Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iCloud breach phone call a scam?

I am getting phone calls to talk to an Apple support advisor re: an iCloud breach. Is this a scam?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Apr 24, 2017 5:12 PM

35 replies

May 30, 2018 3:19 PM in response to churchladysnl

Such as this…

If you get a suspicious phone call or voicemail

Scammers spoof phone numbers and use flattery and threats to pressure you into giving them information, money, and even iTunes gift cards. Always verify the caller's identity before you provide any personal information. If you get an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Apple, hang up and contact us directly.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Mar 25, 2018 4:24 AM in response to BFG47

Obviously this scam is continuing. I too am getting the automated recording claiming a breech in my iCloud account I don't even use iCloud! The call warns to call them before using any of my Apple devices. I have had 3 calls from them within 2 hours today (5/2/17). The number they're using for call-back is ***. The number they are calling from uses the 408 area code to make it look like it's from Apple headquarters.

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

May 2, 2017 4:56 PM in response to stedman1

After calling the scam number and letting them look at my computer, I became suspicious and hung up. I then called Apple support and asked if it was a scam--he did not know. I told him I was afraid there might have been an actual breach and my data might have been taken. The support tech then referred to Bright Circle -- a company which essentially did exactly what the scammers started to do. I ended up paying them $229.00 . Apple support should have know that there is a scam out there and could have told me there was no iCloud breach and I could have avoided spending 2 hours with the Bright Circle tech and saving my money!!

Mar 25, 2018 4:24 AM in response to BFG47

I got an automated scam call today pretending

to be Apple, which advised me to call *********for an Apple advisor. According to information I found on the web, the area code is assigned to Nigeria, which lifted the last 7 digits from an American mobile service. The call came to my landline, not to my iPhone.

[Edited by Host]

Mar 25, 2018 4:26 AM in response to BFG47

I just received two phone calls 1 hour apart from this same number telling me my iCloud has been breached and not to use any apple devices. I Stayed on the line, with the impression that it may be a scam, but wanted to hear what they had to say. Some foreigner man answered and asked if I had an apple product? Well duh!!! That's why u guys called me. Then asked me if I had a laptop or desktop computer to which I replied yes, and he asked me to type in the search bar www.appleassist.me I didn't know who these peeps were and didn't want to give them access to my computer so I just hung up on them. I'm glad I did! The number they called from was ******** so I called it back and theirs an automated message stating the obvious, that this is a scam!!! Don't fall for it peeps!

[Edited by Host]

Jan 1, 2018 12:22 PM in response to Iusesuspenders

Not by a SCAM phone call - read the article posted in this thread for more information

and yes scammers continue - do not send money to your grandchild to get out of jail in a foreign country, give information to get your money out of Nigeria or call back the IRS because they leave a message about their final call - Scammers are scammers and they will continue as long a people fall for them - do not be one of the suckers

LN

Feb 1, 2018 9:19 AM in response to BFG47

We’ve been getting non-stop calls so I checked the number, got an address, and it checks out to be an actual Apple store. But I get the feeling it’s a scam because we received no email or text and I am the only one with an iCloud account, which is not connected in any way to the landline. It’s annoying and I’m still looking for a way to report it.

Mar 25, 2018 4:23 AM in response to BFG47

I started getting these this week. Robo calls from a few different numbers; I actually talked to a tech and I could here his kids and wife yelling in the general area of him, his Pakistani accent was so thick, I could barely understand what he was trying to tell me to do. I hung up within seconds of starting the phone call.

The numbers were:

The first two I let go to voicemail and they both asked me to call back to ******

The third one I actually answered and it gave me prompts to talk to a tech now or something else (don't remember what it was now).

Definitely a scam

​[Edited by Host]

Mar 22, 2018 3:28 AM in response to BFG47

iCloud Breach Scam

On 3-21-2018 @ 2:54PM @ 5:26PM 2 automated messages left on landline answering machine recording as follows: We have found some suspicious activities in your iCloud account. That your iCloud account has been breached. Before using any apple device please contact apple support advisor press 1 to connect apple support advisor. Press 2 to listen to this message again or if you wish to contact us later please call us on our Toll-free number 716-***-3246

FYI: This is iCloud breach phone call a scam please do not call the number.

[Edited by Host]

Is iCloud breach phone call a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.