Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Airpods Case Will Not Charge

I'm having a very frustrating issue, my Airpods case will not charge.

I went for my run today and pulled out my Airpods, only to find the case was on 0% and the Airpods were on 11%. This was odd because I gave them a full charge just a couple days ago. Paying it no mind I tried to squeeze some play time out of the Airpods and I put the case on the charge plugged into my computer. However when I got back from my run I found the case had not charged at all! I switched the cable out and plugged it into the wall socket instead. After 30 minutes there was still no charge on the case. I tried wiggling the cable, cleaning the charge port, but nothing.

Currently when I'm plugged into the wall I get a flashing amber/orange light on the case. I look at my phone and the little lightning bolt icon next to the case is blinking. I read you can reset the Airpods by holding the button on the back for 15 seconds, however that doesn't seem to be working, I've tried it both plugged and unplugged to the wall.

Any advice is welcome, I'm not sure what to do at this point 😟

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Deggie, very unhelpful.

I kept unplugging and plugging it in and eventually it started charging. I'll keep an eye on it, but very concerning behavior.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Aug 17, 2017 2:59 PM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

Did you sort out the problem? I haven't used my airpods for a couple of months. I wore them the other day, until the point that they went flat. I put the airpods in the charging case and charged them (case was showing at 1% charge). The next morning my airpods were charged at 100%, but the case was showing at 1% and no charging indicator next to it. The light on the case wasn't lit. I tried another cable and left it for 10 hours (initially when I plugged it in it was showing as charging on my phone and the amber light was lit, i saw the charge creep up to 4% and then I left it Charging. After ten hours, the case was showing at 1%, and no light on the case, also no charging indicator on the phone. I am now trying a third cable and will leave it overnight. Can anyone help? Am I doing something wrong?

May 8, 2017 12:17 PM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

So if I had said keep plugging it in that would have better?

I'm glad it started working for you but that may be temporary. If it is use the link I provided in order to have Apple replace it under warranty or make a Genius Bar appointment if one is near.

I'll be happy to not assist you in the future.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

May 8, 2017 12:17 PM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

So if I had said keep plugging it in that would have better?

I'm glad it started working for you but that may be temporary. If it is use the link I provided in order to have Apple replace it under warranty or make a Genius Bar appointment if one is near.

I'll be happy to not assist you in the future.

May 8, 2017 12:17 PM

Reply Helpful (9)

Aug 17, 2017 2:59 PM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

Did you sort out the problem? I haven't used my airpods for a couple of months. I wore them the other day, until the point that they went flat. I put the airpods in the charging case and charged them (case was showing at 1% charge). The next morning my airpods were charged at 100%, but the case was showing at 1% and no charging indicator next to it. The light on the case wasn't lit. I tried another cable and left it for 10 hours (initially when I plugged it in it was showing as charging on my phone and the amber light was lit, i saw the charge creep up to 4% and then I left it Charging. After ten hours, the case was showing at 1%, and no light on the case, also no charging indicator on the phone. I am now trying a third cable and will leave it overnight. Can anyone help? Am I doing something wrong?

Aug 17, 2017 2:59 PM

Reply Helpful (24)

Sep 6, 2017 6:54 PM in response to Luke680 In response to Luke680

Hi Luke, not really. I blew air into the lightning socket a couple of times and tried my 3rd cable, which worked/charged perfectly. I used them again and tried charging them again last week with one of the cables that didn't work before, only this time it charged up OK. So it's either a bit of dust in the port that might have been removed or an intermittent fault with the airpods? I've heard that iPhones can suffer with a speck of dust in the lightning port stopping it from being charged?

Sep 6, 2017 6:54 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Oct 2, 2017 2:41 PM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

I encountered this charging problem too. To figure out the charging issue, I installed a Drok USB current meter in between to see if there is a current draw. It turns out whenever the USB meter is installed, there is a current draw and it is indeed charging. Without the USB meter, it is unlikely to be charging with a general USB wall charger.

I suspect it has something to do with the power source/adapter. When the same cable is plugged in to an USB high end wall charger (e.g. Anker QC3.0 USB wall charger) or a MacBook Pro USB port, the charging is likely to work but not with a general USB wall charger (2A output) originally for an Android phone.

This is more like a workaround but better than nothing.

Oct 2, 2017 2:41 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Oct 13, 2017 6:54 AM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

My AirPods case wouldn't charge even tho I had it plugged in the outlet. I plugged the case in to the computer and bam the case started charging. Answer : try plugging it in to the computer instead of the wall outlet. That's what worked for me.

Oct 13, 2017 6:54 AM

Reply Helpful (12)

Nov 20, 2017 9:32 AM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

Followed suggestions here about plugging it into a PC vs wall charger... wanted to report my weird findings that it seems like my AirPods will charge only when I plug them into my MacBook, but not on my Windows PC. No idea what's going on there as the Windows PC is a desktop and has fully powered USB ports (tried a 2.1 and a 3.0 port). Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of replacement since I found a work around, but still odd.

Nov 20, 2017 9:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 20, 2017 9:38 AM in response to McCringleberry In response to McCringleberry

On a desktop PC some of the USB ports are direct and full power (normally the ones in the rear) and some are slaves and have very little power (normally the ones on the front). This is sometimes reversed on machines designed for gaming.

Nov 20, 2017 9:38 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 14, 2017 3:34 PM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

HI everyone,

I was having this same problem and while reading the posts here I thought maybe it's the amperes of the power source. I had it plugged on my computer USB hub so I tried switching it directly to a 2.4 amps usb plug directly to an electric outlet and it worked.

Just sharing. 🙂 Happy Holidays!

Dec 14, 2017 3:34 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 29, 2017 8:09 AM in response to SET0TITAN In response to SET0TITAN

Tested and the reported is true! It doesn't charge in the wall outlet... but it does work on my MacBook Pro. What the ****? Since Steve is gone I've been getting more and more disappointed with Apple. First Magic Mouse, iPhone 7 without headphone port, iOS 10 and 11 full of severe bugs, old iPhones CPU clock being throttled, now this... I'm seriously considering getting out of Apple's ecosystem.

Dec 29, 2017 8:09 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: SET0TITAN

Question: Airpods Case Will Not Charge