Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB tethering doesn't work on Windows 10

Yesterday, I connected my phone to my laptop via USB and the tethering worked just fine. I then updated both iTunes and my iPhone to the latest version. Now I can't connect my laptop to my personal hotspot with USB. iTunes recognized my phone just fine. Any help?

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.1, iTunes version: 12.6.0.100

Posted on Apr 29, 2017 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2017 8:39 PM

I have finally fixed the problem by installing the correct driver on my laptop.

I went to the device manager and found my iPhone within "Other devices". I right clicked on it and selected properties.

I then went to the driver tab and selected "Update Driver..."

I selected "Browse my computer for driver software" and browsed for a file.

I went to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\NetDrivers", selected OK, then selected Next.

And finally, the problem has been fixed.

Thanks for taking your time to reply!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2017 8:39 PM in response to Teddy_B

I have finally fixed the problem by installing the correct driver on my laptop.

I went to the device manager and found my iPhone within "Other devices". I right clicked on it and selected properties.

I then went to the driver tab and selected "Update Driver..."

I selected "Browse my computer for driver software" and browsed for a file.

I went to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\NetDrivers", selected OK, then selected Next.

And finally, the problem has been fixed.

Thanks for taking your time to reply!

Apr 29, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Donuton

Hello Donuton,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that after updating iTunes and your iPhone to the latest software, you can't connect your laptop to your Personal Hotspot via USB. I'll be glad to help assist you with this.

Please try the troubleshooting steps in support article: Get help with Personal Hotspot on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch , specifically:

If you can't connect to Personal Hotspot with USB

Follow the steps below for your Mac or Windows PC. To avoid unnecessary data charges, turn off Personal Hotspot when you don't need it. If you don't, every time you plug your iOS device with Personal Hotspot into your computer to charge, your computer will connect to Personal Hotspot.

Connect your Mac to Personal Hotspot with USB

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your Mac to the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. Then make sure that iTunes recognizes your iOS device.
  3. Go to System Preferences > Network.
  4. Select iPhone USB. If you don’t see it, click User uploaded file and add it. If you already have a different network connection, your Personal Hotspot connection might not activate until you uncheck “Disable unless needed” under Status.
    User uploaded file
  5. Click User uploaded file and choose Make Service Inactive.
    User uploaded file
  6. Then choose Make Service Active.

Connect your Windows PC to Personal Hotspot with USB

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your computer to the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. Then, make sure that you can locate and view your iPhone or iPad in iTunes.
  3. Follow the steps provided by Microsoft to check your Internet connection in Windows 10 or Windows 7.

Please skip any of the steps that you've already tried.

If you still have an issue after that, let's try a reinstall of iOS since this just started after you updated software on your iPhone. First, use this article to make sure that you have a backup of your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch . Then, use this article to reinstall iOS: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . Note: This article is intended to be for a different issue but following steps 1-5 will help you reinstall iOS without erasing data.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Apr 29, 2017 7:58 PM in response to Teddy_B

I have not tried reinstalling iOS yet, but I did try to connect my phone to another laptop, which was also running Windows 10. The laptop identified my phone as an Ethernet connection but it showed up as "Unidentified" and there was no internet connection. When my phone is connected to my laptop, it did not show up as a network. Perhaps the problem is with my laptop?

USB tethering doesn't work on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.