Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot turn off two-factor authentication

Hi there,

Someone please help.

Cannot turn off the two-factor authentication.

There is no "Turn off" selection in the Security part.

TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION

On

Your password and a verification code will be required when your Apple ID is used to sign in on a new device or browser. Learn more.

Help please

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.3

Posted on Apr 3, 2017 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2017 11:10 PM

Because I can't disable two factor despite never enabling it, and yet it's enabled on my account. And the "questions" are my security questions, something that shouldn't be enabled if you do have two factor enabled.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

Update: After a phone call though, I got two factor disabled, and reset my security questions. It might be something everyone having trouble with not being able to disable two factor has to do.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2017 11:10 PM in response to LACAllen

Because I can't disable two factor despite never enabling it, and yet it's enabled on my account. And the "questions" are my security questions, something that shouldn't be enabled if you do have two factor enabled.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

Update: After a phone call though, I got two factor disabled, and reset my security questions. It might be something everyone having trouble with not being able to disable two factor has to do.

Jun 15, 2017 9:47 PM in response to skwl

For anyone else having this problem, see this link: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?

You can't turn off two-factor authentication for some accounts created in iOS 10.3 or macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and later. If you created your Apple ID in an earlier version of iOS or macOS, you can turn off two-factor authentication.

If you don't see the option to turn off two-factor authentication on your Apple ID account page, that means you can't turn it off.

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

Jul 25, 2017 6:26 PM in response to dana012

Why? Two factor makes it impossible to sign into accounts using something like a mail server because it doesn't attempt to log in notifying my iCloud of an attempt. It just verifies the password, and when it fails it just doesn't login. So I cannot generate a code to even use two factor.

This doesn't even touch on the fact my account was created on the day @me launched, and that I never enabled two factor, so both questions asked make no sense to me. I've never set up a security question without the answer being (in one way or another) "security questions are a breach of privacy", not my real security answer for obvious reasons.

Basically, I don't need two factor, and forcing me to have two factor pushes me away from the platform.

Cannot turn off two-factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.