Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i know if my macbook pro is refurbished

hi guys,

I just purchased a 2016 macbook pro non-touch bar version from an online retailer.

How can i check if it is a refurbished model?

What are some of the other things i should check before the return period?

battery health shows 1 charge cycle.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Non-touch bar version

Posted on May 3, 2017 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2017 11:40 PM

Go to Apple Menu > About This Mac > System Report. Check the Model Number in your MacBook Pro against this list:

Identify your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

22 replies

May 4, 2017 8:38 AM in response to BraveHeart0707

Hi,

You have a one year hardware warranty from date of purchase. I doubt the issue is that it's a refurb, but if you just purchased it, something is not right. For one thing, which is really irrelevant, the 2016 Touch Bar models weren't even released until October 2016.

You also have 90 days of free phone support. Now is the time to use it to get this straightened out.

May 4, 2017 12:10 AM in response to kaz-k

it says Macbook pro 13,1, which according to the list, does match my configuration.

Is that all?

The thing I don't like is that, when i put in the serial number to check warranty dates, it shows expiration date of Aug 1, 2017. I have not submitted my proof of purchase yet, so i assume they went by manufacture date. Isn't Aug 1, 2016 a little early for the macbook pro 2016 model?

May 4, 2017 8:03 PM in response to BraveHeart0707

My bad, I see you said that in your OP. In any case, if it's a 13,1, it's a 2016 model which wasn't even released until October 2016, just like the TB models, so if you got it the day it was released, the warranty would still go until sometime in October 2017, not August 1. Something is really wrong here.

May 4, 2017 8:12 PM in response to BraveHeart0707

They weren't. See my other posts. First released in OCTOBER 2016. And your battery wasn't manufactured until NOVEMBER, so sometime AFTER that is the earliest it could have been released.

I suspect some kind of glitch in Apple's system. As I said earlier "You also have 90 days of free phone support. Now is the time to use it to get this straightened out."

May 4, 2017 10:29 PM in response to tjk

This is the scenario that i think might've taken place:

The main body of the laptop, minus the battery were manufactured in Aug 2016, before it was released. That seems reasonable for a company to release a product after it has been mass produced and ready to ship. Maybe the battery was manufactured later in November 2016 and inserted into the body, and THEN it gets shipped out.

It is known that companies will only list 1 year warranty from the date of manufacture unless proof of purchase was provided, or if you bought it in the Apple store. I have not submitted my proof of purchase, so maybe that is why Apple website is showing warranty ending date of Aug 2017, a year from when the main body was manufactured.

Anyone think this is reasonable? I will call Apple support and see what they say. But this is my hypothesis right now.

The laptop itself seems to be working fine.

May 5, 2017 9:00 AM in response to BraveHeart0707

I bought from B&H Photo, an Authorized Apple Reseller, and the MBP was correctly registered by them, I had nothing to do with it.

I have doubts about that hypothesis, but there's no way anyone could know.

Yes, definitely call Apple, as they're the final/only answer. This will be interesting to hear. 😉

Glad the MBP is working well anyway.

May 9, 2017 3:01 PM in response to tjk

It looks like I overlooked. The Aug 2017 deadline is for the 90 phone support.

The 1 year warranty now shows up as expiring on May 3, 2018. This is interesting because I actually bought the laptop in April, and did not open/start it up until May 2nd, 2017. So Apple is using actually the date when I first "activated" the laptop.

I wish I had entered the serial prior to using it for the first time, so I can see what the Apple warranty page says, but that ship has sailed now.

Since the Battery is manufactured in Nov 2016, I can only assume the laptop was made at the same time. That sounds normal right? After all this was announced in Oct 2016.

how do i know if my macbook pro is refurbished

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.