Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes keep asking for password on free apps?

I go to download a free app, and it keeps asking to type in my password, I have checked it on both my iPhone and computer to let me download free apps without using my password. It still keeps asking me for password. Now usually I wouldn't mind to type it in all the time though it's irritating when it's over a single FREE app every time

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 29, 2017 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2017 1:40 PM

Good afternoon KingOfJaws,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If you are being asked to type in your iTunes Store password, there may be an issue with the account. Just to be sure, I would suggest checking the billing information for your account, signing out of the iTunes Store on your iPhone, restarting the device and signing back in.

Change or remove your Apple ID payment information

Although the resource below was created for people who have multiple Apple ID's, you would be signing out and signing back in with your current iTunes Store Apple ID.

Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch​

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store. On iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iTunes & App Store. If you see the option to Sign In, you can change your Apple ID now.
  2. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

User uploaded file
  3. Go back to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store. On iOS 10.2 or earlier, go back to Settings > iTunes & App Store.
  4. Tap Sign In, then enter your Apple ID and password.

User uploaded file
Please reply to this thread if you are still having trouble downloading free apps to your iPhone after checking your account settings, signing out of your account, and signing back in.

Take care.
29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2017 1:40 PM in response to KingOfJaws

Good afternoon KingOfJaws,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If you are being asked to type in your iTunes Store password, there may be an issue with the account. Just to be sure, I would suggest checking the billing information for your account, signing out of the iTunes Store on your iPhone, restarting the device and signing back in.

Change or remove your Apple ID payment information

Although the resource below was created for people who have multiple Apple ID's, you would be signing out and signing back in with your current iTunes Store Apple ID.

Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch​

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store. On iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iTunes & App Store. If you see the option to Sign In, you can change your Apple ID now.
  2. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

User uploaded file
  3. Go back to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store. On iOS 10.2 or earlier, go back to Settings > iTunes & App Store.
  4. Tap Sign In, then enter your Apple ID and password.

User uploaded file
Please reply to this thread if you are still having trouble downloading free apps to your iPhone after checking your account settings, signing out of your account, and signing back in.

Take care.

Nov 17, 2017 7:18 AM in response to Chrissyn1

I've been experiencing a somewhat similar problem the past week or so--my iPhone SE, iOS 10.3.3 will, at random intervals, maybe once or twice a day display a pop-up message saying SIGN-IN REQUIRED, Enter the password for xxxxx@xxxx.com, which is one of my email accounts, and also my Apple iCloud account. When I enter the email password, it is not satisfied so apparently it is wanting the Apple ID password. Why oh why has this "feature" suddenly presented itself? And if that is what it wants, then why not specify that it's the Apple ID that it needs? BTW, I am still able to install/upgrade apps using only Touch-ID; it doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Sep 19, 2017 3:05 AM in response to KingOfJaws

I had the same issue after unboxing new iPad. After 2 days I got fed up and found this post, nothing here worked so I reset the iPad (all data and setting) as I had nothing on it I couldn't get back. Now works perfect. I dont know if a lesser reset, such as setting only, might work before a sledge hammer effect off resetting everything.

Nov 29, 2017 7:10 AM in response to Leanne_68

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I've followed the instructions to sign out and sign back in. In other conversations I saw the suggestion to restore the iPhone so I did that. Neither has provided a long term fix. Both work for a day or so but then the problem recurs.

Are there any other suggestions, or other forums where we can look for a solution?

Dec 4, 2017 12:11 AM in response to KingOfJaws

Ok, same problem here but only since two days. Had other problem. Phone kept going in lock mode during use of certain apps and using the clock. Needed to do a reset (without deleting files or settings) after which the phoned worked normally besides this problem: I am not able to install any application as store is constantly asking for a password. So I tried with password change, change of billing info, restart etc. Now it works and it seems a combination of issues:

- billing info was outdated (as I never use any paid option)

- because I ordered a year ago one app, think it was trying if my billing info still worked

- blocked me from installing any application and keeps asking for password (no logic with Apple)

- updated billing info, logged out from apple store, restarted, was asked for some permissions during restart, logged in back on Apple store (without entering password???) and could install a free app today.

Hope this will continue to work.....

Bad logic.

Dec 4, 2017 9:42 AM in response to KingOfJaws

it could be an error related to your credit card being declined because when i had my credit card on my accunt it stopped me.

After i removed the credit card and used itunes store cards to pay for apps and **** i found the problem gone.

I found a solution to this problem i just hard-rebooted my iphone and found it gone and i could install my apps again just fine!

to do that for iphone users 6 and up hold down the volume down button and the lock/sleep screen button on the side of the phone at the same time until it shows a apple logo then release the two buttons.

for people with a iphone 4/4S/5/5C/5S/SE use the top button and the home button simotaneously and that should do the trick!

Hope this helps many of you all out there!

It worked for me!:)

Jan 8, 2018 10:39 AM in response to KingOfJaws

I too have had this irritating issue for a couple of months, even still after getting a new phone so it much have come with my backup. I have googled how to fix it and tried everything suggested with zero luck UNTIL I found something I hadn't tried before and IT WORKED!!!

YAY!

Hopefully it will for you too - good luck!

Settings

General

Reset

Rest All Settings

Jan 11, 2018 6:51 PM in response to Kiv80

Just reset my iPad Pro and it’s doing it. I downloaded about three apps without a problem, but then it asked for Youtube. Five minutes later Youtube downloaded without being asked. It’s a bug that Apple is ignoring. In the itunes and app settings I had to enter my password five times before I could set it to allow free downloads without signing in. I then tried downloading QR Scanner and it asked for my password! I hate IOS 11.

Jan 14, 2018 5:18 AM in response to Leanne_68

I had finally created my own Apple ID and password after using my wife's account. I thought that had fixed the storage problem that I had inadvertently created on her phone. But, similar to others, I am being asked for Apple ID and password to update free apps on my phone. Except in this case, it is asking me for my wife's ID and password. Is this because it is somehow tied to itunes? I don't have an itunes account but I thought it went hand in hand with logging in. But I need to update my apps with my own ID and password and can't figure out how to get my phone to recognize my ID and password and stop asking me for my wife's ID and password; I thought I had fixed that.

iTunes keep asking for password on free apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.