Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods keep disconnecting

I've had them for about a day. I used them for about 30 minutes for a phone call. After that they kept disconnecting and even when they say they're connected you can't hear anything. I've unpaired them and repaired them and they just don't work.

airpods-OTHER, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 24, 2017 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 12:34 PM

i’ve has my airpods a couple of weeks and today they just started to disconnect and reconnect every 30 seconds. i thought the battery was almost dead so i put them in the charging case and they read 43% charge. i looked around and unpaired them from all my apple devices and verified they were not attempting to connect to my mom apple devices and still they were disconnecting. going to notify apple today to get a fix for this.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2018 12:34 PM in response to cindy247

i’ve has my airpods a couple of weeks and today they just started to disconnect and reconnect every 30 seconds. i thought the battery was almost dead so i put them in the charging case and they read 43% charge. i looked around and unpaired them from all my apple devices and verified they were not attempting to connect to my mom apple devices and still they were disconnecting. going to notify apple today to get a fix for this.

Dec 1, 2017 1:40 PM in response to Jsnpotter

So I have the same issue. I can get the AirPods to work outside of my house.

In the house they pair easily, work with music, YouTube, etc. However, as soon as I make a call there’s no sound whatsoever. I can see that the Airpods are connected, but I can’t hear the caller and they can’t hear me until I move to iPhone speaker or iPhone.

I can see that there’s some interference at play here, what I can’t understand is how I can do just about everything else with the AirPods except make a bloody call, (which is why I bought them).

Nothing else in my house is effected by interference. I have a Netgear router, Sonos, Firesticks, AppleTVs, Xbox, a plethora of wireless devices connected with no issues - and neither have I had any, why should the AirPods be so sensitive?

May 10, 2018 9:12 AM in response to Gdrenick

Ever since the latest update 11.3.1, airpods connect and disconnect randomly. Others have noticed the same thing as well.

This needs to be addressed ASAP. I had ZERO issues with mine until the latest update.

I did everything that I was told. Forget device, reconnect, reboot, factory reset, etc. Nothing changes this issue. Nothing.

Oct 12, 2017 6:33 AM in response to cindy247

I am having this same issue. It is the most frustrating thing to have to deal with. My AirPods keep connecting to my Apple Watch. I’ve put my watch in airplane mode and it still will not play. The only workaround I have found is syncing then AirPods in the charger. But I don’t carry it with me. In the long standing time I’ve been with Apple I have never been so disappointed nor frustrated!!

Dec 26, 2017 4:33 PM in response to Jsnpotter

I just used this resolution for my issue, which was not exactly as described above, but perhaps worse - AirPods were invariably disconnecting after just a few seconds. I had to place them back in the charging case and let the W1 chip do its automatic pairing with my iPhone again. I could see it disconnect and reconnect a few times before it finally stuck.

Apr 2, 2018 11:58 AM in response to louish

I may be a victim, too, of being an Apple FanBoy buying AirPods for phone calls. I have multiple Apple devices used via my Apple/iCloud ID.

If removing the AirPods from other devices - Watch, Mac, iPad, etc - I can do that, though not sure how to make it permanent given the iCloud sync it uses.

As others have said, my primary use for the AirPods is for phone calls. And having the AirPods shared with my Watch allows me to step away from the iPhone and mute/control the call via my Watch.

Has anyone else found a solution other than disabling Bluetooth on other devices than the iPhone?

Apr 30, 2018 7:29 PM in response to cindy247

My AirPods were losing connection with my iPhone X with the latest iOS 11.3x and 11.2x. I unpaired the AirPods. I then shut down my MacBook (that had Bluetooth on, but not connected to the AirPods). I then shut down my iPad mini (that had Bluetooth on, but not connected to the AirPods). I left the Apple Watch alone. Finally, I repaired the AirPods to my iPhone X.

The AirPods have been working ever since without dropping the connection or callers complaining that they cannot hear me. What is critical, I think, is that I keep my iPad and MacBook turned off as I have them both set up to receive a phone call from my iPhone.

I think the Apple ecosystem needs to better manage multiple Apple devices. There should be one dominant device which by default should probably be the iPhone. Did I hear that iOS 11.5 was going to address Bluetooth device management (e.g., AirPods, HomePods) better?

May 17, 2018 12:07 PM in response to spasel

I am on High Sierra 10.13.4 and as soon as the air pods are idle for maybe 5 minutes they disconnect, continually beeping in my ears as if they are trying to reconnect and will not reconnected unless I go to bluetooth settings, disconnect and reconnect. Its almost like the iMAC is putting bluetooth to sleep on the computer itself.

I guess I have to have a phone call every 5 minutes in order to keep them online.

I have tried the following things.

1. Turn off all of my apple devices except my iMac and re pair to my imac.

2. Remove Bluetooth pairing from all of my devices. Turn off phone and ipad. Hold down the pairing button on the case for 25 seconds till its reset. Re Pair the device to my IMac. Still has the problem.

3. On my MAC reset Bluetooth using the Bluetooth explorer tool, reset and repair bluetooth and then do item #2 all over again. Nothing seems to resolve this.

Very frustrating, we are moving to softphones I have to have some device to work. Maybe I am stuck tethered.

Jun 24, 2018 2:31 PM in response to cindy247

I’ve had my AirPods for exactly 17 days. The day I started using them they would continuously “disconnect” from my iPhone 7 Plus but as the music is still playing it would say they’re still connected. I could see the timer on the music countdown but no sound and it would happen a lot. I would have to select “play on the iPhone” then reselect AirPods and it would work again but only for a few songs. It did it constantly. I disconnected, forgot the device several times, rebooted the phone and reset the AirPods. Nothing worked. I even checked to make sure software was up to date. I exchanged them at the Apple store after 7 or 8 days and the new pair did it too. I had already been trying to decide if I should upgrade my phone or not and finally decided to since I wanted to keep the AirPods. I upgraded to iPhone X 4 days later and haven’t had a problem since. I wanted to make sure this was on here because I’ve seen several posts that this seemed to be the only possible fix but no one ever really came back to say that upgrading their phone worked or not. And I’ll say, I guess it’s possible for there to be interference but I’m sure that wasn’t the issue with mine since I used them everywhere in the same places I used them in the first week I got them and that includes the exchanged pair- it wasn’t until 4 days later, after upgrading my phone that my AirPods finally worked properly. Sometimes they take a little playing with to get them to pair to my Apple Watch but other than that they’re fine now. BTW- yes I tried using airplane mode on my watch when I had issues and that didn’t help any.

Jun 25, 2018 4:33 PM in response to cindy247

This needs to be fixed! Happens with iPhone SE and 7 plus. With or without Apple watch. There is some sort of bug and Apple needs to fix it. It is not interference. The AirPods still show to be connected audio is still playing but there is no sound. You have to select play on phone and the audio comes back and then select play on AirPods to get audio back in your ears. Unacceptable!! Had my pods replaced once and reset software blah blah blah. Fix your software. Please!!!!!!

Airpods keep disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.