Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove a contact from a group text? With condition

How can I remove a contact from a group text with the following conditions?

1) I have the maximum number allowed (20 contacts);

2) several texts had been sent

3) there is no "add contact" button at the list of the list in detail (and therefore cannot remove)

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2017 11:02 AM

Hi there, Pepper5550!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! That is a great question you have about removing contacts from a group message. Check out this article with steps to follow to Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch .

Add or remove someone from a group conversation

Anyone in a group iMessage can add or remove someone from the conversation. You can remove a person from a group iMessage that has at least three other people.

Add a person

User uploaded file

1. Tap the group conversation you want to add someone to.
  2. Tap User uploaded file, then tap Add Contact.
  3. Enter the contact information for the person you want to add. Then tap Done.

Remove a person

User uploaded file

1. Tap the group conversation that has the contact you want to remove.
  2. Tap User uploaded file, then swipe left over the name of the person you want to remove.
  3. Tap Delete, then tap Done.

You can’t add or remove people from group MMS messages or group SMS messages.

Have a great day!
32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2017 11:02 AM in response to Pepper5550

Hi there, Pepper5550!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! That is a great question you have about removing contacts from a group message. Check out this article with steps to follow to Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch .

Add or remove someone from a group conversation

Anyone in a group iMessage can add or remove someone from the conversation. You can remove a person from a group iMessage that has at least three other people.

Add a person

User uploaded file

1. Tap the group conversation you want to add someone to.
  2. Tap User uploaded file, then tap Add Contact.
  3. Enter the contact information for the person you want to add. Then tap Done.

Remove a person

User uploaded file

1. Tap the group conversation that has the contact you want to remove.
  2. Tap User uploaded file, then swipe left over the name of the person you want to remove.
  3. Tap Delete, then tap Done.

You can’t add or remove people from group MMS messages or group SMS messages.

Have a great day!

May 13, 2018 2:44 PM in response to Brendafromjersey

Nothing has changed about this feature since it was added. You can add and remove people from a group thread only if everyone in the thread is using iMessage.

ARE YOU LISTENING APPLE???

No, they aren't listening here. The only people you're yelling at are your fellow users.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 24, 2017 1:08 PM in response to Pepper5550

Christmas Eve and I am getting frustrated family saying remove them from a group message I created or delete it altogether. Sure wish I could. I’ve tried for an hour and CAN’T. My anxiety is thru the roof and I will NEVER start a group again. Seems like I can never do anything right. I should have spent the extra time contacting the 18 families in person separately. I’m angry Apple doesn’t seem to think this is an important issue to fix. 😡😡😡

Jan 27, 2018 12:24 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Not helpful, Joseph_S. For all the reasons related in the comments. Apple needs to fix this. I've had two problems related to this in the last week. In that same time, I've had other people say "Why the **** are you using iMessage for that? You should use Messenger or WhatsApp." Unfortunately, not everyone has those apps, but believe me, as soon I find a way to message multiple contacts at a time without the glitches, confusing interface, and lack of controls found in iMessage, I will be gone!! I can't wait for the day when I can kick iMessage to the curb!!!!

Feb 26, 2018 6:17 PM in response to ShayGoods99

ShayGoods99 wrote:

i have the latest update and this is not now nor has it ever been available as an option. the only things available are my current location share my location hide alerts images attachments

It is only an option if everyone in the group is using iMessage. So, if you've never seen it, you must not be in any groups that are all iMessage.

May 1, 2018 9:21 AM in response to Pepper5550

I got around the problem as follows:

I deleted the thread of the previous group.

Then I started to make a new group by starting a new message and entering the first name.

The contact popped up but so did the old group.

I chose the old group and highlighted the name to be removed then hit back space.

The new group remained intact and the deleted person was gone.

This wouldn’t work if you wanted to keep your old thread. Hopefully this helps some people.

Jul 19, 2018 1:39 PM in response to Pepper5550

OMGOSH!!’ I hate that you cannot leave the group or delete a person from a group message. I had to delete the entire group and start over only because one of my contacts was bad. Un...freaking believable!!’ It doesn’t make since that all your group members need to have an iPhone. Excuse me Apple there are other phone providers that People have besides Apple. Out of all the people that you would know what in the world are the odds that they are all Apple users 😳. Apple needs to figure this out or I’m hopping on the galaxy flight! Besides rheir camera takes better pics anyway 😜

Jul 29, 2018 8:37 AM in response to Pepper5550

This does not work. I am unable to delete a person or add a person from a group text. There are only 11 people on the original chat. The 11th person was kicked off the chat with replies and the wrong person I’m trying to delete has no option. I tried editing and changing the phone number but it still kept the wrong phone number on the message. Very frustrating... is there another way or is this an issue that needs to be fixed?

How do I remove a contact from a group text? With condition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.