Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I pair two Bluetooth headphones to Apple TV to listen to the tv

CCan I use two Bluetooth headsets simultaneously to listen to TV on apple tv

Posted on May 13, 2017 12:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 7:18 PM

I just bought my Apple TV 4K last week (January 2018), and can confirm two Bluetooth headphones CANNOT be connected at the same time. It disconnects the audio to one when you connect a second headphone. Both can be ”paired”, but you cannot listen to audio from two Bluetooth headphones at the same time on Apple TV 4K.

Has anyone figured out a workaround for this? My wife and I would like to watch some new movies while our newborn is sleeping, thought it would be great to have a new setup to show her, but the Bluetooth limitations are beginning to frustrate me.

I know there are wireless dongle things I can get and stream audio to multiple headphones, but I want something reliable without lag. Any suggestions?

16 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2018 7:18 PM in response to vazandrew

I just bought my Apple TV 4K last week (January 2018), and can confirm two Bluetooth headphones CANNOT be connected at the same time. It disconnects the audio to one when you connect a second headphone. Both can be ”paired”, but you cannot listen to audio from two Bluetooth headphones at the same time on Apple TV 4K.

Has anyone figured out a workaround for this? My wife and I would like to watch some new movies while our newborn is sleeping, thought it would be great to have a new setup to show her, but the Bluetooth limitations are beginning to frustrate me.

I know there are wireless dongle things I can get and stream audio to multiple headphones, but I want something reliable without lag. Any suggestions?

Dec 23, 2017 3:50 AM in response to Nicko97

if it is then I don't believe the a2dp profile support any sort of sync feedback so many people

complain that even with just 1 Bluetooth headset they can experience video and audio not being sync

then with multispeaker that would be even worse. there is not requirement of how long a headset/ speaker can spend on decoding and cleaning up the audio with filters and maybe cancel outside background noise.

Jan 6, 2018 6:43 PM in response to vazandrew

Ah, apparently not. I have new Bose sound-cancelling over-ear headphones and I just figured they had the latest capability. After some research, they do not. I was thinking of picking up a few new cheap 5.0 Bluetooth headphones to test it out. The way the prompt was worded on the apple tv leads me to believe it still wont work, but I will try and give an update here.

Jan 22, 2018 7:27 AM in response to TMNTony

I am hoping that's a simple matter of time before the AppleTV 4K will support this since it does apparently implement Bluetooth 5, and BT5 does support broadcasting to multiple headphones simultaneously. How can we get Apple to listen to us and get them to provide a fix. Also, I would have thought that BT5 would only need to be implemented on the device controlling the audio ie AppleTV or say a modern IPhone/IPad. BT4 headphones should see no difference and just work as if receiving from a source device which is paired to it in isolation. (Just speculation though, really because I have just bought a pair of BT headphones which are only BT 4.1 I think, argh I might have to send them back and look for BT5 ones).

Jan 22, 2018 11:41 AM in response to vazandrew

Are you sure about what you're saying? I get your point about the headphones and that they need to implement BT5, but I have not seen any evidence anywhere that although AppleTV 4K supposedly implements BT5, that you can actually stream to multiple compatible BT headphones at the same time. I hope to be wrong on this and if so I will definitely returning the BT headphones I've recently bought (they haven't arrived yet). All I have seen so far is that you can pair multiple headphones and select a single pair to listen through, but as soon as you select another pair the other one gets disconnected (It's just occurred to me that whoever reported that wasn't using BT5 headphones ). If you're right, then I'll be also be dashing out to buy an AppleTV 4K too.

Jan 22, 2018 12:22 PM in response to TMNTony

Hi TMNTony, can you confirm what version of Bluetooth your earphones are? vazandrew made a valid comment about the headphones also needing to support BT5. I have tried looking for a pair of BT5 headphones and they are not really available yet, so I would be surprised if your headphones were and that may be the cause of the issue.

Can I pair two Bluetooth headphones to Apple TV to listen to the tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.