You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store asking for the password to update the applications while it's not required in the settings

On my iPhone 6, When I try to update the apps, I get a message requesting the password while in the settings the password not required

Posted on Apr 14, 2017 7:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 3:27 AM

Hi the same thing happened to me too after I turned on restrictions. Now restrictions are turned off, but still I have to enter my password to proceed with update all. For all other purchases in the appstore touch id works! Could you find any other solution for this so far?

Also anbohre user has the same problem in another thread: App store 'Update All' requires me to enter password

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2017 3:27 AM in response to HanyS13

Hi the same thing happened to me too after I turned on restrictions. Now restrictions are turned off, but still I have to enter my password to proceed with update all. For all other purchases in the appstore touch id works! Could you find any other solution for this so far?

Also anbohre user has the same problem in another thread: App store 'Update All' requires me to enter password

Apr 15, 2017 5:54 AM in response to HanyS13

Greetings HanyS13,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that the App Store is asking for your password to update apps, even though the settings are set to not require a password. I definitely want to make sure that you can update apps without a password if that's how you'd like it set up. I have a couple things for you to try.

First, sign out of the iTunes & App Store in Settings, then sign back in and test to see if you get the same password prompt. Tap Settings > iTunes & App store > Tap Apple ID > Sign Out > Then, choose Sign In.

Next, force close the App Store app and restart your iPhone 6. Then, test and see if you get the same password prompt. It's possible that the App Store app isn't responding like it should and prompting you for this password.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Additional information about iTunes and App Store password preferences can be found in support article: Manage your iTunes Store and App Store password preferences .

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards.

Apr 20, 2017 5:57 AM in response to HanyS13

Hello HanyS13,

Thank you for trying those steps, and sorry to hear that you're still having the same issue. We have something else for you to try.

First, use this article to make sure that you have a backup of your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch .

Then, use this article to reinstall iOS: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . Note: This article is intended to be for a different issue but following steps 1-5 will help you reinstall iOS without erasing data.

Once you've completed these steps, let us know if you still get the same result.

Cheers.

App Store asking for the password to update the applications while it's not required in the settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.