Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In photos I have had some strange images after editing.

Hi,

While using Photos to edit images I have had some strange results. Most of the time I have no problem but....

This screen shot shows how an image is broken up after editing. I have tried "revert to original" but that does little to help. Re editing results in an image like this:

User uploaded file

The actual image is the thumbnail to the left but the central strip images are from another photo.

It has only happened twice but I cannot explain how I got back to the correct image because I tried many things, including, revert to original, undo and re edit and a few other fiddles with little success. This is frustrating.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix?

Doug

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2017 3:42 PM

16 replies

May 3, 2017 4:24 PM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

The new photo library does the same corruption on the problem photo file. It imports and looks correct. I then edit with crop, rotate a few degrees and a small adjust. Click done and all is well but when I go to thumbnail view

User uploaded fileit looks like this. I can go to full image view and edit mode and the image looks good.

Only the thumbnail image is corrupted.

I also tried reimporting the original photo from the SD card with the same problems.

A few new photos this evening have gone well with no corruption so far.

Doug

Apr 30, 2017 9:05 AM in response to douglasfromsouthport

There have been several posts with similarly corrupted photos, and in all cases the photos have been already corrupted on import, but the users did not notice it until they tried to edit the photos.

Make a test and try to export the original image file from Photos with "File > Export > Export unmodified original".

Does the original image file show the same corruption when viewed in "Preview"?

Similar cases:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7651413?answerId=30584555022#30584555022&ac_cid=tw123456#30584555

oder: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7402409

Apr 30, 2017 10:25 AM in response to douglasfromsouthport

I tried the "export unmod. original" and when viewed in preview the image is normal and as I wanted it.

That is good news, Doug

So your photos have been imported correctly, and the original image files are good.

Perhaps it is an issue with your graphics card or memory. Check with a hardware test: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25696?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_IN

Apr 30, 2017 10:09 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

I tried the "export unmod. original" and when viewed in preview the image is normal and as I wanted it.

When I work on the image in photos, the image is not corrupted until "done" but not every time. If I then edit again the image appears normal until "done".

I have just clicked 'edit' and 'done', I now have a normal image!!!! in photos. I didn't edit the image this time.

I did try exporting to Facebook before I raised the issue here and the corrupted image remained so but all the other images showed correctly.

I have just exported to FB and the image is now showing correctly????

The previous image that corrupted (unknown correction technique, I lost track of what I did.) is still showing correctly.

The problem comes and goes, the images when imported to 'photos' are not corrupted and only one image out of 35 this time and previously 1 out of 57 corrupted. Both images are showing correctly now.

This is puzzling and a worry for my photo collection.

Doug

May 2, 2017 3:04 PM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

I've just opened Photos and the image I used to demo the problem (which was corrected somehow?) is now corrupted again, in exactly the same way. I studied the image carefully and noticed the strip image, repeated 3.5 times in the centre is from a photo taken 6 shots earlier, the thumbnail images are all from the photo I was working on.

When I view the image in edit mode it is not corrupted but when I go to 'moments' the thumbnail there is corrupted.

Baffling

Doug

May 3, 2017 7:42 AM in response to douglasfromsouthport

I wonder, if your Photos Library has a corruption?

You can test this by creating a new Photos Library. Export a few of the problematic photos with "Export unmodified original" and import them into a new library. To create a new library, launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥ until you are seeing the library chooser panel. Select to create a new library.

Import the exported originals and try editing. Does the problem occur again?

May 3, 2017 10:41 PM in response to douglasfromsouthport

I also tried reimporting the original photo from the SD card with the same problems.

I'd try a test with a different SD card. Perhaps the photos already got damaged on the card.

And perhaps you could post the original of one of the broken photos in your Dropbox for download and post a link, so we can try on our Mac, if the results are the same.

May 4, 2017 9:58 AM in response to douglasfromsouthport

Hello, Doug. I could download the photo (the original size link) and tested it in Photos, Aperture, Preview, and iPhoto. So far I can see no artifacts. I'll test tomorrow when I am in my office on my iMac as well.

Edit:

I also tested using a photo editing extension - DxO Optics pro. After reverting the edits to the original the full size image suddenly changed to thumbnail size and I had to reimport the photo.

In photos I have had some strange images after editing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.