Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS update - prompt for old passcode

Our users have been reporting that while attempting to update to the latest available iOS version 10.3.1, they receive a prompt asking them to enter their previous passcode. The problem is that most of our users have trouble rememering their current passcode so how can we expect them to remember the previous one. They are stuck in a loop that keeps asking them. As anyone experienced this?

iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 20, 2017 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2017 5:02 AM

People are getting prompter for "Enter Old Pascode" when they try to upgrade. This is the first time this has been happening since we deployed iPhone company wide. We are trying to understand what caused this.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

11 replies

May 26, 2017 12:00 AM in response to turingtest2

After several vexing weeks, I figured out how to get around this annoying bug.

After updating to iOS 10.3, my iPhone 7 prompted me to enter my iPhone passcode. No problem. Then it asked me to enter my "old passcode." The problem is, this device has never had any other passcode. I tried entering the correct passcode again, but got an error saying "verification failed" and I got the ominous "1 failed passcode attempt" warning. Since I have my phone set to wipe all data on ten failed passcode attempts, I was wary.

I tried entering my passcode that I use on my iPad because it's a different passcode. That also failed, like I thought it would. Just below the six white dots representing the digits of the passcode, it says "Forgot iPhone Passcode?" I tried that. This opened a screen giving me the option to enter my passcode for a different device. Curiously, the list showed both my iPhone (the one I am using) as well as my iPad. I selected the iPad, and the screen prompted me to enter my iPad passcode. When I did, I got the "verification failed" message again, and it returned me to the screen which listed my iPhone and iPad. I figured I had (almost) nothing to lose by selecting my iPhone, even though I had already tried entering my correct iPhone passcode as noted above. When it prompted me to enter my iPhone passcode, I fully expected it to ask me again for my "old" passcode, but miraculously, it didn't. Instead, my iPhone signed into iCloud and now everything is good.

That resulted in an error saying I had too many incorrect passcode attempts, and that I would be locked out of iCloud, the App Store, etc.

Summary:

1. Enter current password when prompted

2. When it asks for your old password, touch "forgot password"

3. On the next screen, select the device you are trying to sign into

4. Enter your current password

5. You should be logged into iCloud

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2017 5:16 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

That's not the case. My colleagues phone, for example, was unlocked fine using current passcode or fingerprint. Everything was working as expected. When he tried to install the latest iOS update 10.3.1, that's when he received the prompt. He only has one Apple ID and he never changed the Apple ID on his device. Our devices are enrolled in AirWatch (DEP) and push applications to update them using the VPP using "device based assignment".

Oct 7, 2017 3:30 PM in response to turingtest2

This worked like a charm except for an extra step.

After selecting my current iPhone 7plus and entering my passcode, it offered me a choice between three other devices I have or had owned. I chose my current laptop and it asked for the ID I use to sign into that device as well.

After a long wait, the system accepted the extra step and logged me in.

Thank you so much for the research into this annoying problem.

iOS update - prompt for old passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.