Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop iMessage from sending activation SMS

My iphone7 keeping sending global message (which is chargeable) to activate iMessage. How can I stop this? Already tried switch on or off the iMessage in the setting, no effect

Posted on May 13, 2017 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2017 6:37 PM

As I said, and I'll repeat in bold, It is not sufficient to turn off FaceTime and iMessage to stop the international SMS messages. You MUST Log Out of FaceTime and iMessage. Setting a restriction won't work either, unless you LOG OUT.

In order to log out you must first turn FaceTime and iMessage ON. If you don't you won't see the Send & Receive.

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2017 6:37 PM in response to lhpeggy

As I said, and I'll repeat in bold, It is not sufficient to turn off FaceTime and iMessage to stop the international SMS messages. You MUST Log Out of FaceTime and iMessage. Setting a restriction won't work either, unless you LOG OUT.

In order to log out you must first turn FaceTime and iMessage ON. If you don't you won't see the Send & Receive.

User uploaded file

May 15, 2017 1:32 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

There is no "Send & Receive" option in "Setting>Messages". Now I only turn off the first option there which is ïMessage".

For FaceTime, I have restricted it under "Setting>General>Restrictions".

I am still receiving the pop up messages saying that "your carrier may charge for sending SMS to activate your iMessage", where I click "Cancel" and keep the ïMessage" option off. But I'm not able to know whether it is still sending global SMS or not until the month end bill is out.

How to stop iMessage from sending activation SMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.