Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open pw protected zip file?

Hello,

I have a pw protected zip file and want to open this in my MAC.

The zip file and the pw are correct, it works with 7zip under windows.

I tried millions of apps to unzip it under MAC, always the same "wrong password" (or something like that). When I try to do it via CLI, I got the following error:

"unsupported compression method 99"

Any hints how to open this file without using a windows program?

Regards,

mr_drlove

macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jun 23, 2017 4:23 AM

20 replies

Jun 23, 2017 6:17 AM in response to mr_drlove

I just created a 7-zip archive here with an older tool, added password, and wrote out the 7z file to my Desktop. I right-clicked on this file, chose Open with, and using TheUnarchiver, was able to supply the password and extract the content correctly. On OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Although I have Windows 10 running here in a VM, I do not have any 7-zip tool on it to further test platform issues.

Jun 23, 2017 6:40 AM in response to mr_drlove

The error message implies it is using a (presumed) newer variant of .7z than the Mac tools you have tried support. I encountered a similar issue with a .rar file recently which was in the new version 5 RAR format.

Whilst there are at least two tools that I know now support v5 of RAR on a Mac I do not what format/version your file is in and whether any Mac tools support it. You can see information about the .7z format here http://www.7-zip.org/7z.html

The same website lists various .7z tools that either they provide or recommend. The only Mac tool listed for .7z files is Keka which is what I have myself used in the past. The current version of Keka is 1.0.9 but there is a Keka 1.1.0beta which you could also try. See http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

Most compression tools and formats actually have multiple different compression schemes they can use although most of the time these choices are hidden and unnecessary. Zip has multiple variants, RAR has and so does .7z, if you look at the first webpage I linked to i.e. the .7z website you can see it lists at least seven different versions it can do. When you created a new test file and then successfully opened it you will have created it using a variant your tool understood, the problem here seems to be it has been created with a more esoteric or newer variant than the Mac tools you have tried understand.

If the latest or beta Keka cannot open it then you may need to try using a PC or Windows in a virtual machine, or ask the sender of the file to redo it in a different format.

Jun 23, 2017 6:58 AM in response to John Lockwood

Thank you for the hint, but I did not helped. Keka 11.0 beta is also not able to unpack this archive.

Yes working with a windows pc and using 7zip v.9.20, so very old (actual we have 16.X-whatever), works without problems. So I'm not really sure if this zip archive is made with a very new crazy option. Because my old version of 7zip would also not be able to unzip it.

Jun 23, 2017 7:24 AM in response to dialabrain

No the extension is zip. The password is very long has blanks an one special character.

I also download p7zip using HomeBrew.

A similar problem, unpacking did not work but with a different message: "wrong password". But I used copy & paste and also tried to handover the pw using CLI switch.

So I am at the end of my ideas. Many thanks for the suggestions.

Jun 23, 2017 7:54 AM in response to mr_drlove

Your mentioning using 7zip under Windows has probably confused a few of us in to thinking this was to do with a .7z file.

The .zip format is actually 'owned' by a company called WinZip. They have their own product they sell and also sell a Mac version. See http://www.winzip.com/mac/en/

As mentioned .zip also has multiple varieties. You could try the trial Mac product from the above.

.zip and .7z are really two totally different formats.

Jun 23, 2017 8:14 AM in response to John Lockwood

Yes, Joh I know. This was also the first tool tried, without success. The person which sends me the file is not available. But the company which he is working uses normally 7zip. Also you have the ability to create zip archives with 7zip, you only have to select it during creation procedure.

So I'm relatively sure that it was created by 7zip and I tried win zip under mac with no success.

Jun 23, 2017 8:32 AM in response to mr_drlove

A common mistake by Windows users is putting the wrong file extension on files. If they used 7zip to create a ZIP file but used the .7z file extension this would confuse other more law abiding tools and equally possible would be the reverse of them having used 7zip to create a .7z file but using the .zip file extension.

You could as a last resort therefore try on the Mac altering the file extension from .zip to .7z and then re-trying Keko.

However I believe you said you had managed to process this file on a Windows PC so this would be more helpful next time around.

(Mac users do not get off scottfree, they sometimes have the distressing habit of not putting a file extension on files at all.)

How do I open pw protected zip file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.