Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning on iCloud sync removed all my Live Photos

I used my iPhone 7 for about 5 months without synchronization with iCloud. I turned on sync and all my Live Photos disappeared. They were removed and I can't even find them in trash. I don't know what to do. I tried to turn off sync but photos are gone. How can this be even possible? It's my worst experience with phones!!!

Posted on Apr 23, 2017 2:28 PM

26 replies

Apr 24, 2017 11:46 AM in response to skEzio

Hi skEzio,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I understand that when you enabled iCloud Library to sync on your iPhone 7, Live Photos have disappeared. I'll be glad to help you try and retrieve these Live Photos.

First, I recommend trying to search your iPhone to try and locate these Live Photos: Use Search on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch .

Next, have you ever backed up your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes? If so, you can try to restore from a backup to get these photos back: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup .

Please let me know if this helps, or if you have any questions.

Best Regards.

Apr 25, 2017 2:13 AM in response to sterling r

Hello,

I don't have iCloud membership and I have never used it. I used only OneDrive application to synchronize photos from my phone to OneDrive storage cloud. OneDrive preserved all my photos in my iPhone, it just synchronized jpeg files.

I read that iCloud can synchronize also live photos with *.mov video part. Therefore, I tried to turn on iCloud Photobook in Photos settings on my iPhone.

I waited few minutes to see whether something synchronized. I logged into my iCloud account and discovered that only few jpeg photos were synchronized. I turned it off.

I discovered that live photos are synchronized only when i have membership paied.

Whole album with Live Photos disappeared. I even used file manager app and tried to find these photos. Whole album was gone.

Then I tried to took new live photo and album was there but only with 1 new photo.

So my conclusion is:

Turning on and off iCloud sync caused that all live photos are gone.

I am not so upset because i have my jpeg photos on OneDrive. But I lost live version of these photos.

Jun 8, 2017 11:09 PM in response to Sticksy

Same happened to me when I turned iCloud Photo Library off (since my storage was full) and then back on. No way to recover those live photos again from iCloud, they were just gone.

Luckily I was already backing up my photos through (Oh irony) Google Photos/Drive, which also happens to support live photos. So Google saved the day :).

Aug 5, 2017 4:54 AM in response to skEzio

Here's one more user having this exact same issue. Such a mess, most of my work related photos are missing.

I have tried to re-login to iCloud, restart the phone, sync with iTunes - all of them several times. Only conclusion seems to be that users need to avoid iCloud service at first place.

Will for sure be using Google Photos instead. If I would only knew this before yesterday...

Aug 13, 2017 10:40 AM in response to skEzio

Same thing happened to me. In addition to finding out that the upload speed is horrible, I have now lost around 2000 Live Photos from my phone! Apparently permanently, as they are nowhere to be found.

This should be as the pinned warning on /r/apple. People need to use non-Apple services to backup their Apple products in order to be safe!

Shame on you, Apple, for knowing about these problems for months and not doing anything about them!!!

Aug 16, 2017 4:06 PM in response to skEzio

Same here. iCloud deleted all my live photos. Of course, Apple denies responsibility. I have lost more than 4000 photos. A whole year of invaluable memories gone. I trusted iCloud for backing them up and they got deleted. I will never trust Apple again.

I called Apple support and they told me to try recovering the deleted photos using a third party data recovery service, which I have done with no success.

I can't believe Apple is aware about this issue since several months ago and they do nothing about it, not even displaying a warning when enabling iCloud!

Did anybody find any solution?

Oct 17, 2017 9:11 PM in response to ortizd428

Sorry to hear ortizd428. Maybe stick to Android for your next phone or maybe don't mess with your iPhone settings...dun dun dun. I know it's not fair and I don't understand how all your photos can dissapear just like that. Sad sad story :( . No solution from Apple but to blame you for not backing up your photos? Screw the iPhone.

Turning on iCloud sync removed all my Live Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.