened is:

- import a word .doc into pages

- edit some text with tracking on

- export it back to word .doc

(Word doc being .doc format both before and after, not the docx format)

Then, suddenly the images are off. These are photos and illustrations that was included in the original word doc. And they are* being printed for publishing.

I am not familiar with what types or other types of images are there. So I really don't know how to technically answer Peter's question. So I am describing what I went thru above.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help!

Apr 3, 2017 12:58 PM in response to imCharlieH

There is nothing technical about "exactly what is happening to them".

What does "the images are off" mean? They smell bad?

We can not see what you are looking at you have to tell us what you see.

You still have not told us whether you have tested this by printing your document.

Do you understand the principle of communicating an issue so that someone else who is not there can understand what it is?

Pages is not Word and Word is not Pages. Do not expect them to open each other's files as if they were. Things will change, apparently whatever this is is one of them.

Peter

Apr 3, 2017 7:01 PM in response to imCharlieH

At last we have something we can reply to.

Who told you? The commercial printer?

Neither your before nor your after look anywhere near good enough for commercial print. They look practically the same except I think you fiddled with it.

A commercial printer requires images that are 300dpi (dots (aka pixels) per inch) at actual size in the document. They also require the files are of commercial quality which means color balanced and adjusted to the printer's requirements.

Since you started with low resolution images and do not know what all the rest is, you are not going to fix the problem.

You can not make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Especially if you can't sew.

Either lower your expectations or hand over the job to someone who knows what they are doing and can talk to the printer. If you say the original images are low res, is that because you got them from somewhere else or you took your own happy snaps? Can you retake the photos with a better camera at a higher resolution? Because there is no other way to get decent printed results.

Peter

Apr 3, 2017 8:44 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I Just need to know if there is a setting somewhere to turn off Pages fiddling with images, either at the point of import or at the point of export.

Image was not high quality, or clear, but they were* of 300 dpi.

pls stay on the subject. we are not dealing with printer problems here. Printer gave me one image, and when Pages is done, it somehow got altered.

It is Pages that altered the image.

AGain, it's Pages here. (Pun intended)

How do I turn that off?

Please.

Apr 3, 2017 10:00 PM in response to imCharlieH

I am having a lot of trouble following the very little you tell us.

How can the image be both "300dpi" and "low res"?

Both your before and after files are mushy and unsuitable for print, they appear to be basically the same. You can't just take a low resolution bad photo and resave it at 300dpi. That does nothing except increase the file size whilst making the image worse by blurring it a bit more.

Can you tell us what the origin of the images was, what format it is, what physical and file size they are and what you did to it?

There is nothing to turn off because I doubt Pages did anything to your image, unless it was in an oddball format which you are not telling us about.

Also why are you taking Pages' files, converting them to an older Word file format to print to a commercial printer?

That is not how you prep files for commercial printing, which I tried to explain to you.

Peter

Apr 16, 2017 12:41 AM in response to imCharlieH

It sounds like you inserted the photo while working on document in Pages. And then, you exported it to a Word document. My suggestion is to export into PDF (selecting "Best" under image quality) instead and send this file to the printer's.

In my experience, I always send PDFs to printers because this ensures that no quality is lost that I do not intend.

Image quality loss when export to Word doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.