Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15 2016 Touch Bar left speaker blown, Without bootcamp

Hello guys,

My Macbook pro 15 touchbar, left speaker is blown out (the left speaker is too quit compared to the right one).

I found a lot of articles about a blown speaker, but all the articles blaming bootcamp as the cause.

I've never installed bootcamp on my computer, but still got the problem.

Is there an option too fix it, or just return it to apple?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on May 28, 2017 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2017 6:00 PM

Hi! Unfortunately, I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro 15'' w/Touch Bar (2016-2017).

I've done every single recommendation about to adjust parameters in "Sound app" and "Audio MIDI Config" and none of them was successful. In my case, the right speaker sounds down like "in mono", in contrast with the left speaker, which sounds in stereo and well.

In my opinion, if many users have the same problem, Apple must give a declaration about that and say what is the most right way to solve the problem.

Thanks for the help!

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2017 6:00 PM in response to patchamamma

Hi! Unfortunately, I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro 15'' w/Touch Bar (2016-2017).

I've done every single recommendation about to adjust parameters in "Sound app" and "Audio MIDI Config" and none of them was successful. In my case, the right speaker sounds down like "in mono", in contrast with the left speaker, which sounds in stereo and well.

In my opinion, if many users have the same problem, Apple must give a declaration about that and say what is the most right way to solve the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 22, 2017 2:17 AM in response to patchamamma

Have a 2017 Mac Book pro 15 with touch bar. Yesterday my left speaker was blown out (no bootcamp installed).

I opened up the macbook (the volume was set at ~20%), and after dragging a youtube tab to a secondary monitor and pressing play the left speaker started producing a lout crackling noise (like electricity) for about 15 seconds.

It did not react to muting/setting volume lower/higher, so I already had a feeling that this will result in speaker damage and yes, after a reboot, the tweeter in the left speaker is blown out and it only plays low/mid frequency sounds... very disappointed! This thing costs 3050$, and something like that is just unacceptable!

May 29, 2017 2:01 PM in response to patchamamma

Hi patchamamma,

I understand you have a concern with one of the speakers on your MacBook Pro. While the articles below may not describe your exact concern, these steps may help with your issue.

Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don‘t make sound​

macOS Sierra: If you can’t hear sound from your speakers

Please let us know if the issue persists, and thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Aug 23, 2017 6:00 AM in response to patchamamma

I have a similar problem with my right speaker. I can her crackling and burping sound particularly when low tones are boosted slightly though equaliser. I have a 15 inch model from 2016 with Touch Bar and it turns into a small disaster. I had to replace the screen two months after purchase and 2 months later this happens.

Mar 8, 2018 11:16 AM in response to patchamamma

Hello all,
Same happened to me about a month back for the left speaker then apple replaced the whole topcase and the whole screen since that was scratched from the keyboard (which is a problem ever since apple using the glossy finish on the screens......). The computer was about 6 months old (2016 15inch touchbar Pro...)
Now 2 weeks after the repair, I was opening my macbook and terrible cracking noise came from the right speaker so now the right hand speaker is blown.
This is starting to be a bad joke. What is happening with apple? Is there any chance I can return the whole computer to Apple and get a refund?

I used many previous generations of Macbooks, they were far from perfect, had problems, but this last generation is next level. Worst ever and I am struggling to understand Apple can stand with this terrible quality.
I am not worried because Apple is going to replace the topcase again (a full topcase with keyboard and battery just for a blown speaker because everything is glued into one piece) but now my computer is in service for 1 week of the month which is obviously a problem as I am using it for work...

Mar 14, 2018 6:16 PM in response to patchamamma

I have had this issue several times.

I have had my MBP 15'' 2016 touch bar in repairs with apple around 9 times by now.

the first time this occured they had to replace both the top case and logic board, the top case alone did not seem to solve the issue for me.

but after a few more things went wrong, they replaced the entire device.

now on the new one that I got last june this is happening again, and I've had this one repaired four times for a variety of issues already.

while this is covered in warranty, I'm not super hyped about not having my laptop again for about two weeks for the 10th time.

Apr 11, 2018 7:49 AM in response to DrParanoia

The same exact thing happened to me! Apple said it would be an $800 repair for the right speaker. I was 2 weeks out of warranty. Now I have to play audio through the left only on a $2500 laptop. Im going to try and open her up and try to fix it. I wonder if you and I could share our stories and try to get apple to fix it. I already tried Genius Bar and when I chatted with online support they said Genius Bar rules here. The Genius Bar was useless, they just said oh yeah its broken that will be $800.

Jul 10, 2018 2:25 PM in response to mdhurst

Really?!? All the new gadgets at the Microsoft store across the hall! I tell you what after spending 3000 on this POS I am switching. Just think of the machine I could have if I spent that much on a surface pro? Guess what they don't use a skinny little touch bar that makes no sense either. If I have ever used that thing I would be surprised. They teach you not to look at the keyboard when you learn to type.

Jul 30, 2018 6:16 AM in response to Mike73852

I just took mine in. The test showed up normal but you could clearly hear it was blown. I have Apple Care so no charge. I have a couple other issues as well but the speaker is not a software issue. Turns out that the whole top plate has to be replaced for a speaker. That includes the keyboard, batteries, track pad and logic board. At least I think the logic board I’m not sure on that one. Hopefully I get a decent keyboard mine was actually ok and now I’m worried l will get a bad one. As I said before it was a big fail for this Mac. Junk. Sorry I wasted over 3000 on this piece of shiny eye candy.

Jul 30, 2018 6:55 AM in response to sterling r

It is obvious that so many of us are having the SAME problem with blown out speakers on our brand new MacBooks. This is obviously a manufacturer defect. Why should we be expected to shell out hundreds of dollars because of defective hardware? Is there a way to have this part covered under a recall? Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15 2016 Touch Bar left speaker blown, Without bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.