Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay ringer volume is painfully loud. It startles you beyond belief when driving.

I am running iOS 10.3 on my 2017 CRV. Tried turning the ringer off on my phone, didn't help!

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.3, CarPlay ringer volume

Posted on Jul 22, 2017 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 12:04 PM

I have the same issue in my new Volkswagen Passat. None of the things work and when somebody is calling it’s painfully loud even when I turned the volume down while the previous conversation.

Apple should add a separate volume control for CarPlay. It’s dangerous. The ringer is so terrible loud that I feel like I will have a heart attack each time somebody is calling....

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 12:04 PM in response to Leanne_68

I have the same issue in my new Volkswagen Passat. None of the things work and when somebody is calling it’s painfully loud even when I turned the volume down while the previous conversation.

Apple should add a separate volume control for CarPlay. It’s dangerous. The ringer is so terrible loud that I feel like I will have a heart attack each time somebody is calling....

Jan 12, 2018 6:05 PM in response to AppleDecatur3

I just figured it out!!

Ok so when your phone is plugge into CarPlay, keep your music off and use the volume buttons on the left side of your screen. You can also turn it down with these buttons while the phone is ringing. It just worked for me! I thought I was going to blow my speakers because the ringtone has been SO loud!! Now it’s exactly where I want it to be. You don’t have to go into any settings. No complication. Literally just turn the volume down with your screen not your steering wheelUser uploaded file

Oct 15, 2017 7:12 PM in response to Ric@loud

I have the same issue. Any time you adjust the volume, it adjust both ringtone and voice together. In normal use, the ringtone should be much louder than voice because we attach the phone to our ear when talking but not when it rings. However, we don’t attach our ear to the panel in car when talking, so the volume discrepancy should be in a different setting.

Dec 13, 2017 1:47 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

What’s the difference when you have both hands on the steering wheel and you are talking through a built in microphone and listening through your car audio to your caller? It’s like you would listening to a song and singing in the same time. You don’t have the phone in your hands. It’s connected with Bluetooth to your car audio...

I really don’t see any danger in this situation

Dec 13, 2017 2:03 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Give it a rest. You’re just being an internet troll. You went out of the way to avoid helping someone and start a fight. Anyone who reads this, knows what you are doing, and knows you are wrong. Go do something helpful for a change. By the way, I wrote this while watching a show, entertaining a toddler, and chewing gum. (Some people can multitask better than others)

Jul 23, 2017 7:17 AM in response to colleen216

Hello Colleen,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are experiencing issues with the volume of the ringtone when using your iPhone with your Honda CR-V via CarPlay. To help resolve this issue, please go to Settings > Sounds on your iPhone when you're connected to your car stereo and make sure the Ringer and Alerts volume is not set at full.

Volume controls - iPhone User Guide
About CarPlay - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!

Dec 13, 2017 1:43 PM in response to Patrykgr

So people in Europe can do things that are really stupid, because it isn't illegal? That doesn't make it any safer. Last I checked Europeans were human beings, just like the rest of us. And have the same limitations on their ability to multitask safely.

Listening to music is not the same thing, and you know it. You are just rationalizing.

CarPlay ringer volume is painfully loud. It startles you beyond belief when driving.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.