Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random fire alarm sound

I was just laying in my bed looking at, well, memes on an app called iFunny and then I hear a loud beep, sounding like a fire alarm. So I looked around my house trying to find the sound, with my iPhone in my pocket. I was absolutely baffled because it sounded like the alarm was on me and I didn't know my iPhone 7 could even get that loud. It made no notification and I had no alarm. I have no idea why my phone decided to alert me. If you have any thoughts please help.

Posted on May 18, 2017 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2017 9:09 AM

Apparently, you are not alone.

Has anyone else experienced a random fire alarm sound coming from there iPhone?

39 replies

May 18, 2017 10:52 PM in response to Johnny360guy

OMG, the same thing just happened to me. I was so scared. The first thought that came to my mind was that I was somehow hacked. But there was a little smoke in the kitchen, I'm just not sure why or how it could be played through my phone.. I checked what played the noise and it was somehow a website with the url as "us.hankie796jf.pw".. im not sure if it could be a virus or what. I hope apple knows something

May 18, 2017 9:13 AM in response to Johnny360guy

Is it very possible that you have Government Alerts activated on the iPhone? Check Settings>Notifications>Government Alerts. If there is an emergency alert such as a flood warning, severe weather warning, or an Amber warning, you will get those, and they sound whether the device is on mute or not, and the volume is set to high and cannot be changed.

May 18, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Demo

It should show up on the screen when it is occurring, and if you check notifications, you should see what it is as well. Most of them will remain in Notifications until you remove them. However, the first time you ever hear that sound, there will be no doubt in your mind what it is, especially if you are somewhere where you don't want it to sound, i.e. church, work, etc..

May 25, 2017 10:45 AM in response to Johnny360guy

This just happened to me today. It was extremely loud and I thought it was a real fire alarm. I read some stuff online and a lot of people are linking it with the use of an app (ifunny, mostly, but I wasn't using this app nor do I have it). I was wondering if you were using any specific apps when this happened to you. Mine showed that it was playing from some website called gigroity.info ... this is not a website I had up. I closed out all of my apps immediately, but didn't look to see what app officially closed the sound. I was able to pause the sound when the little iTunes logo thing showed.

Jun 14, 2017 9:21 AM in response to jdc1987

I did some things I haven't had it since my last post. First there is an app that's allowing ads to make this sound. In my case it was the Grindr app. I have emailed them many times. I hope they stopped those ads. Secondly, I think if you double click home button and close the app manually each time, the ad won't make the noise because the app is not opened in the background to allow it. I hope this helps. Let me know if this helps u so I can confirm that's the solution.

Oct 15, 2017 10:23 AM in response to Paddy Campbell

This is not something from Apple. At least with the information that you provided this time, it is a little easier to get to the bottom of this. Seems that this IP address belongs to a company by the name of Linode (www.linode.com). It seems from the balance of my search, that it is a company that is a cloud hosting service for developers. That would make one believe they are providing something for an app that you may have on your device. It may be rather difficult to trace that in the App Store, since it does not appear they are the developer, but rather just a hosting service. Given the extreme number of apps and/or games available, it may be hard to determine what app all of the posters here may have in common. But, that seems to be where it is coming from.

Oct 15, 2017 2:19 PM in response to Johnny360guy

I think this is an advert that some apps are allowing. This has happened to me 3 times today, twice whilst using the We Heart It app and once with Wattpad. I know other people are hearing it on iFunny and dating apps like tinder, all of which allow adverts and it’s never happened to me when I’m not using my phone (or one of the previously mentioned apps for that matter) which makes me think it’s directly linked to the adverts in the apps rather than the phone or apple itself. People have been having similar issues with android phones so it’s not just iPhones having the problem. Fingers crossed it’s just an annoying ad rather than a virus.

Random fire alarm sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.